RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: sport king jamming

Boolit Master

sport king jamming

I have an older High Standard SportKing, semi-auto. I never had a problem with it until I tried using Winchester brand .22 "target and small game 36gr Long rifle ammo. Using that ammo I would get a minimum of 10% failure (i.e. 1 in 10) to eject, causing a jam.
    Using CCI standard velocity 40 grain target load I had no failures to eject.

Looking at the rim, under magnification, of each brand there is a slight difference, the CCI rim is slightly thicker which probably allow the extractors better grip.

anyone else every had any similar problems with different brands of ammo?
    best
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

In the last few years i have come to find Winchester .22 is garbage. Once upon a time i though Thunderbolts and Golden bullet was the excrement of the rimfire market...The last T22 Match I bought would not cycle a 10/22, 22/45 SR22 or Sig 322. Two bricks of that junk...Thank the Lord for a Henry.

The only Winchester .22 I have bought in the last few years that has been serviceable has been Super X 40g hypervelocity. ....if i owned an older High Standard...I would NOT feed it a steady diet of those and beat up a classy old pistol.
    Isaiah 45 - I AM the Lord and there is none else

Boolit Master
    I used to be an exclusive Super-X consumer but also found Winchester lacking in performance, so I shoot Federal .22LR Premium exclusively now. I have an older Ruger Mk II with the long tapered barrel and it's a tack driver with the Federal ammo.

Boolit Master

Just for a clarification...what I am shooting is a Rifle not a pistol....High Standard did make good rifles but they are most known for their pistols.

also, the CCI ammo that I mentioned is superbly accurate. It compares favorably with the higher priced "match" ammo.

Rifle or pistol, my opinion remains the same.
    Isaiah 45 - I AM the Lord and there is none else

Boolit Master
    You may have to experiment with a semi-auto for best functioning rimfire ammo, and testing for accuracy should also be a priority for any rifle or pistol, not just autos.

I bought some Armscor .22 LR during one of the shortages, and it "patterns" instead of groups with most of my guns, the exception being an old Springfield bolt action .22 that belonged to my dad when he was a kid, which doesn't seem to have an accuracy preference of one brand over another. Therefore, the Armscor stuff only goes into that rifle - I refuse to shoot it in anything else.

Boolit Master
    I have a Hi-Standard Sport King 22 auto rifle, a nice one, two Sears and one J C Higgins. I find them accurate and as reliable as any other 22 auto. I did have trouble with one extracting properly. I cleaned up the extractor and had to work on the tip, just shaped it up a bit. The biggest problem was the little extractor spring had collapsed and I had to replace them. A little oil on the plunger helps keep the trash flushed out. These rifle have some age on them and springs do wear out.

I have had these rifles for 35 years or longer. I bought the Sport King and then started find the Sears version at flea markets for almost nothing. I don't consider them four rifles as much as two rifles and a parts department although they all work.

The worst one had a funny problem, it would only fire uphill. I found that the firing pin had bradded at the back. When pointed down the pin would slid flush with the back of the bolt and the striker would not hit it. I heated it up and tapped it back to shape and hardened it a bit.

Like others have said the quality of some of the cheap 22's is not good. I have more trouble with rifles being ammo sensitive than ever. I read several years back that at one time ammo makers had to make good 22 ammo because people hunted small game out of necessity. Now most guys want blast, target shooter need to buy the premium stuff.

Boolit Master

beemer,,,,thanks for your post.
    I went through my Sports King, a High Standard model, and cleaned the extractors and oiled the springs at the extractors. The tips are good on mine so I didn't have to touch them. I did very slightly modify the firing pin by carefully filing off a very small amount of the projection the limits the firing pin travel forward. I am now getting better strikes on the cartridge. I might try to replace the springs on the extractors next, but I really think the problem of extraction, for me, was the brand of ammunition. I had some Remington 'short' ammunition it they fired and extracted without a problem.
    atr

Boolit Master
    Long ago, I competed in .22 indoor pistol matches wit a Hi Standard Tournament. I got about 1 failure to fire out of a box of 50 with Win, Rem, or other standard velocity ammo. I switched to CCI Blazers, which cured the problem. Just saying.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861