RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Brand new 16 gauge

Boolit Grand Master

Brand new 16 gauge

I was in Walmart today and saw something I never though I would see again, a brand new 16 gauge shotgun.

It was a fairly good looking double, with what looked to be 28" barrels. No idea if it had one or two triggers, it had a trigger lock on it in the display case. It did have choke tubes, which I'm not all that fond of.

Guessing it was made in Turkey, the price was $917.

No I didn't fondle it, I don't bird hunt anymore and have no real reason to buy a new shotgun.

Robert

I think that is pretty cool that they are giving the 16 ga. a chance unless somehow it was mistakenly ordered and maybe they will not have them in stock.
    I like 16 ga. but don’t think it will sell in enough numbers to see them NEW for sale for long.
    Over the years I have owned at least a dozen shotguns in 16 ga. and still own one in a single shot an old Iver Johnson Champion.
    Jedman

Ahhh...the sweet sixteen! I've got a couple, and somehow the 16 Ga. always seemed just right. I've got 12s, but love my 16s. I've got a very old Stevens sxs 16 that probably dates to the 1920s. I couldn't hit anything with it as a teenager, but later with a bit of education learned that it was a 2 1/2" chamber, not so marked on the gun as I guess that was standard when it was made. I eventually acquired the tooling and reamed the chambers to 2 3/4"+ and re-did the tapered cone area in front of the chamber and it shoots wonderfully. Also have two Win. Mod. 37 single shots that are great guns. Solid Winchester quality, even though when made they were inexpensive compared to some. Finding factory loaded shells can be challenging, but they can sometimes be found at Midway. I load my own when I've got the time on a Lee Load All II.

DG

Boolit Master
    After I got brutalized by a 12GA 1 1/4 oz load in a light double when I was 12 years old, I bought a 16ga Stevens 58 bolt action from my Uncle Herv for $35,making paymentsof $4 a week, my newspaper route income then a year later, I bought a 16ga Stevens double with the Tenite stock for my father to use. Still have the Stevens double and a 16ga Sears bolt-action with the tube magazine that holds six. Mostly I shoot crows with the Sears when they stop in my trees to harass my great-horned owls and the Cooper's Hawk that nest there. That bolt action Sears is LONG with its 28" barrel. I have looked at few new 16ga doubles, but the 12's and 20's have shells so much cheaper that it makes it hard to go farther, kinda like the .410.

Boolit Master
    I've been a fan of the 16ga for a long time. I even have on next to the bed for "bump in the night" type stuff. It's a Mossberg 500 in 16ga with a 19" barrel and a pistol grip, holds 5+1. I typically load it with #4 Buckshot. But I also keep a few slugs next to the night stand just in case you need to penetrate something.

For hunting, I have an older H&R SB1 in 16ga that I absolutely love taking to the field. One of the finest squirrel shotguns ever made. Works well enough for rabbit as well, though I don't hunt those much any more.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

I have always been a fan of the 16 gauge. I have my Dad's old Browning and my Father-in-Laws single barrel. I had one of the early Remington Model 1100's in 16 gauge but was stupid enough to allow a fellow worker to talk me out of it for a $50.00 profit after I had used it a year or two. Mistake big time. James

A big 16 ga fan here also. But that seems pretty high for a Turkish made “economy” double.

Boolit Buddy
    I inherited a 16ga Parker bird gun from my favorite great uncle who had purchased it new. Because of that I have concentrated on 16ga for anything else for the last 20 years or so (except for a 410 single truck gun for snakes.)
    Have a 16ga Revelation pump (Mossberg 500B) and a scoped Savage 94 16ga barrel adapted to my Stevens 22/410.
    I reload so no problem with ammo.

Boolit Bub
    I love a 16. I think I'm up to 5 and I've been drooling over an A5 sweet sixteen. It would suit me to use a 16 for everything I didn't need a max payload for.

Neat, I own 4 shotguns 3 of them are 16ga. Still want a 20 slug gun but no want for a 12.

Boolit Grand Master
    I made the original post because I too like the sixteen gauge and I never thought I would see another one.

If Remington and Browning couldn't bring the sixteen back to marketability twenty plus years ago, I highly doubt that a Turkish made gun will do it today. Especially given the cost of shotshells.

I do think a properly sized sixteen gauge is a delight for upland game. Enough bigger than a 20 to make a difference, but enough lighter than a 12. A sixteen gauge built on a 12 gauge frame is just wrong.

Magic may be involved.

Robert

Boolit Master

I know people think of the 16 gauge as a bird gun but I for one can tell you that the 16 Browning in my Dad's hands was a duck whacker. He could really handle that thing on anything he went after. I have seen him make some incredible shots on game with it. He had a poly choke on it also. james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 04-15-2024 at 10:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    If a 16-gauge double is scaled down from a 12-gauge gun so that it is smaller and lighter, it would be a good thing. I have one of the CZ Ringnecks (out of production now) in 12 gauge and while I like it, a smaller trimmer version in 16-gauge might be even better. But availability of ammo is always going to be a big negative for 16-gauge. Could be somewhat overcome by loading your own, at least for availability if not a cost savings. The price sounds about right for a Turkish double to me. I bought my CZ, which is Turkish, about 2008 using my FFL from an actual wholesaler (Not Gunbroker in other words) and I paid something over $850. It is a shame the 16-gauge faded out. I'm surprised CZ doesn't offer at least one but they don't as far as I can see.

Boolit Master
    Mk42,

Thanks for the trip down memory lane back to the 16 gauge. My first shotgun was a 16 gauge Winchester M37 single barrel in 1958, when I was age 13 during my first hunting season. In southeast PA, we had many pheasants and other small game. Later I acquired a Remington 870 16 and a Browning Sweet 16, which still reside in my safe.

I loved carrying a 16 afield on my farm for grouse since I bought the land in 1988. Lately, we have very few grouse due to the federal protection of avian predators. The grouse of northcentral PA hardwoods are now only a memory. Ammo shortage of 16 gauge shells is not a concern with so few grouse. I have about 6 boxes of assorted 16 gauge shells that will probably never be used for grouse. At my age, it is probably the end of an era.

Be well.

Adam

A buddy tells a story of his dad bringing home a brand new Model 12 in 16 gauge for Mom's birthday present.

When Chris got home his dad told him he needed to retrieve the birthday present from the back yard and clean it for his mother.

It was making a great imitation of a tomato stake.

Chris still has that shot gun, he took a lot of ducks with it.

I've never seen it, he says there's no finish left on the gun and he has no intention of refinishing it. It'll go to his son when he's done with it.

And the story.

Boolit Grand Master

Way back in the early 70's I bought a used Winchester model 12 in 16 gauge and that started a love affair that exists through today. I've used it with slugs to hunt every type of mammal and game bird available in the State of Hawaii. At last count I have thirteen of them with the slight majority being SXS's.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    A 16 on a properly scaled action is a treat. My favorite shot gun bore. My dad harvested 21 deer with his 16 and slugs.
    Look twice, shoot once.