WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking ovens/ranges.

Boolit Master

A good use for that old electric oven is powder-coating bullets! Don't use it again for food thou.

Boolit Master

We didn’t choose electric, around here there is no natural gas available East of US-1.
    Some of our prior homes had gas. It took some time to get used to all electric. A gas stove top heats up faster and takes more effort to clean than an electric glass top range, but most cast iron isn’t recommended for glass top ranges.
    As for ovens, electric is a more even heat. Ours is a slide in electric range & ovens, a small oven below the cook top and a large oven below the small one.
    We might use the large oven once a year.
    We don’t need a furnace but there’s no doubt in my mind natural gas is better for home heating. For water heaters my money is on electric. With minimal care they last twice as long as Nat gas.
    I have a gas grill I use at least 3 days a week.

Moderator Emeritus

Plumber gets about $50 a foot to run a new line.
    Check out your State laws before you start, the liberals are trying to ban gas appliances...

from 2023
    "Minnesota progressives now seek to ban natural gas (including your stove) in residential and commercial buildings"
    https://www.americanexperiment.org/m...ial-buildings/

from 2024
    "Minnesota GOP bill would prevent municipalities from banning gas stoves, heating"
    There don't appear to be any local bans in the works, but the idea to prevent regulations has drawn support from home industry and was heard by a DFL-led committee on Wednesday.
    https://www.startribune.com/minnesot...lth/600350845/

Obviously the Democrats run MN, so this GOP bill has no chance. Once the MN Dem's get their Ducks in a row, Gas will be banned.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    ive had LP gas for at least 30 years. started out with cloths dryer and had gas place put in big tank and line running into garage for dryer. it was good for about 5 years then called to get fill up and price was way out of line crazy high. I told them to come get the tank and ran dryer off 20, and 40 lb cylinders for next 10 years at least.
    if you do your own plumbing repairs putting in a gas line is not much different.
    places with the most strict codes I believe you will find require iron or galvanized pipe from gas source to the appliance with copper or stainless at each end to make actual connections to tank and appliance. some places using CSST, corrugated stainless steel tube, is acceptable. and with the latest brass ends for the corrugated stainless line its so easy possibly a trained monkey can put them together.
    where I live now I put in my own gas lines for dryer and water heater fueled with 100lb tanks. I use the same regulators that are used in RV's at the tank connected to flexible stainless lines through the house to appliance with a ball valve designed for gas that goes into a 1/2" pipe trap to catch any crud. some of the connections where threads transition like balll valve which is 45 degree flare to the trap in pipe thread was done with brass fittings. the trap is nothing but a T with a 3-4" going straight down with a cap on the end.
    plan your connections out and gather the pieces and parts you will need and just put them together. It's not difficult. it can be made more difficult if you want to get into flaring copper tube and threading your own pipes but with the stuff that is available these days its much easier.
    use Gasolia on all threaded connections and test all connections with very soapy water in a spray bottle to check for any leaks

Boolit Master
    my neighbor got a gas stove just a couple years ago delivered free from amazon that requires no electricity for less than $500

Boolit Grand Master

While both electric - induction and traditional electric stoves are much different animals when it comes to control and speed of cooking. It appears some are lumping them together.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-15-2024 at 03:21 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

We converted to all electric save the furnace in order to save on propane. We ran out of propane in the DEAD of winter a few years ago and decided enough was enough.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Gas all the way. I have to use propane, as house was all electric. No natural gas for about a mile in either direction. Same thing we had in MS.
    But my wife hates electric stove tops and I added a propane line and replaced top with gas top. I didn't replace oven, if it dies, I will, easy branch off and 3 feet of hose.
    And with gas, you can cook if the electricity goes out. That is worth it right there

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    People buy and sell old gas stoves, some old ones are jewels and fetch top dollars.
    Do not buy a matchlight oven.

Be sure to use a real UL listed range connector, get a long one, seven foot for a long loop behind the stove.
    Then you can pull the stove out and wash under it.
    Some stoves are stuck and haven't moved in 40 years. Been there done that.

Boolit Master
    Timely post, in the process of replacing my electric range. Gas is not an option so sticking with electric. One thing I noticed that if you think of the standard four burner with one large burner in front on one side and the other large burner in back on the other side. All the new stoves I've looked at have both large burners in front. So if you have two large pots going and need a small burner you have to reach over or around the pots in front. Five burner has the same arrangement with the three small burners in the back. Seems like it would be very easy to burn yourself reaching past the front burners. Staying with a solid top for easy clean up and regular burners. Son has the induction cook top and they love it but guess I'm just old fashioned. If you go induction remember that the cookware has to be rated for induction or it won't work

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Plumber gets about $50 a foot to run a new line.
    Check out your State laws before you start, the liberals are trying to ban gas appliances...

from 2023
    "Minnesota progressives now seek to ban natural gas (including your stove) in residential and commercial buildings"
    https://www.americanexperiment.org/m...ial-buildings/

from 2024
    "Minnesota GOP bill would prevent municipalities from banning gas stoves, heating"
    There don't appear to be any local bans in the works, but the idea to prevent regulations has drawn support from home industry and was heard by a DFL-led committee on Wednesday.
    https://www.startribune.com/minnesot...lth/600350845/

Obviously the Democrats run MN, so this GOP bill has no chance. Once the MN Dem's get their Ducks in a row, Gas will be banned.
    Harbor Freight sells a pipe threading kit for about $80 if I remember right.
    Any caveman can run black pipe, it ain't rocket science. Slather on a liberal (I hate that word) amount of pipe goop rated for gas and make the joints tight, then test with soapy water.
    If this is beyond your ability, you probably should not be reloading shells either.
    I have two furnaces in my house, and I did not like the job the furnace guys did, so I redid it.
    I also installed gas logs for my fireplace and removed the electric cook top and replaced with gas, all with black pipe, none of that flexy stuff.

Boolit Master
    If you go induction remember that the cookware has to be rated for induction or it won't work
    If a magnet sticks to it, it'll work. Cast iron works. Aluminum doesn't.
    As M-Tecs said above, the only thing an induction stove and a regular electric stove have in common is the energy source - electricity. There is no comparison as far as heating speed, safety, precision. If you're heating a pot of water (for example) the boiling time is incredibly fast, and when you remove the pot from the burner, you can put your hand on the burner.

Been living on propane 45 yrs now, I love it. Our entire farm is self sufficient when the power goes off which is several times in the winter, sometimes for several days. The wife prefers gas cooking over electric that was here when we bought the place but we changed when building our log house.

Boolit Master
    I repaired my first dual fuel slide in range today. Complaint was that the oven wasn't cooking the food completely. A Kitchenaid model KSDG950ESS1.It's in the island so it's downdraft exhaust. Not much space under the oven door for access to the fan and gas line. My first hidden bake element. Fortunately it's under the bottom pan of the oven cabinet accessible from inside. Shined the flashlight inside and saw the splash from the element when it burned in two from under the pan. Common Whirlpool/Kitchenaid element. $60 at the parts house. Got it together and ran a test @325degF with a digital thermometer beside the sensor probe at the top rear of the oven near the broil element and another 6" from the door dangling from the middle rack. About 12 minutes to get to temp @325 on convection bake. My thermometer at the sensor read 328 and the one at the door read 333. They didn't budge for the next 20 minutes. I've never seen an oven do that before no matter the price. The gas cook top looked not quite pristine yet the oven looked like it had been in a commercial kitchen. Natural gas for the cook top and and 40 amp circuit for all the rest.

Boolit Master

Plumbed my new house for propane, furnace and fireplace operating already. Water heater hooked up but not turned on yet. Cooktop and freestanding stove fireplace not hooked up yet. 8-9 months after turning on fireplace and opening up the tank we would occasionally smell an odd odor in the kitchen, but did not smell like gas. Soap bubbles did not show any leak. Gas detector similar to https://www.amazon.com/Detector-PT19...52&sr=8-6&th=1 indicated a leak where the cooktop will be going. Took out the plug and re-gooped it. Detector then indicated no leak. Then used the detector at every connection in and under the house. Cheap insurance to recheck at intervals.

Need at least one convection oven in the house, will cook chocolate chip cookies to perfection in about 15 minutes from turning it on. Much quicker than any oven that has to pre-heat.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post

Need at least one convection oven in the house, will cook chocolate chip cookies to perfection in about 15 minutes from turning it on. Much quicker than any oven that has to pre-heat.
    Convection ovens still normally need to be pre-heated. They are just standard ovens with a fan. That being said if it works for you no reason to change.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-a-co...kitchen-216549
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Any caveman can run black pipe, it ain't rocket science. Slather on a liberal (I hate that word) amount of pipe goop rated for gas and make the joints tight, then test with soapy water.
    If this is beyond your ability, you probably should not be reloading shells either.
    I have two furnaces in my house, and I did not like the job the furnace guys did, so I redid it.
    I also installed gas logs for my fireplace and removed the electric cook top and replaced with gas, all with black pipe, none of that flexy stuff.
    Well, I stopped doing gas when I had kids. I did it before, still do it in my outbuildings. My house? Nope. I watched one of my best friends bury his family because of a gas leak. I will sell cans or plasma or my clothes to pay someone that does this for a living each and every day.
    I reload for myself and my family so I don't get your comment. It's like saying a pilot shouldn't be flying if he can't bake a cake.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post

Regarding the trades:
    It's tough to know all the tricks and codes of all the trades. While I have swapped out a gas cook stove here and there, I've never run black pipe. During the street construction and Utility upgrades in my neighborhood in 2017, the Gas company ran a new supply line and installed a new meter to my 100 yr old house. The New meter leaked a tiny tiny bit. I called the gas company. They came out and fixed it. Guess what, it still leaked. I called 'em again, they sent out the same kid that installed it and tried to fix it. Unlike the first repair attempt, I sat right behind this kid and watched his every move, just like a over-zealous boss. The Kid said that he had this, so I could go about my business. I told him, four eyes and two 'smellers' are better than one. It took him quite a bit longer on this re-repair visit, but he got it right the third time. Just goes to show ya, if a gas company employee can't get it leak free the first time, how is the average home owner gonna fair? even if he has extensive boolit casting experience?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Cooking ovens/ranges.

Even if I wanted to do it, the way insurance and stuff works here in ct. if something went wrong it would probably be considered grave negligence. Inspection passing or not.

I’ve worked as a mechanic, carpenter, framer, glazier, etc. dabbled in plumbing and electric for friends and myself.

Zero interest in messing with gas.

A man has to know when it’s smarter to ask someone else to do it. Someone who’s done it before. And already has the knowledge and the skill and the equipment. By the time I buy all those tools and learn to use it right the other guy will have installed 20 ovens in 20 houses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by johnsonian09; 04-16-2024 at 12:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    Even if I wanted to do it, the way insurance and stuff works here in ct. if something went wrong it would probably be considered grave negligence. Inspection passing or not.

I’ve worked as a mechanic, carpenter, framer, glazier, etc. dabbled in plumbing and electric for friends and myself.

Zero interest in messing with gas.

A man has to know when it’s smarter to ask someone else to do it. Someone who’s done it before. And already has the knowledge and the skill and the equipment. By the time I buy all those tools and learn to use it right the other guy will have installed 20 ovens in 20 houses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You raise a good point. On the flip side can you trust who you hire? Just because someone has a gas license (easy to get) and is insured is not enough. Insurance requires me to hire a licensed chimney sweep. Have to climb the roof after to check their work. Over the years have had three friend's and family's homes burned on the first fire after a chimney clean.

Did my own gas and had building inspector sign-off for the record.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast