Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resizing Bottle Neck Cases

Boolit Mold

Resizing Bottle Neck Cases

Recently, I purchased a bunch of 308 WIN once-fired brass for reloading. I ran the brass through my Rock Chucker Supreme with #3 shell holder and Lee Pacesetter full length die set. I adjusted the die according to Lee's instruction, and I cannot get the brass to fit my Hornady Go/No Go Gauge (#380716). See image attached.

Short of using a small base sizing die, is there any reason this brass should not drop into the gauge for headspace testing? Bear in mind, factory rounds do fall into the gauge as expected.

Thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	308 Sized Brass in Hornady Gauge.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	325721
    Last edited by RoccoVjr66; 04-15-2024 at 09:31 AM.

Boolit Master

See if the brass chambers in your rifle. That's all that matters.
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    If that is a case length gauge, it tells me the case is to long.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

Boolit Buddy
    How did you set up the die? Did you just try and neck size it? For full length sizing of unknown brass screw the die in till it touches the shellholder then another 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn to take up the slack. When the ram is raised without a case you should feel a slight "bump" at the end when the shell holder hits the die. My guess is when you size a case with the current die setup the shellholder is not touching the die.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    See if the brass chambers in your rifle. That's all that matters.
    Rick
    The Way I was Taught.. I never used the Gauges I have.... Never
    Look at it this way...there is what is Called Tolerances built into Ammo and Chambers...so using a Minimum Gauge, if you happen to have a Maximum Chamber...You have Introduced a Headspace Mismatch... Why???
    Every one should need to load for a Wildcat, before starting any Factory Bottleneck CTG Reloading. My Opinion!!!

Boolit Mold
    Rick,

I ran a couple pieces of empty brass into my Ruger American Gen II, and I wish the bolt closure was a little smoother, so that I could feel any interference issues. That being said, The brass cycled through the rifle and extracted without issue.

Boolit Mold
    This is a Go/No-Go gauge. When looking into the neck end of the gauge, with freshly sized brass in it, there is still room between the mouth of the brass and the gauge internal shoulder. I tried making sure there were no burrs on the mouth O.D., just in case that was causing the resistance I was feeling. Still will not drop in the gauge all the way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RoccoVjr66 View Post
    Rick,

I ran a couple pieces of empty brass into my Ruger American Gen II, and I wish the bolt closure was a little smoother, so that I could feel any interference issues. That being said, The brass cycled through the rifle and extracted without issue.
    Not Broken...so, You Cant Fix It

Boolit Mold
    Ran the ram up all the way, ran the die down to touch, then adjusted my die down another 1/4 turn. I tried going further, although I was experiencing what I thought was sufficient cam-over at the end of the stroke, but the brass will still not fit the gauge. I have experimented with anywhere from just touching to a 1/2 turn down on the die - No good either way. I am starting to believe the mindset of, if it chambers (and headspace and OAL are okay), then I should be good to go. I do have an RCBS Precision Mic coming for headspace and chamber measurement. Not sure when I will be receiving that, but I am anxious to try it out.

Boolit Master
    Ran the ram up all the way, ran the die down to touch, then adjusted my die down another 1/4 turn. I tried going further, although I was experiencing what I thought was sufficient cam-over at the end of the stroke, but the brass will still not fit the gauge. I have experimented with anywhere from just touching to a 1/2 turn down on the die - No good either way. I am starting to believe the mindset of, if it chambers (and headspace and OAL are okay), then I should be good to go. I do have an RCBS Precision Mic coming for headspace and chamber measurement. Not sure when I will be receiving that, but I am anxious to try it out.
    If you use a bolt gun, and Partial resize to chamber...you are good with headspace...with Your ammo, In Your Gun...
    I have Not fallen for the "buy a Heavy Press, and then Twist the die down Beyond Touching shellholder" Crowd...Why???

Boolit Grand Master

That much sticking out (rim is roughly .050 on 308) is more than likely a difference in the body tapers. Even machine gun brass would have that much excess head space. a few thousandths on the body will though. I did use a small based die at times and it did take the body taper and base down more. Its seldom needed on factory chambers unless some semi auto or single shots, custom cut chambers are different. Machine gun brass is a different animal also as the chambers are larger. Once sized to fit and fire formed size just enough to bump the shoulder back .001-.002 this will give you longer brass life and a good easy fit.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Country Gent,
    I am starting to wonder whether or not the Go/No-go gauge is of any use for reloading. When I check the case dimensions with my micrometer, the sizing die is forming the brass to smaller than SAAMI chamber dimensions, which is what I would expect. I hope to further my clarity with time, using the RCBS Precision Mic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAAMI 308.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	325725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCBS Precision Mic.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	325726

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    If you use a bolt gun, and Partial resize to chamber...you are good with headspace...with Your ammo, In Your Gun...
    I have Not fallen for the "buy a Heavy Press, and then Twist the die down Beyond Touching shellholder" Crowd...Why???
    I did not mean you need a heavy press or use a lot of force when the shellholder touches. Most presses have a little give in them so if you just screw the die in to barely touch the shell holder when you set it up the shell holder will be 1/8 inch away from the die when actually sizing a case. You can clearly see this by looking when the ram is fully up.

When setting up for full length resizing I screw the die to touch then a little more to when you work the press without a case you feel a slight "bump" at the end when the shellholder is under a little tension. This is not a lot of force and you shouldn't be pushing hard but you will feel slight resistance at the end.

It only takes 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn (Thinking about it I was wrong when I said 1/2).

Boolit Mold
    Delkal,
    It does get a little confusing with the information available on the web. "The Real Gunsmith" does mention that most people are sizing their brass all wrong. I do understand his message, however that conflicts with the manufacturer's recommended setup procedure. Nonetheless, I am learning as I go, and I appreciate all the feedback.

Boolit Grand Master

You did not specify use. Punching tin cans, casual plinking, hunting and competition all require very different levels of precision. To answer for one use is to leave the others unanswered.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Something to give some perspective. Dies, shell holders are manufactured to upper end tolerances, gauges and chambers to min specs. I have had tight chambers cut that had to have .010 faced of the bottom to size all the way. What you might try is a different shell holder. What may be causing this is the radius at the die mouth and shell holder combination not getting all the way down.

Boolit Buddy
    Delkal,
    It does get a little confusing with the information available on the web. "The Real Gunsmith" does mention that most people are sizing their brass all wrong. I do understand his message, however that conflicts with the manufacturer's recommended setup procedure. Nonetheless, I am learning as I go, and I appreciate all the feedback.
    It can be confusing and my advice to make sure the shellholder fully touches the die is mostly for the first time you use brass that was fired in other rifles. Or if you are loading for multiple rifles. If you are just loading for one rifle after the first sizing and the initial fireform you just necksize or barely bump the shoulder back to fit your chamber so you don't overwork the brass or cause artificial headspace issues.

When I just want to bump the shoulder I take a dry erase marker and blacken the neck and shoulder. Then size a case and see where the black is removed and the line stops. Keep lowering the die till you see the line at the base of the neck for neck sizing or a little more to where you see a little (not all) of the shoulder hit. Most of the time you can see a little daylight between the shellholder and the die when partially sizing but this is not always the case. I have some die combinations where you have to fully hit the die to even touch the shoulder.

If the cases fit your rifle, why would you want to size them smaller?

All other things being OK:
    If the case gauge is at the smaller end of the tolerances for them, and the die is at the larger end-
    That cause cause the issue, but the case would still fit the chamber.

On the other hand---
    I remember back in the old days, I'd gotten 1,000 GI once fired 7.62 NATO.
    The brass had images in their tarnish from links.
    No big deal, but they usually come fired formed to a M-60's rather 'generous' chamber.
    I got a new Lee die set, and with little kids, working full time, etc. time was a little short for my hobbies.
    I just set up & sized 'em all 'like I always did'.
    Then putting the first one together and dropping it in a M1A.... the bolt wouldn't close.
    Not on a loaded round,,,, or even a sized but empty brass.

After more sad singing and slow walking than a New Orleans Jazz funeral,
    I figured out the sizing die was too big, or other wise out of specs.

And yes, that was the last Lee die I ever bought.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Delkal,
    Never thought I would be defending "The Real Gunsmith" but he is correct most are not setting up their dies for optimal performance. The manufactures recommendations are based on producing ammo within SAAMI standards. The die manufactures recommendations are designed for the least knowledgeable reload. Nothing more.

The RCBS case mic is a wonderful tool for properly seat shoulder bump. It is also direct reading. That means it reads actual measures and not a comparator. When it reads ZERO on the setting that is the SAAMI minimum for that cartridge.

On the cases that do not go fully into your go gauge blacken them with a magic marker and twist the case into the gauge to see where the contact is. Once you know that you can determine what the issue is.

Having the expander button set too high, lack of lube or a rough expander button can pull the shoulder out when sizing.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-15-2024 at 04:59 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast