RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boring Bumblebee killing

Boolit Master

Boring Bumblebee killing

Well I got another chance today at a boring bumblebee. He was about 10 feet off the porch and about the same distance in the air. The last one was closer, and I got him with 3 shots. This one being a little farther took me 4 shots. After the third shot he turned directly toward me and just hovered there looking straight at me. His mistake and my chance, poof from the little junior Daisey and the BB caught him dead on. He joined his ancestors. I am having a ball this spring with them. james

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	884D155F-337F-424B-B635-7CCE69C5B658.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	325774. Bee Killer
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 04-16-2024 at 11:38 PM.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    But! But! But! Shooting bumble bees ain't boring!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Yeah! I like when they give you an opportunity.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    But! But! But! Shooting bumble bees ain't boring!
    Especially if you miss!

Boolit Buddy
    Smoked one with a 20ga shell full of rice Sunday.

Boolit Master
    I have used a black powder gun with toilet paper in the barrel.

I use a caulk gun and cheap construction adhesive. When you find their hole ....especially the buzzing ones with sawdust falling out...fill 'er up! If it's where it's visible, use a putty knife and strike it smooth. Fill the hole and seal the vermin's fate in one action.

Also, a good spray bottle of dawn and water works too. The soapy water will kill them but more often than not it causes them to fall to the ground where they make a pleasant crunching sound beneath my boot. Dawn is cool cause it won't hurt the other critters I don't want dead, doesn't hurt the ground, structure, plants or stink.
    Isaiah 45 - I AM the Lord and there is none else

You may not realize that Bumble Bees are actually an Example of "Warp Speed." Yes a Bumble Bee cannot fly Aerodynamically like a bird or Airplane. Their wings aren't big enough. They fly by creating a Vacuum in front of them in the direction they want to go. They are actually Warping Space to do this just like the Enterprise. Never thought about shooting one, but I do have a Bug Buster Scope on my HW35E!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I use to swing a 2x2 about 36" long to kill the boring type bumblebees but I am not as quick as I once was. Hitting them with the 2x2 is like going up against a good college fastball pitcher. They will actually dodge a swing sometimes. Bounce sideways and leave you with egg on your face. Besides, shooting if more fun and it also helps keep the old moving targets reflexes sharp. I downed a flying wasp yesterday also. He was smaller and moving more so it took me 5 shots on him.

Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    Smoked one with a 20ga shell full of rice Sunday.
    I've shot about 20 with .45LC loaded with rice so far. Here's me blasting one.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/AAhpTP48dF4?feature=shared
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I like the rice idea ! Definitely gonna give that a try . Looks like lots of fun !
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    I like the rice idea ! Definitely gonna give that a try . Looks like lots of fun !
    It is super fun. I loaded 5 rounds then had to go back and load 20 more.

Boolit Master
    I catch them when they ain't lookin' and smack them to the ground and stomp 'em. Not as good with my left hand as I used to be.

Boolit Master

urquell, I have been think about trying to load some .45acp loads with rice or something similar. Care to share how your load details? Do you use a wad of some kind, what do you use to hold the shot, how do you seal the shot? In quiring mind wants to know. james

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    urquell, I have been think about trying to load some .45acp loads with rice or something similar. Care to share how your load details? Do you use a wad of some kind, what do you use to hold the shot, how do you seal the shot? In quiring mind wants to know. james
    James, I took a .45ACP case and drilled a 1/4" hole thru the primer pocket then chucked it up in my drillpress. Turned on the press and held a file against the case mouth until it was sharp. Then cut cardboard wads out of a box with a rubber stall mat under the cardboard with the case spinning in the drillpress.

A hard surface under the cardboard will destroy your case mouth. Punched the wads out with a hex driver thru the primer hole.

Name:	45 wads.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	325809

Primed cases charged with 2gr of Bullseye or whatever fast powder you have. I also used TiteWad but wouldn't be afraid to use anything fast burning. Pack the wad down on top of the powder then fill the case with rice. Melt wax over the rice. No crimp needed. Your primers will back out a little due to not having pressure to seal them in the pocket. Not a problem for my derringer.

Name:	Derringer.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	325810

Name:	45 loads.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	325811

I did also load some with spent KDF-85 well filter media which is copper and zinc shavings and will use them away from my house when in the woods. White wax is rice, red is the media.

Name:	45 shavings.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	325812

Another kill shot video:
    (first click was on the empty chamber)
    https://youtube.com/shorts/dKzC7qiK5...Y52xbvIcZV-Ujp
    Last edited by steve urquell; 04-17-2024 at 10:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Steve urquell have you patterned your loads on cardboard? Would think the solid wax would make a big hole. Am going to make some 45 colt loads when run out of 357 mag loads. I use a 1/32 over shot wad and cover it with fingernail polish. Haven't tried wax, but may try a few.

I would never waste a primer on those damn things but have used a badminton racket to whack them. Tried a tennis racket but it is too heavy and slow. Killed over 600 one summer a few years ago but last year I built traps that work like a charm. Still have them but not as many.

Boolit Buddy
    Does anyone lube their shot with Alox when loading? Wonder if it would keep down any small amount of leading.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the excellent write-up urquell. I never thought of LL on shot but it does sound interesting. Should be easy to do. Thanks for the suggestion/question brokeasajoke. james

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Steve urquell have you patterned your loads on cardboard? Would think the solid wax would make a big hole. Am going to make some 45 colt loads when run out of 357 mag loads. I use a 1/32 over shot wad and cover it with fingernail polish. Haven't tried wax, but may try a few.
    I patterned the KDF85 and it was 16x24" at 5ft. I left a big dent in a porch post shooting a wasp with rice but think it was the cardboard wad. I think the wax shatters when the round fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Thanks for the excellent write-up urquell. I never thought of LL on shot but it does sound interesting. Should be easy to do. Thanks for the suggestion/question brokeasajoke. james
    You're welcome. And as far as wasting a primer on a stinging or destructive insect: I haven't shot that derringer in years. I'm having loads of fun shooting wasps with this thing. Totally worth the primer cost.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast