MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Isit worth Powder Coating apart from purely cosmetic reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I use my star to size after PC. So PC adds the time to coat and bake. Takes the same time to to size and lube or just size. It takes me 20 minutes to coat 800 bullets and another 30 minutes to bake. PC takes longer.
    I can shorten your time, dont bake for 30min, no real point, 15min in a preheated oven is plenty.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Since I enjoy all aspects of handloading and shooting, powder coating is just part of the process.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Almost impossible to get a mold that throws exactly the correct final size bullet because, as we all know, casting temp & alloy controls final size. Then of course coating adds size too.
    For a long time Lee molds were designed to drop a CWW alloy bullet ready to load. I did that exact thing with my .45's and .357. Cast, pan lube and load. Didn't own a lubesizer or size dies until I started loading for a rifle many years later.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    For a long time Lee molds were designed to drop a CWW alloy bullet ready to load. I did that exact thing with my .45's and .357. Cast, pan lube and load. Didn't own a lubesizer or size dies until I started loading for a rifle many years later.
    That just has never been really true. Final as cast size will vary with alloy & casting temp. Sure, use the exact alloy & exact temp, you might get the a bullet that drops the preferred size but not likely. I never saw where Lee molds were regulated with CWW. Most manf use Lyman #2 because its repeatable.
    Did you ever actually measure the final bullets? Yes you can certainly get by not sizing, but like everything else in life, it Worls until it doesn't. I size because I load in mixed brass & a fat bullet & thicker case is going to cause an issue. If they are all the same size & there is a problem, I know its the case. One reason I now segregate all my 9mm brass. Thickness is just all over the place & with longer 147gr bullets, I need certain headstamps to make reliable ammo.
    Last edited by fredj338; 04-23-2024 at 06:00 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Since I enjoy all aspects of handloading and shooting, powder coating is just part of the process.

Boolit Master
    Yep, we did measure them. .452 and .358 as cast.

I hate loading cast for my 9mm so I just buy plated bullets for it.

Boolit Master

You might check out Mihec's 125gr 9mm bullet, or the 147gr. They're NICE. I used to load plated or FMJ mostly with 9mm. But since I bought these molds it's pretty much what I stick with now.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...av-bevel-base/

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/9mm...aluminum-mold/
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    I can shorten your time, dont bake for 30min, no real point, 15min in a preheated oven is plenty.
    In my oven with PID control I had bullets get sticky in the Star sizing die even up to 20 minutes bake time with the oven preheated. I had to use a lanolin based lube for them to slide through. I increased my bake time to 30 minutes after the oven hits 375degF on the digital readout of the PID. No lube and the PC'd bullets slide right through. Smoke's powder. Thanks for the suggestion. I do what works for me.

Not saying it isnt true but unless you use identical alloy & temps, your bullets will vary in size. You would have to measure dozens each time you cast, not a couple each.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    In my oven with PID control I had bullets get sticky in the Star sizing die even up to 20 minutes bake time with the oven preheated. I had to use a lanolin based lube for them to slide through. I increased my bake time to 30 minutes after the oven hits 375degF on the digital readout of the PID. No lube and the PC'd bullets slide right through. Smoke's powder. Thanks for the suggestion. I do what works for me.
    I just dont see how baking them longer makes them easier to size unless you are water dropping out of the mold & baking longer softens the alloy.
    I water drop out of the PC oven. If I wait more than a couple days to size, they get harder to push thru the die, but never had to use any lube to size.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    You might check out Mihec's 125gr 9mm bullet, or the 147gr. They're NICE. I used to load plated or FMJ mostly with 9mm. But since I bought these molds it's pretty much what I stick with now.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...av-bevel-base/

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/9mm...aluminum-mold/
    I can also vouch for these designs and molds. The 147, especially, is the go to for me and a friend for the Action Pistol sports.

Boolit Master
    I just dont see how baking them longer makes them easier to size unless you are water dropping out of the mold & baking longer softens the alloy.
    I water drop out of the PC oven. If I wait more than a couple days to size, they get harder to push thru the die, but never had to use any lube to size.
    It's because the boolits a "slick" from the PC. You just have to feel it to understand. It's like they're slippery and slide through faster with less friction. Sounds weird, I know. But PC boolits do in fact size easier - at least perceive to size easier...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master
    I only air cool everything I cast or after baking. I size as soon as they're cool enough to handle after baking. I tried waiting 1 hour and at 2 hours. PC'ed bullets were still a bit sticky going through the die. Some folks were having the same problem and posted they increased bake time to 30 minutes. I thought why not cuz I'm tired of the lubing. First time after 30 minute cook time they sized without lubing after cool to the touch. Sized portion of the bullets look polished and slide through the die like butter. Tried sizing after waiting an hour and there was a little resistance but no slowing of the handle stroke on the star.

I bake @ 800 bullets at a time. After loading the convection oven I wait for it to recover to 375degF before I start the 30 minute bake time just like I used to at 15 and 20 minute bake times.

At one time I thought I might have to too much powder on the bullets. I shook them in the mesh baskets till there was a light coating and still had sticking at less then 30 minute bake time. Tried different relative humidity days. Same deal. Same results regardless of the ambient temps.

All I can say is "30 minutes is my bake time". Good time to rest up between the 1.5-2 hour casting session and the hour to size them.

Boolit Master
    Not saying it isnt true but unless you use identical alloy & temps, your bullets will vary in size. You would have to measure dozens each time you cast, not a couple each.

We measured a few hundred of them before we got tired of it. Then we just lubed and shot them. Worked great, even for my father-in-law who was a Navy bullseye shooter.

Boolit Master
    Baking them past the mfgs minimum makes for a fully cured coating that has a lower friction. The one time I tried shortcutting the baking process I got bullets that needed more force to size.

It is not that big a deal to use the powder the way the mfg intended.

It's because the boolits a "slick" from the PC. You just have to feel it to understand. It's like they're slippery and slide through faster with less friction. Sounds weird, I know. But PC boolits do in fact size easier - at least perceive to size easier...
    I PC, fully understand the process. I question how baking 30min makes them easier to size, unless they are air cooled & softening the alloy.

Baking them past the mfgs minimum makes for a fully cured coating that has a lower friction. The one time I tried shortcutting the baking process I got bullets that needed more force to size.

It is not that big a deal to use the powder the way the mfg intended.
    So its specific to a given powder, ok. I still think its changing the alloy. The baking time element isnt really an issue, you can be doing other things.
    Last edited by fredj338; 04-27-2024 at 08:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    So its specific yo a given powder, ok. I still think its changing the alloy. The baking time element isnt really an issue, you can be doing other things.
    I water drop out of the oven. So even heat treated they are butter smooth going through the sizer. I don't think it's an alloy thing, but a PC thing. Everything sizes smoother PC'd (at least if it's fully cured - I've always been of the opinion you can't over cure PC, as I used to do it professionally).

Boolit Master
    So its specific yo a given powder, ok. I still think its changing the alloy. The baking time element isnt really an issue, you can be doing other things.
    You can't change the alloy. You can change the hardness of the alloy if you heat treat. You can increase the hardness of most alloys if you water cool from the oven. I air cool so there is no change in hardness from casting to final PC bullet. Basically, if you air cool after casting and PC then you have a fully annealed bullet that will have hardness based on the specific alloy. I use Lyman #2 so that means 16-18bhn.

FWIW, to fully heat treat most lead alloys it takes about 40min at the hardening temperature. If you water drop from a PC oven after 20 min the bullets will not be 'fully' hardened.

I water drop out of the oven. So even heat treated they are butter smooth going through the sizer. I don't think it's an alloy thing, but a PC thing. Everything sizes smoother PC'd (at least if it's fully cured - I've always been of the opinion you can't over cure PC, as I used to do it professionally).
    You are not reading the post i replied to. Yes pc doesnt need lube to size. The question is baking time& sizing.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast