Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resizing Bottle Neck Cases

Never mind the shells function ok in your rifle, throw out that damned Lee stuff and buy new dies.

Boolit Mold
    Wayne,
    Although I know hunting and competition probably command a higher investment in components and equipment, I would like to set that as my goal. First and foremost is safety. I want to make sure what I reload is safe and dependable.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoVjr66 View Post
    Wayne,
    Although I know hunting and competition probably command a higher investment in components and equipment, I would like to set that as my goal. First and foremost is safety. I want to make sure what I reload is safe and dependable.
    Knowledge equals safety when it comes to reloading. You already have a RCBS case mic you have the ability to better than some place withing SAAMI standards at zero cost and minimal effort. The ultimate go/no go gauge is the chamber it's intended to go into.

Personally I find the Hornady Go/No Go Gauge (#380716) type gauges of limited value compared to better options like the RCBS case mic or the Hornady Case Comparator.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    I like the dry erase marker idea. All my rounds will be fire-formed, since the rifle is new. I will make note of the ram/die relationship, next time I run some brass through the sizer. I do have a neck sizer die, so I will use that when I fire my reloaded rounds through the rifle, so that I don't overwork the brass. Thanks for the tips!

Boolit Mold
    Winger Ed,
    I received a couple replies regarding the Lee die set. Did you settle on a brand that works well for you?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    The Way I was Taught.. I never used the Gauges I have.... Never
    Look at it this way...there is what is Called Tolerances built into Ammo and Chambers...so using a Minimum Gauge, if you happen to have a Maximum Chamber...You have Introduced a Headspace Mismatch... Why???
    Every one should need to load for a Wildcat, before starting any Factory Bottleneck CTG Reloading. My Opinion!!!
    Well said, I totally agree

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Never mind the shells function ok in your rifle, throw out that damned Lee stuff and buy new dies.
    Yea,,,Great plan....NOT, Nothing wrong with my Lee Dies...except they din't Cost enough...Maybe?
    Invest in a Neck Die...or...for 30 caliber...I use my Lee 32ACP die!!!! Darn I might be a RedNeck!!!

Boolit Master
    I suggest borrowing another size die and see if there's any difference.

Grind off 50 thous of the bottom of the die (not shell holder - they are HARD). Screw down the die extra 1/2 turn and size a case. If the bolt closes with little resistance, that's good for YOUR chamber. Else another 1/2 turn and repeat. I use Lee and RCBS die that need the grinding. Annealing Mil brass first is a good idea. Also look for rim dings that prevent fitting in the case gauge. My Lee press doesn't 'cam' over so trying just stresses the press. Use plenty of good case lube! Another hint. Drop the ram about half, rotate the brass 90 deg. and size again, Mil brass is tough and has some spring back.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    ^^^^ Lots of good advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12