Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Shorts

Boolit Master

.22 Shorts

What's the draw back to using 22 shorts vs 22 long rifle in a Ruger Single-six, my new model is marked 22 caliber and not 22LR. it came with a second cylinder marked 22 mag. but the Ranger officer says it's 22 LR only with the first cylinder I've always thought shorts could be used in a firearm that was marked 22LR,kinda the same ideal as 38's in a 357. Am I wrong/missing something?????
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Accuracy may suffer, but it is ok to shoot shorts or longs in the lr cylinder. The older pump and bolt action rifles used to have all 3 lengths engraved on the barrel.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I’d shoot shorts in it indefinitely. I guess some people are worried about the extra cleaning causing difficulties chambering 22 LR if it isn’t cleaned.

Thanks for the reminder. I’m running low on shorts. Need to be on the lookout.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    22 Short will not hurt anything, just be certain to keep the chamber clean. I have a couple of old Remingtons that had seen a LOT of shorts run through them... Took a bit to get the chambers cleaned up so as they would accept 22LR. Berriman's carb cleaner is your friend! Kind'a like cleaning the lug area on your M-16 after a long day at the Range!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    I still have my original .22 semiauto I got in 1977. It used all three, I could even mix them up. I fired a lot of .22 short because at the time it was cheaper. Now its sort of a novelty ammo and costs more than .22lr. The fact it is a heel based bullet probably keeps it from becoming a problem. I fired brick after brick of .22 short with no issues.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

aside from fouling build up in LR chamber, barrels chambered exclusively for shorts have a different twist rate than the LR barrels , accuracy + sight settings will be different - shorts were popular with casual shooters when they sold for less than $.01 per round -now they are only popular for shooters requiring special needs -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Super Moderator

I shoot a lot of 22 Shorts in my Old Model Single Six with zero problems. I have some CCI Target 22 Shorts that are quite accurate in it. It's 29 grains listed at 830 fps, though I doubt if it's going that fast out of a revolver. If I get some crud build up in the cylinder I will use a nylon brush with a little dab of JB Bore. It cleans it right up with very little effort. I like em'!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My old Single Six was really accurate with shorts. Need to try 'em in my Super Wrangler.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

published industry twist optimal twist rates are
    -
    .22 short =1 in 24"
    .22 long = 1 in 20"
    .22 long rifle = 1 in 16"
    special rifling for low velocity 60 grain heavy projectiles 1 in 9"

variation in accuracy protentional is less in pistols, but much more in any rifle length barrels - every high end .22 short match pistols are 1 in 24" that i am aware of - Walther, Hammerli, Unique, + etc.
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 04-17-2024 at 07:29 AM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

.22 Short HP is my favorite Bullfrog and squirrel round in revolvers and bolt action rifles. I brush out the chambers occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they still make 22 longs, I use them as a kid for suirrel hunting. They were cheaper then Long Rifle's

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Do they still make 22 longs, I use them as a kid for suirrel hunting. They were cheaper then Long Rifle's
    Yes, but they cost more now. Shorts and Longs are "specialty ammo" and cost more than LR as a result.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Buddy
    Shorts are great in rifles since the longer barrel makes them much quieter than a standard .22 LR. You can even go to CB caps and with a long barrel .22 is extremely quiet and often the whack you hear when you hit the target is louder.

Pistols with shorts (especially revolvers) then not so much.....They are still loud and everyone knows you are shooting. And at 2x the cost I am not sure if it is worth the bother.

I suspect some of the younger crowd have no idea what a “short” is. I’ve had a lot of fun with them in the past. Maybe they are saving money by not engraving that on the cylinder?
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Chipmunk single shot rifle for my daughter in about 2006 or 2007. We shot a lot of Shorts in it because of how quiet they were. Even at that time they were costing me $35 a brick compared to Long Rifles selling at well under $20. Sure make it fun to shoot a rimfire though when they sound more like a pellet gun. Especially for a small kid.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I need to get out and try my new super wrangler when I see this post! Like other posters said eventually you’ll get build up from shooting shorts so you definitely need to clean the chamber after so many rounds. I use the CB shorts for dispatching beaver last year quietly. They worked really good but the accuracy falls off after 25 yards severely. I think they were about an inch and a half in most of my rifles at 25 yards….nothing impressive versus other ammo that’ll shoot all in the same hole at 50 yards.

Boolit Master

Well the shorts shot fine maybe a tad high at 25 or that could have been me with a new to me single-six, I didn't find a need to clean any chamber while shooting. these little CCI shorts are hard to handle in the hand slick little 29grain bullet, my big old hands and big fingers make it hard to find these in the grass,that could use a mowing to start with I'm going to keep using these shorts I have a couple more bricks to use up.
    thanks for the info
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 04-16-2024 at 10:14 AM. Reason: small keybroad large fingers
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Mold
    I don't think i've fired any 22 shorts since the 60's.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Shorts are great in rifles since the longer barrel makes them much quieter than a standard .22 LR. You can even go to CB caps and with a long barrel .22 is extremely quiet and often the whack you hear when you hit the target is louder.

Pistols with shorts (especially revolvers) then not so much.....They are still loud and everyone knows you are shooting. And at 2x the cost I am not sure if it is worth the bother.
    I did the same but now I just buy CCI Quiets 40gr 710FPS...Set your 22 to stealth mode with CCI® Quiet-22™. It is ideal for bolt-action and single-shot 22 LR rifles, and generates 75 percent less perceived noise than standard velocity 22 LR rounds. It is perfect for areas where noise may be a problem and is ideal for introducing youth to the shooting sports.

75 percent reduction in the perceived noise of standard velocity 22 Long Rifle loads
    Excellent accuracy
    Low velocity

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post

yes they are quieter, but be very careful with some foreign produced CB's + both colibri rounds, had several cases of them getting stuck + no exiting rifle barrels at my range -

as they say in latin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast