Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another safety glasses reminder.

Boolit Master

Wow
    Another close call yesterday. I was casting up some 311284 boolits for my Krag. I had just ladle'd and poured both cavities. With the mould over the pot, some of the molten sprue dribbled off the edge of the mould into the molten alloy. Then a drop of lead splashed up and hit the lense of my right eye about one cm from center towards my nose. Looks like I will also be wearing my face shield, or buying a pair of goggles to go over my glasses. Gonna get crowded up there on my ears, what with my hearing aids, glasses and face shield or goggles. Be safe.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    I was at the gun club earlier this week lighting off some 9mm's. Second to the last round in the magazine, blew pessure and powder in my face, barked oddly, recoil was different, more smoke than usual and jammed the slide. After removing the magazine and getting the slide back, I could see the fired case was turned around 180° and pushed a ways into the chamber. I removed the case, and saw where the case had blown out in the unsupported section of the chamber. The last round was pointing straight up still in the magazine. The case, Winchester, looked good, except for the blow out. Don't know the issue, unless it was a tired case, or ???? If not for my safety glasses, I would have surely wound up with debris in my eye/eyes. It definately pays to be safe.
    I had implants in my eyes a couple years ago. The implants were such that I could shoot a handgun with no glasses and see the sights. After the implants, if I wore my prescription glasses, the sights were blurry. So, I went down to COSTCO, and had a pair of glasses with polycarbonate lenses with no prescription at all. They work great. Let's be careful out there. We only have one pair of eyes.
    Implants? Tell me more.

Cataract surgery?
    or some kind of cyborg?

Boolit Grand Master

safety glasses arnt just for shooting casting and reloading. Fishing, shop environments, cutting grass, snow removal, working with animals all may need them

One close call I was fishing the local walleye run A guy beside me snagged up and when the heavy jig came loose it flew up hit me popping the lense from my glasses. Luckily no injury and the top of the waders caught the lense, so I was able to go up on bank and pop it back in.

Boolit Master

Regarding the implants.
    Not much more to tell. Each (left and right) implant have a different prescription, or magnification, if that's the way to call it. I'm right eye dominant, so the right implant is set to focus on the sights without distortion or being blurry. Without the implant or with my prescription glasses the sights were blurry and the target was clear. Now with the implants, the sights are clear. When not shooting, I wear my prescription glasses and my sight is normal.
    Last edited by littlejack; 04-26-2024 at 12:27 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Told this before, one of the highlights of my working career...

Was recovering a big rooftop chiller, pulling the vapor after removing the liquid.
    needed two levels of staging to reach it we were sitting in the sun at 12 feet
    Recovery machine under me blew off a hose at #500+ (New hose rated #1000, cold)
    Hose started whipping around. R-410a is gonna save the ozone, love the stuff.
    I hopped down, shut off my manifold, machine and recovery tank.
    Went and got another hose and more ice.
    My student worker put on his safety glasses and wore them from then on.

What are we gonna do when we run propane refrigerant? Go boom to save the world?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12