MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Does anyone use LEE Auto Bench Prime?

Does anyone use LEE Auto Bench Prime?

Hi, My Hand primer is wearing out, at least that's what LEE c/s says. So they offered me a deal on a new one. Do I want the Auto Bench Prime tool?
    After I get my RL450 Dillon going all the heavy lifting will be there. But the single stage presses are always my back up. And this is part of that.
    Much obliged,
    Max

Boolit Master

I have lots of Lee Products and have been using them since the 1970's. The LEE Auto Bench Prime is probably their biggest piece of Bovine Excrement sold. But that's just my opinion.

The trays do not feed well, and the feed tray path is notorious for not cycling correctly - at least that's the way it is on the one I have relegated to being placed inside the original box and sitting at the very back of one of my reloading shelves. Wish they would bring back parts for their original Hand Primers (Not a fan of their new hand held either).
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 04-17-2024 at 12:36 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Mold
    I have one and it works well.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    For what it’s worth, the round tray pre stair step Lee hand primer tools sell on evil bay for around the same money (or more) as the new lawyer approved versions.

You might be money ahead selling it instead of sending it back to Lee. I need the hand lever for my original one. The casting broke at the pivot point. They don’t sell repair parts for the old ones.

Boolit Master

I have opted for the Lee Ram Prime; use it on my Rock Chucker, Lee, and Corbin presses. It might be a little slower than one of the Tray or Tube Primer feeder models; but I find that I can seat primers in a timely manner (and I get a good feel for seating depth/pressure with the Lee Ram Primer).

Attachment 325799
    Click to see picture.

I like it much better than the RCBS primer arm that came with my Rock Chucker I bought in the 1970's. And I prime many thousands of Rifle and Pistol cases each year with it.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Mustang et al, I think I will make my old one work.
    what may give out before I do is the Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure. I have the old one of those too. It's the rectangle one, before the current round hopper.
    Any quick fix for the screws which stripped out?
    Much obliged, Max
    Last edited by max it; 04-17-2024 at 02:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I got my Auto Bench Primer several years ago. Already had the shell holder kit from the lee hand primer. The bench unit just made priming so much easier on the hands. From what I read a lot of the reported issues were from letting the lever slam back instead of following it back. But regardless I had no issues and liked it. Now since I started using the Lee Classic Turret I do most of the priming on that.

Boolit Master

I’ve been using an Auto Bench Primer for a long time. Maybe 6-8 years. Up until a few years ago I was priming & loading 10k + rounds per year. Here’s my take on the Auto Prime.
    1. Depending on what size and brand primers, the triangular feed tray needs a light tap every 8-10 primers because they can get jammed up. I find it feeds better if I only put 50 primers in it at a time.
    2. It has small and large primer dispensers that isolate the primer being set. These are primarily plastic and springs and do fail. I’ve been through six of them, that were replaced under the Lee Warranty. I found that failing to raise the hand lever all the way after priming a case will cause the unit to jamb. Jamb it enough times and the primer dispenser fails because you are trying to force two primers into a plastic slot made for one. Knock on wood, I haven’t screwed one up in a few years, and the last replacements the sent seem to be better designed.
    3. I also cracked the end of the frame / unit that captivates the shell holder. The frame is some kind of casting and where it cracked is subject to stress pressure produced by the ram seating the primer. Again Lee replaced the entire casting under warranty.

Yesterday I primed 600 pieces of 9mm in 90 minutes. I lost one spp when it tipped sideways and seated that way. It happens occasionally with spp’s. Still for what I paid ($30.00, plus the used shell holder set I got for $10.00) and the service I’ve got from Lee, I’m more than satisfied with the Auto Bench Primer.
    But then I guess I’m easy to please.

I still have one! I got tired of buying replacement parts and bought the RCBS bench primer.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho