WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Do you dove hunt with #6 shot?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I may or do use #6 shot for dove hunting

15 35.71%
  • I never use #6 for dove hunting

27 64.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dove hunting with number six shot?

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    6-man. Playing Benjamin was a killer, as they should have been in an 11-man class. All they had to do was wear us out!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    6 man or 8 man football; I don’t recall.
    My friend grew up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master

This was a SLOW dove shooting year
    7 1/2 shot or smaller used

01 Sept 23 11 Doves, Daly 410 3” 7 ˝ reloads
    02 Sept 23 13 Doves, Daly 20 gauge
    04 Sept 23 15 Doves, Browning Superposed Chisled 20 IC/Mod
    05 Sept 23 01 doves, L.C.Smith Q3 (1893) with Briley 20 ga tubes
    06 Sept 23 11 Doves, Rem 3200 with 20 gauge barrels
    NO HUNT HOT 105 degrees
    09 Sept 23 15 doves, Browning Superposed 20 ga IC/Mod LTRK
    11 Sept 23 15 doves, Remington 1100 16 gauge with cut barrel no vent
    12 Sept 23 03 doves, Superposed 20 4 digit, farmer plowing field
    No hunt for three days, wet roads
    18 Sept 23 15 doves, Citori 16 gauge
    19 Sept 23 8 doves, Zamacola 12 gauge, short hunt,
    23 Sept 23 15 doves, Remington 3200 with special barrels
    25 Sept 23 10 doves, Bernardelli Gamecock Premier 12 ga, use light ammo
    30 Sept 23 10 doves, Rottweil Olympia 12 ga
    02 Oct 23 10 doves, GECO 16 gauge WINDY and Cold
    03 Oct 23 05 doves, Daly Superior, 20 ga, VERY WINDY
    09 Oct 23 06 doves, Amercan Arms Brittany 20 gauge, FEW DOVES
    15 Oct 23 00 doves, Liege a Feu 16 gauge, was 32 degrees yesterday
    24 Oct 23 00 doves, Citori 12 gauge, NO DOVES, SEASON OVER
    163 DOVES
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I use #7-1/2 shot in my 12 ga but don't use it much anymore for doves. I prefer to hunt doves with my 1100 .410 with 3" shells & 1/2oz or 5/8oz of #6 shot. I find that I get a lot less cripples to chase down. If one or two #6 pellets hit, they usually drop like a rock! JIMHO...
    Last edited by pertnear; 04-16-2024 at 07:24 PM.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    Teal season Runs concurent with dove season here in the second half of September. I used 1oz of steel 6's for teal and dove on a hunt years ago. Soon after It became my go to dove load. Lots of pellets in an ounce of STEEL 6s.

Boolit Master
    8s or 9s for me. My press shot die said 1 1/4 oz but only held 1 3/16 oz. I used 6s for ducks and pheasants. I haven't hunted much of anything except grouse with a shotgun in quite a while. For grouse its 9s or a 22lr from a Savage 24 in 22/410.

Shoot Sporting Clays a couple times a week, mostly sub gauge, 20,28, 410, Quail and doves in FL, AL, TX, OK, SD , ND, Argentina a dozen times, Chile, Paraguay, 10 day trips, South Africa pigeon shooting 14 day trip. A load 7 1/2 shot will break a flying clay at 75 yards and a #9 out to 50. I alway specify 20ga #8s for my trips, and is what ai shoot at the range and on hunting trips for quail and doves. In Dakota in late November, one time, had to go to #4s on the fully filled out winter coat, ditch chickens. Like armor plate, go big or stay home, on late in the season pheasants.
    Early on Doves, I shoot my Browning 28ga. Best to have a dog if you use a 28.
    In South Africa the day after we got our guns in, I shot 1,750 Rock piegeons in one day with the 32" Ultra XS 20ga. It took three 65 Gal nylon bags to pinck them all up. PH said it looked like a pigeon war had happened on my stand. Gun got so hot you could not tuch the metal, fore arm, was smoking. Millions of pigeons come in to the sunflower harvest in April. We went with Grassland Safaris, a wing and plains game outfit, in Orange State, RSA.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpatoloco View Post
    Teal season Runs concurent with dove season here in the second half of September. I used 1oz of steel 6's for teal and dove on a hunt years ago. Soon after It became my go to dove load. Lots of pellets in an ounce of STEEL 6s.
    Same here. Steel 6's will go right through a dove. I don't like biting down on shot. Steel 6's have become my preferred dove load. For squirrel I like an ounce of #4 steel in a 20 gauge.

Boolit Bub
    When I was young, decades ago, I used a 20 gauge pump with a modified choke. The location I hunted was a huge field that could only be hunted one one side. The dove would feed across the field from us. By the time they flew over/by us the would be out of range of 12 gauge high brass 8’s. Having just one box of 8’s low brass I wouldn’t shoot. My older brother took me to the store with him during the first season one year and bought me a box of 20 gauge high brass duck and pheasant 6’s. Immediately I started hitting what I was shooting at. I never looked back. Ducks and dove but not quail. Number 9’s.

Boolit Master

16 ga 7/8 oz#8. handloads smokes'em. shoot where they're goin', not where they've been!

Boolit Grand Master
    When I hunted doves, it was 6's, quail, I used 7.5's, crows , I used magnum #2's and squirrels were #4's out of a 410.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12