MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: 7.5x55 forming, no joy in Mudville.

7.5x55 forming, no joy in Mudville.

I've tried multiple searches for information on forming 7.5x55 cases to no avail.

Is my google-fu on the fritz?

Is it the wrong phase of the moon?

Or so simple that any low grade moron could figure it out before breakfast?

Or is it un-doable?

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I am curious as to the parent cartridge you would use for the task. The base diameter of the 7.5x55 is .496"+/-, whereas the 30-06 is .471" +/-. 6.5x55 is stated as being .480" +/-, however I have as yet not found a commercially available case that meets that specification. Perhaps Lapua does, but Norma decidedly does not.

Aside from the "case head swelling to fit the chamber" issue, One may encounter issues with extraction.

Just my thoughts on the matter. As always, YMMV.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I've tried multiple searches for information on forming 7.5x55 cases to no avail.

Is my google-fu on the fritz?

Is it the wrong phase of the moon?

Or so simple that any low grade moron could figure it out before breakfast?

Or is it un-doable?
    https://youtu.be/6fP91Mc38qQ?si=-lUbhfAAp3hLrQ_N

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Or you could call Graf's and order it also.

Boolit Master

Serviceable 7.5 Swiss can be easily reformed from .284 Win by simply running the .284 cases through a 7.5 Swiss full-length die. Necks will be a smidge short...like forming 30-40 Krag from .303 Brit...but not enough to really matter. The downside of this is that the last time I looked around .284 brass is was harder to find (and considerably more expensive!) than the Privi 7.5 Swiss in stock at Grafs, Powder Valley, and Natchez.

Added thought: Rim dia. of the .284 is slightly smaller (.020 or thereabouts IIRC). This has not been an issue in my 1937-vintage K-31 but I do get an occasional failure to extract using that brass in my G96/11.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 04-16-2024 at 03:21 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I used 284 Win, as stated above it works well. Grafs was available and I had some but did it just because. Should have kept the 284 as it is now hard to find. I sold my last bag to my vet, glad to have it. It is available now at Grafs, can't make it any cheaper and Grafs is good brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Midway has PPU 7.5x55 brass in stock.

Boolit Bub
    It's easier and cheaper to find 7.5x55 brass than 284 in stock these days. Midway or Graff and Sons.

Boolit Buddy
    284 is it. But with 7.5 Prvi available it isn’t worth it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have done the .284 conversion and it's pretty good. Rim is close, but functions OK.

Thanks for the pointers on where to buy the brass, I don't really need the brass, this was more a "can it be done" question.

I was stopping at a gun shop this afternoon that had a nice 7.5x55 rifle on shelf when I was in there Saturday that had caught my eye.

Didn't buy the rifle but did buy a like new Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I know, virtually the same rifle.

And 139 pieces of new 7.5x55 Norma brass. And dies for the Creedmoor. I think I confused the guy behind the counter.

Certainly confused me, I don't own a 7.5x55.

But a buddy does, so it's all good.

Back to the original question, 284 Winchester seems to be the donor case of choice.

Don't remember the diameter of various and sundry belted magnums, is it possible to turn these down and still have enough meat left to make a serviceable case? I've done this in the past to make 350 Rigby Magnums.

This is more a can it be done question, than something I'm going to do in the next hour.

I've got 6.5 Creedmoor's to form from 22-250/.243 Winchester or whatever else comes out from under the bench.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Thanks for the pointers on where to buy the brass, I don't really need the brass, this was more a "can it be done" question.

I was stopping at a gun shop this afternoon that had a nice 7.5x55 rifle on shelf when I was in there Saturday that had caught my eye.

Didn't buy the rifle but did buy a like new Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I know, virtually the same rifle.

And 139 pieces of new 7.5x55 Norma brass. And dies for the Creedmoor. I think I confused the guy behind the counter.

Certainly confused me, I don't own a 7.5x55.

But a buddy does, so it's all good.

Back to the original question, 284 Winchester seems to be the donor case of choice.

Don't remember the diameter of various and sundry belted magnums, is it possible to turn these down and still have enough meat left to make a serviceable case? I've done this in the past to make 350 Rigby Magnums.

This is more a can it be done question, than something I'm going to do in the next hour.

I've got 6.5 Creedmoor's to form from 22-250/.243 Winchester or whatever else comes out from under the bench.
    6.5 - 284 brass is actually fairly obtainable. Would be roughly the same process.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer