RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another safety glasses reminder.

Boolit Master

Another safety glasses reminder.

I was at the gun club earlier this week lighting off some 9mm's. Second to the last round in the magazine, blew pessure and powder in my face, barked oddly, recoil was different, more smoke than usual and jammed the slide. After removing the magazine and getting the slide back, I could see the fired case was turned around 180° and pushed a ways into the chamber. I removed the case, and saw where the case had blown out in the unsupported section of the chamber. The last round was pointing straight up still in the magazine. The case, Winchester, looked good, except for the blow out. Don't know the issue, unless it was a tired case, or ???? If not for my safety glasses, I would have surely wound up with debris in my eye/eyes. It definately pays to be safe.
    I had implants in my eyes a couple years ago. The implants were such that I could shoot a handgun with no glasses and see the sights. After the implants, if I wore my prescription glasses, the sights were blurry. So, I went down to COSTCO, and had a pair of glasses with polycarbonate lenses with no prescription at all. They work great. Let's be careful out there. We only have one pair of eyes.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

+1
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master
    I am confused about how a case can turn around 180 degrees.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Kudos on being a safe shooter.

I stress it all the time.

Boolit Master

Don, when you figure it out, please let me know.

Boolit Master
    Glasses.
    Amen!
    I’ve been blessed to have worn them since before first grade. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard a little “tick” hit my glasses. Machine shop, shooting, chemistry, carpentry, motor bike. Glasses are a blessing.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    I've always been a believer-- but I became even more of a believer one day when a 22 LR case blew out at the base in one of my 22 rifles. I have no idea how the pressure got around the bolt-- but I felt the blast hit my face (yes, I was wearing shooting glasses). Even a 22 in a bolt rifle??
    Hick: Iron sights!

I’ve gotten the “dry eye” from gas coming back a few times over decades of shooting.
    I’ve been lucky; I wear Beretta shooting glasses now that I’m older and marginally smarter….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    For a couple of years I had a pair of goggles with a blob of lead right in front of my right eye. I was pouring some sprues back in the pot when a larger piece fell off the spoon and splashed up at my face. If it had hit my eye, I'd have been very sorry. Safety glasses save eyes,
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

The job I retired from after forty years required the use of safety glasses at all times for very good reason. Wearing them while shooting has never been an issue for me.
    Whenever I get a new set of glasses, I order them with safety lenses just because.
    There have been a few places that didn't want to order safety lenses for some reason so I went somewhere else.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Don, when you figure it out, please let me know.
    Typical 6:00 case head blow-outs will direct their force into the magazine. That's probably the cause of the wonky orientation of the following cartridge, which likely pushed on the blown case differently than is the case in normal operation. Couple that with what isn't going to be normal extraction. . .sure, it could swap ends and get re-chambered backwards.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Jack; Cheap bifocal wraparound safety glasses from Amazon for me. and all my glasses are polycarbonate. I am glad nothing serious happened!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Glasses.
    Amen!
    I’ve been blessed to have worn them since before first grade. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard a little “tick” hit my glasses. Machine shop, shooting, chemistry, carpentry, motor bike. Glasses are a blessing.
    Only been wearing mine for 30 years, but, yes, the 'tink' has happened MANY times. Reinforced when those 'tinks' also result in a bit of something that is embedded in my cheek

Boolit Master

I always get the poly-carbonate option for my glasses at Costco. They may not be 100% safety rated and certified, but they sure beat nothing when things go wrong.
    I had a double-charge in a .45 ACP do pretty much what your 9mm did. Another time I learned the lesson about not shooting someone else's reloads in, of all things, a .458 Winchester. Both times I had hot gases going into my face, but I had my glasses on.
    I only need my glasses for distance, so I keep a set of safety glasses on my loading bench. They go on the second I step up to the bench.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

Good to hear no one has sustained serious or permanent injury.

...just today my glasses stopped a splash of boiling water: I had slipped a potato into it_ enough said
    Rob

Boolit Master
    I worked in a furniture machine room for 45 years. I have seen and helped clean up messes. A finger is bad enough but I have seen a couple guy's loose an eye. Except under extreme circumstances it is preventable. I wore prescription safety glasses for years and have had them damaged by flying debris. After cataract surgery I found several pair of bifocal safety glasses. Chainsaw, shooting, woodworking, whatever, I wear them.

Boolit Buddy
    My self-imposed rule is to put on safety glasses whenever I enter my workshop. One time I was removing a rear sight on a Remington rolling block--I loosened the screw holding down the leaf spring, but the spring and screw remained in place. When I leaned closer to see what was holding them down, 100+ years of grease and dirt gave up their grip and the spring launched that screw right smack into the middle of the right lens of my glasses, hard enough to leave a little mark.

You never know when the little project you're working on will produce a projectile aimed at your eyes--it's not only when working with power tools.
    And putting glasses on after the event doesn't help much.

Boolit Bub
    Good reminder to protect our eyesight. I wasn't always great about protecting my hearing when I was younger... shooting, motorcycles, chainsaws and other outdoor power equipment. I have ringing and hearing loss now.

strange thing: I hated and I hate motorcycle helmets, but I've always used glasses on motorbikes, and I can't stand to use my industrial vacuum cleaner without shooting hearmuffs...
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast