WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cost of tin gone crazy

Boolit Master

cost of tin gone crazy

yesterday in a trip through the local Lowes while walking down the plumbing aisle my eyes caught glimpse of rolls of solder. when I looked at the shelf they had 1/2 pound rolls of no lead solder which is usually pure tin with maybe a minuscule tiny amount of copper or silver added. it didn't say on the label exactly the composition but i know its beloved tin. what got me putting on my reading glasses to read the fine print on the price sticker on the shelf. $33 for 1/2 pound roll.
    when my back is screwing with me I'm usually here on the internet sometimes scouring auctions to keep up with whats going on and maybe find some useful bargain.
    I'm currently watching 150 pounds of tin solder. that stuff would just love to come home with me and get mixed up with my buckets of wheel weights and pure lead if the price doesn't get to be a fraction of $66 a pound.

Boolit Grand Master

Virgin metal has always been pricey compared to scrap. I’m very thankful I got in on the front end of pewter scrounging before prices on that started to climb. I managed to put up a lifetime supply for myself, made a few dollars selling to my fellow board members and I like to think I helped a few neophytes start their own searches along the way.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Rotometals has super pure tin for 38.00 for a 1.1 lb. bar. Regular tin for 28.00 with a minimum purchase of 6 units.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Virgin metal has always been pricey compared to scrap. I’m very thankful I got in on the front end of pewter scrounging before prices on that started to climb. I managed to put up a lifetime supply for myself, made a few dollars selling to my fellow board members and I like to think I helped a few neophytes start their own searches along the way.
    You certainly helped me! I started scrounging pewter and your tutoring really helped. Now, I can identify good pewter a mile away. I have a good supply of pewter and actually use some of the pieces, but if needed they would go in the pot. For some reason I don't shoot, reload, nor cast, as much as I used to do. I can shoot in my back yard too. What?

Boolit Master
    Metal, almost of any sort is going up in price.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Rotometal has the very convenient Tin wire pieces that weigh about 1/2 ounce each for $29.99/lb. If you order $100 you get free shipping. I anticipated bad times a few years back and bought a lifetime supply from them at $17.50/lb. As I said, the wire pieces are so convenient to use since they all weight the same - all you have to do is count out the weight you need for your pot.

https://www.rotometals.com/tin-cut-w...d-made-in-usa/

In the old days, I'd buy a 1lb. roll of 95/5 for 7-8 bucks for a big plumbing project,
    then toss what was left in the buckets with all the other 'castables'.

Then didn't need any for several years. One day I was at the big box store, and saw the same rolls for $35.
    I about swallowed my tongue.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    More & more electronics using more & more tin. Even refrigerators have LCD
    screens now.

It's been a while, but I remember seeing tin sinkers at Wallyworld.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    It's been a while, but I remember seeing tin sinkers at Wallyworld.
    It must of been a while because all of their sinkers now are cheap zinc. I bought some split shot and you can't just pinch them on like the lead ones. You have crimp them on with pliers till the line breaks or risk cracking your teeth. I threw them away.

Boolit Master
    A friend that prototypes and manufactures power supplies for electrical equipment says about all his customers specify lead free solder. He knows from experience that lead makes the solder joint more durable to hard use and heat. Same for all the plumbers I know too. Plumbing code used to require copper and lead free solder for the back flow check valve, expansion tank and 2' of copper pipe around the hot water heater. Cost of lead free solder drove the install very high. Now it's not required. You can run PEX right to any device.

I did have a customer want a new sink faucet installed. Made in China that had a dangling tag that said lead was used in the manufacture. Customer preferred the low price so I installed it.

Quote Originally Posted by delkal View Post
    it must of been a while because all of their sinkers now are cheap zinc.

w0w!!!!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, prices of all alloys has gone through the roof. Look at what people are selling lead for in the S&S section. $2-3/lb if you're lucky. Spot on lead is currently at 0.98/lb USD as of the time of writing this comment. Order it through ROTOMetals and you'd do well to wonder if it is plated in gold. I just can't wrap my head around why people think it's worth that much as scrap.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    For years I picked up rolls of solder at yard sales and flea markets for almost nothing. Probably have 15-20 lbs of 50-50. Lately even those places have gone up but keep your eye out. I picked up some pewter lately and poured it in thumb size pieces. I am glad that I don't need anything else. A life time supply doesn't look like it used to.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Yeah, prices of all alloys has gone through the roof. Look at what people are selling lead for in the S&S section. $2-3/lb if you're lucky. Spot on lead is currently at 0.98/lb USD as of the time of writing this comment. Order it through ROTOMetals and you'd do well to wonder if it is plated in gold. I just can't wrap my head around why people think it's worth that much as scrap.
    The price increases are caused by the closing of all of the lead foundries in the US!
    The ore is still mined but it is sent to China to be refined and then shipped back to the USA!

Boolit Master

I picked up a bunch of lead pipe a long time ago and cut the wiped joints off and then melted the solder off the joints.
    The solder melted before the lead, you just have to stay there and watch it. Once a puddle formed it was easy to just roll the joint and then grab the piece of lead pipe, the brass fittings are not going to melt so they can be removed after the lead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    The price increases are caused by the closing of all of the lead foundries in the US!
    The ore is still mined but it is sent to China to be refined and then shipped back to the USA!
    That accounts for the rise in spot price, not people selling it for more than spot. Spot is the value of the metal on the market. Sort of like the price for corn, price for gas, or price for any other commodity. People selling above that are selling it for more than what it’s worth. People willing to buy it for that 3x spot price are over paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    I was at the grocery store earlier this week. Check to see what the price of any produce might be to get something fresh. 4 ears of sweet corn was $5. I'm pretty sure that's above spot. Aged (?) leftover meat was $9/lb. Bologna was 2 - 1lb packs for $6. Everything is as high as a giraffe's hind end.

Boolit Master
    I’d guess RotoMetals buys tin directly from the refiner which they then sell to the public. A hardware store buys the solder from the manufacturer who made it with tin they bought from the refiner.

There’s a pricing rule of thumb called “keystoning”, that doubles the price every time goods change hands. A quick check shows the spot price of tin at a bit over $15/#, so, while painful, maybe RotoMetals’ pure tin at around $30/# and the hardware store’s solder at $66/# are to be expected.

Like imashooter2, I’m glad I have a good supply of scrounged pewter bought for considerably less than the wholesale price; making the few hundred pounds of 2% tin alloy I need each year would cost me a few C notes in tin otherwise.

Boolit Mold
    if anybody is in need of tin let me know. I've just finished smelting organ pipes and have a bunch of 50/50 (tin/lead) to swap for other lead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast