RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: leupold discontinued eer scopes?

Boolit Mold

leupold discontinued eer scopes?

so, what options do we have left for pistol scopes? Just the burris model I am guessing? I ordered a 30-30 contender super 14" last week and was looking around the internet for a scope and just found out leupold no longer seems to be in the pistol scope business?!?! Maybe I will just have to keep my eyes out for used scopes or check ebay I guess. Do people just use red dots and scopes are a thing of the past? My eyes are getting old, I kind of need a scope!

Boolit Grand Master

The 30/30 Contender has relatively light recoil so there are a lot of options available to you. You can probably use a NCstar, Burris, Bushnell or search the used scopes on flea-bay.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Go with Burris.

Top quality,, and if by odd chance you have an issue,, they have a great warranty dept.

Boolit Mold
    I will check those out. Several online dealers show the scopes as out of stock. I am hoping there is just strong demand and it isn't that burris is getting out of the pistol scope game...

Boolit Buddy

Noticed this a few years ago. Pistol scopes manufacturers were disappearing. Had not heard about Leo. Been lucky picking up a couple, one at a gun show and the other on classifieds.. Started out looking for 1X scope for my muzzle loader. ND allows but only 1X or red dot- Really was disappointed when Nikon stopped making scopes. GW

Boolit Mold
    Anyone used the intermediate relief scout scopes on a contender pistol? That would give me a few more options. Burris 2.75 says 8-14" eye relief...

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    Noticed this a few years ago. Pistol scopes manufacturers were disappearing. Had not heard about Leo. Been lucky picking up a couple, one at a gun show and the other on classifieds.. Started out looking for 1X scope for my muzzle loader. ND allows but only 1X or red dot- Really was disappointed when Nikon stopped making scopes. GW
    Yeah, I knew leupy axed the 2x a while back when I went looking for one for a new revolver. I have a fxII 2x I bought new 18yrs ago and an old m8 2x I got at a gun show a couple years ago. Bought a new 2.5-8 leupy a few years back also so I am not completely out of luck but just unhappy that when I decide to get into the contender pistol game I learn scopes are hard to get... always something I guess. Probably a scout model will work fine for a 22lr or 223 barrel if the burris pistol scopes aren't back in stock when I need one.

Boolit Grand Master

The red dot is claiming their space. Can’t blame the manufacturers for dropping what has become a niche item. It’s all that damned profit motive.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MDKelley View Post
    Anyone used the intermediate relief scout scopes on a contender pistol? That would give me a few more options. Burris 2.75 says 8-14" eye relief...
    I've used the Burris 7X, IER scope on a 12" bbl Contender in .223, part #: 200250. No issue with eye relief. Looking around today it appears that only variable Burris scopes are available for pistols. Nothing wrong with that, just a little heavier.

45_Colt

Boolit Buddy
    Natchez sells a weaver 2x6x32 pistol scope. Crimson trace also has a pistol scope from several distributers. Have the weaver x3 and it would work on your 30-30 barrel. Good reviews on crimson. The burris scopes are nice ,have several. Never bought a Leopold as the price was way higher than others although the burris have now went up along with everything. I was disappointed too when Nikon and Bushnell stopped selling pistol scopes. Good luck on your scope hunt. I also have some of the vortex scout scopes that I use on my barrels and have no complaints so far.

Boolit Mold
    the burris ballistic plex looks interesting. I will keep my eye out for a dealer that has some in stock. Not finding any burris handgun scopes available anywhere except optic planet but I have heard they just backorder and drop ship from other dealers so they likely don't actually have any stock either. I may get a 3-12 and a 2-7 when I find some in stock just to have them on hand in case burris follows leupold's lead.

Banner Sponsor

I recently talked with the ceo of Mueller about the lack of pistol scopes. I thought we were down to just Leopold and Burris. Looks like we're down to Burris for the heavy Handguns.
    The guy from Mueller said he would atleast look into the possibility of adding a handgun scope...

Boolit Master

my BFR destroyed a burris. It wears a Leupold now.

its all too bad. The eye relief even on the EER scopes is poor when the mag is high. It's a really tough design to make, I guess. Definitely niche.

Boolit Mold
    agree on eye relief. I pulled the 2.5-8 off my charger and put it on the 30-30 last night. At 8x I can't hold it at arms length and get a full sight picture. Good thing is the 30-30 does not kick anywhere near as bad as I thought it would. I was just shooting some old remington 170gr yellow/green box stuff. The pistol has a 14" with factory porting and I put a pachmayr on when I mounted the scope. Looks like I will be getting a 10" 22lr barrel for it and a member on here offered up a 4x leupold so will have a fun plinking and squirrel/grouse pistol as well. Saving my pennies now for an mgm 223 barrel and the burris 3-12x whenever those come back in stock and my contender itch will be fully scratched for quite a while I think.

Boolit Master
    I have had excellent results with the many Burris scopes I have. Over the years I have had 3 Leupold(failed adjustment), 2 Weaver(loose lens), 4 Bushnell(adjustment failures), Tasco(broken crosshair, adjustment failures) and 1 Burris(adjustment failure). That is over 50 years of scope use. Modern scopes are much more reliable than scopes made in the 70's and 80's, even the 90's. I shoot much more now with no scope failures in scopes purchased in the last ten years, mostly Burris and Leupold. I consider Burris and Leupold equal though Burris scopes have usually been a little heavier. Leupold and Burris both have excellent customer service. I have one heavy '6.5-20 SNIPER/TACTICOOL scope on a 6.5 creedmoor but most of my scopes are 'hunting' scope 1.5-5, 3-9, 4.5-14 ranges. Trying to find scopes that weigh less than a pound is getting more and more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by tctender View Post
    Natchez sells a weaver 2x6x32 pistol scope. Crimson trace also has a pistol scope from several distributers. Have the weaver x3 and it would work on your 30-30 barrel. Good reviews on crimson. The burris scopes are nice ,have several. Never bought a Leopold as the price was way higher than others although the burris have now went up along with everything. I was disappointed too when Nikon and Bushnell stopped selling pistol scopes. Good luck on your scope hunt. I also have some of the vortex scout scopes that I use on my barrels and have no complaints so far.
    Is the Weaver that Natchez sells made in China? I know that Vrotex makes a pretty good Chinese scope for the money and I wish they would make a 2x pistol scope but unless they can sell then in volume, it probably is not gonna happen.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MDKelley View Post
    ...and my contender itch will be fully scratched for quite a while I think.
    Yeah, right. Tell another story. Scratched for "at least a little while" is probably more likely

Boolit Mold
    most likely