Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about not casting......

Boolit Grand Master

He should get an infraction for that.... Not casting sacrilege

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    I’ve pretty much gone to Everglades plated bullets. I’ve been very satisfied with both their products and service.
    I just checked out about a dozen online bullet sellers. Did not expect to find so many.

Had not heard of Everglades - but they not only have hollow based wadcutters, but plated ones. My 1858 Remington conversions have to have either heel based bullets or hollow based wadcutters to work. I can make both, both are a real pain. And I can't do plating myself. Already ordered some.

Even if I scaled back my casting I would never stop making muzzleloader stuff. Plain lead round balls are very easy to make and commercially bought ones cost as much as jacketed rifle bullets.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Mold
    I shoot cast in 3 different rifles but don't cast them myself. Where I live it's just not in the cards. So I buy them. I buy 357 158 gr RNF and 165 gr FN 30-30 bullets (both coated) from Missouri Bullets. Have had good luck with 45 ACP 200 gr SWC(also coated) from Bayou Bullets

Boolit Master
    I have used bullets from BullShop, Matt's Bullets, Oregon Bullets with excellent results for 30, 32 and 35 cal. For handgun, Missouri Bullets, Blue Bullets for PC work but have not tried farther than 25 yards in the handguns, I have used others, MOSTLY with satisfactory results. BullShop is a custom caster with a large selection made to your specs. Matt's Bullets - smaller selection but also very well made. Many commercial casters out there. Depending on your time, preferences, lead availability, and wallet - the commercial casters might make sense. Chasing after 'cheap' lead in eastern Wyoming? I can buy good bullets that the poor post person brings to the door for the cost of chasing 'cheap' lead(time, mileage, fuel).

I forgot a local Cheyenne Bullets, good quality.

Boolit Master

Matt's bullets, has some offerings that I can't find anywhere else, although their rifle bullet selection is small, Quality is good.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

I have only shot cast rifle bullts in a 30/30, but Hunter Supply makes good ones.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Wilco, I've forgotten but did you buy some casting equipment while considering it but now are deciding it's too much trouble or were you just considering it and decided to not even dabble in it at all? No wrong answer, I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    Wilco, I've forgotten but did you buy some casting equipment while considering it but now are deciding it's too much trouble or were you just considering it and decided to not even dabble in it at all? No wrong answer, I'm just curious.
    That's a great question and the answer is no, I jumped in with both feet and went deep.
    Really love everything about the cast boolit world.
    That was back in 2007.
    Fast forward to now and we come to that point where everyone does, eventually.
    My life is changing and I may need to simplify things.
    Looking back, I have no regrets but would do some things differently.
    While I'll always maintain the tooling and resources to cast, a path of less fuss and muss is an option.
    And that's what this thread is about.
    Options/choices.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Bub
    I love shooting cast bullets, but between the demands of my job and the various activities and sports my three kids are involved in there just isn't enough time. With so many quality commercial casters it's just easier to buy them and load em up, usually late at night after the family has gone to sleep.

I don't cast as much as I once did and do buy some pre cast from time to time and for a couple of cal. that I don't have molds for.
    I've shot and shoot quite a bit of Missouri Bullet co. 180 gr 357's and 265 gr 45's.
    Also don't have a mold for the 38-55 and have used Oregon Trail, Montana and Bear Creek with good results.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master

I'm 58. I can see myself casting maybe for another 10 years or so. (if I live that long.)

But there will definitely come a time when I'll say enough is enough.

https://choiceammunition.com/product...hi-tek-bullet/
    Found them reliable and shoot straighters!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Any recommendations for pre cast boolit company?

Looking for a variety of calibers and boolit weights.

Mostly rifle stuff.
    Sacrilege! Burn the Unbeliever!!!

If you don't want to cast, you can also swage to get the boolits you need. If you're rich, you can even buy them...

I got into casting because we liked to shoot a lot, and it cut the costs. That has varied over the past 65 years or so. Sometimes it makes more sense than others. Health issues, age, infirmity, and other factors can play in, too. Do what works for you! I've even loaded those J-thingies a few times! +

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    I'm 58. I can see myself casting maybe for another 10 years or so. (if I live that long.) But there will definitely come a time when I'll say enough is enough.
    I got a real shock the other day - average lifespan of an American male is now 92. Last I looked it was 78.

Where did the 80's go? I miss the 80's

I started casting last year at 67.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyhunter View Post
    I love shooting cast bullets, but between the demands of my job and the various activities and sports my three kids are involved in there just isn't enough time. With so many quality commercial casters it's just easier to buy them and load em up, usually late at night after the family has gone to sleep.
    6 cavity molds cast so fast, and powder coating (or tumble lubing) is so easy, I see no reason to ever stop. I can make them fast enough that the cost savings is significant.

For muzzle loaders, casting is even easier, and the cost savings is even more.

Pan lubing and paper patching are something I do because crafting them is fun, it does not make economic sense.

Boolit Mold
    SNS Casting , Blue Bullets , Brass Monkey , RMR ,Are all reliable sources for cast and jacketed bullets .

Boolit Master

Wilco, please be careful. You are trying desperately to climb up an excessively slippery slope in the presence of dozens of alert and motivated enablers.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    I'm only 70 and am casting more bullets per year than I ever did before.

So far I still enjoy it and I like the results I get. I enjoy getting decent accuracy from cast bullets at longer ranges. It is a fun respite from my more accurate jacketed guns.

If I ever do end up quitting casting I'd just go to all jacketed loads (or plated for pistol shooting). I do love precision long range stuff.

Boolit Master
    At 80 I'm still at and enjoying every minute.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12