Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little guy

Boolit Grand Master

Little guy

This little guy was on the drive when I came in from the shop today Looks the the snapping turtles have hatched this year.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0674.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	325764

They're pretty rare, endangered, and protected down here after we ate almost all of 'em.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Haven't seen a lot of turtles for some time. Glad they're still doing their thing.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    They're pretty rare, endangered, and protected down here after we ate almost all of 'em.
    They are safe from me; I'd rather have a hamburger.

Boolit Master

Here in Mississippi, every fallen log on your pond will have a dozen turtles lined up like kitchen canisters by size. Jumbo to Tiny. About 14 years ago when I first moved here I have a 40ft wide 10-20ft deep creek. I killed a snapping turtle about as big around as one of the tires on my 2500 long bed Chevy...Today I would never do that cause it was probably 50 years old. I have a turtle story of one I watched for 10 minutes from my perch over looking that same creek one late summer day 5-6 years ago I won't repeat, cause nobody would believe me.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master

Just for a size comparison he was bigger than a quarter and smaller than a 50 cent piece.

Boolit Master
    We still get them now and again..Not quite warm enough here just yet!!
    The Damn Birds gobble 'em up!!!

Last month a pair of them were doing “Synchronized Sex Swimming” for hours.
    I’d never seen that.
    Scratch that one off the bucket list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    Here in Mississippi, every fallen log on your pond will have a dozen turtles lined up like kitchen canisters by size. Jumbo to Tiny. About 14 years ago when I first moved here I have a 40ft wide 10-20ft deep creek. I killed a snapping turtle about as big around as one of the tires on my 2500 long bed Chevy...Today I would never do that cause it was probably 50 years old. I have a turtle story of one I watched for 10 minutes from my perch over looking that same creek one late summer day 5-6 years ago I won't repeat, cause nobody would believe me.
    I don't believe much of what I read on this site anyways, so go for it.

Moderator Emeritus

100+ year old abandoned granite quarry near me. 200 feet deep... FULL of huge snapping turtles and catfish that scared a diver who went down looking for bodies. In between all the sharp metal in the bottom(it was a dumping ground for years) and the monster catfish divers refuse to go in there now, after he saw the size of the snapping turtles he really refused! I caught one while catfishing and it dang near pulled the edge of the boat under before I got the hook out(no I dd NOT get my fingers near his mouth, used the paddle!). Small boat, 14' long, 42" wide.

Boolit Master
    I didn't know that anyone ate snappers or they were now no longer fair game. but back when we had the fish farm in palatka and cooter turtlers were fair game, many years ago. we would set trot lines across the ponds and catch soft-shell turtles and I would take big bags of turtle meat to this old souther cook that was in charge of the kitchen at the Windjammer and I'd get back half of what I brought her cooked to perfection, breaded and browned then finished in an outstanding gravy. wow that was good. there wasn't anybody who tried it that didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    They are safe from me; I'd rather have a hamburger.
    Me too. With bacon.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I killed a snapping turtle about as big around as one of the tires on my 2500 long bed Chevy....
    I've seen them that big, on a creek from a canoe.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

We cleaned them and cut up into pieces along with the straps inside the upper shell. browned and fried it like chicken. was a very good meal. We would catch them in the sand bottom ditch on the farm.Occasionally the one neighbor who dipped ditches would bring one over. Some of his got pretty big. but then we would pick them up and put in his truck with the hydra hoe. LOL.

Cleaning can be a job but its worth it.

Boolit Grand Master

Wait till one that size wants to climb in the canoe with you.

Boolit Master

Thirty four years ago I caught a snapping turtle on my fishing pole. It was Father's Day weekend and my boys had given me a new lure as a gift. The boys were 6 and 4 at the time. So the four of us are in the canoe, me, the 2 boys and Mom. Well I snagged a snapping turtle on the hind leg, except at the time I thought I had caught my hook in a submerged branch or log. Absolute dead weight. When he came up and became exposed to the air he started thrashing around, banging in to the boat. The 4 year year old freaked out and was crying. No way I was going to put my hand near his mouth, he was the size of a trash can lid, so I used the paddle, beating on his leg to free the hook. The eye hook holding the treble hook to the lure opened up and off he went with the hook still in his leg. If I had been fishing alone I would have cut the line and bought a new lure, but I couldn't do that with the boys present. The panicked son is now 38 and I'm not sure you could get him in a canoe to this day.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

My daughter's FIL tells about him and his brothers finding one big enough to stand on and ride when they were kids.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

Today was another little one enjoying the rain was a little smaller than yesterday. Not sure how many eggs they lay in a group. Or what the average to hatch are.

Boolit Master
    Here in Mississippi, every fallen log on your pond will have a dozen turtles lined up like kitchen canisters by size. Jumbo to Tiny.
    Back when I was a kid, I'd go out to the ponds with my single-shot .22LR and shoot them off the logs. My grandfather always told me they ate all the fish. One pond in particular I could sit at all day popping turtles. They were definitely a little more common here back then than they are today...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    I went back and checked the date on your post because snapping turtles haven’t layed their eggs yet this year.Can’t explain the little turtle but in Ohio they won’t lay for another month plus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast