WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Powdercoat AND Lube

Boolit Buddy

Question Powdercoat AND Lube

Fortunecookie45 showed some pictures of bullets that had been powder coated, and then had either pan lube or lubrizizer lube on top of that. I have never done both, and don't know why someone actually would.

At present I have about 1500 powder coated bullets I bought from Missouri Bullet Company, and they are the pan lube design - with one big groove. Would I gain anything from pan lubing these too?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Moderator Emeritus

Lube should solve all the problems you get from shooting lube-free PC bullets.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    Fortunecookie45 showed some pictures of bullets that had been powder coated, and then had either pan lube or lubrizizer lube on top of that. I have never done both, and don't know why someone actually would.

At present I have about 1500 powder coated bullets I bought from Missouri Bullet Company, and they are the pan lube design - with one big groove. Would I gain anything from pan lubing these too?
    Smoke/gooed up gun will be all that's gained...
    jmo,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Grand Master

Nothing will be gained from lubing powder coated boolits .
    Just load them powder coated ... and ignore the Belt and Suspenders must be better ... Cookie Bunch .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Been there, done that. Is there an advantage in lubing powder coated bullets? For the average reloader I would say no. For trying to eek out the last bit of accuracy from PC'd bullets there is a niche, but it's a lot of extra work and 99.9% of bullet casters aren't going to go down that road. Keep in mind that when I speak about "lubed" I mean swirl lubed with 45-45-10, not conventional lube. Here's some info. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Hybrid-Boolits

and: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=hybrid+bullet

Boolit Grand Master
    one or the other, no need for both
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I do it with the ones I use for long range, I don't have a scientifically proven reason
    I started doing it to improve the gas cut

Boolit Master

you tubers are selling a product, the more out there the catch, the more watches they get, always take what anybody on the internet has to say with a grain of salt. now as to doing both, if your shooting black powder it helps with fowling but if your using smokeless then its just an extra step. my 45-70 i powder coat to distinguish between loads and lube because i like to shoot holy black.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Nope, not needed. BLL actually degrades PC. Tested on rifle bullets.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    My 45-70 i powder coat to distinguish between loads and lube because i like to shoot holy black.
    Wow - same here. My plain lead 45-70 & 38 special are all Black Powder rounds. The powder coated all have smokeless in them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Grand Master
    I size my PC's in a 450 Lyman. Lube is there and it seems to assist pushing through the sizer. As for shooting, I've done both, with & without, and haven't seen much difference. My barrel is squeaky clean with the lube.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    you tubers are selling a product, the more out there the catch, the more watches they get, always take what anybody on the internet has to say with a grain of salt. now as to doing both, if your shooting black powder it helps with fowling but if your using smokeless then its just an extra step. my 45-70 i powder coat to distinguish between loads and lube because i like to shoot holy black.

LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!
    Truer words were never spoken
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't know about you guys, but I had a 35 Whelen 7400 semi that would shoot groups a bit over 3" with PC boolits pushed to about 2000fps and sub 2" groups when I added lube to the PC as the only change. I used Caranuba blue in my Star machine

I solved a problem with lead rings in the chamber by lubing my power coated bullets. 458 socom with cast subs went from paterns on the target to good groups and the lube was one of the reasons i beleive.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried it but why not. The best of both worlds.