MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Lee .45 ACP "new" powder thru die.

Boolit Master

Lee .45 ACP "new" powder thru die.

Has anybody used the new Lee 45 powder thru die yet?
    There making them like the Lyman M die. I ordered one
    and am waiting for it to arrive. Can't wait to try it out.

Did you order your die directly from Lee? I posted about the new M style powder thru expanders in the reloading equipment section a couple weeks ago. These are being quietly introduced by Lee with absolutely no advertising about them. The expanders even have the same part numbers as the old flared style. Currently the only way to be sure to get the new m style expander is to order the expander or the die directly from Lee. If you get them from other vendors you might not get the new one until their old stock runs out.
    Around January or February I got a set of 360 Buckhammer dies and a 38 S&W powder thru die and they do have the new m style expanders. A week or so ago I received powder thru expander plugs for my 45 colt, 38 special and 9mm dies directly from Lee and they are the new style.
    The only one I have loaded with so far is the 360 Buckhammer. I have not shot the gun yet, but the powder thru expander works great. Just like a lyman m die except you can load the powder at the same time.

Boolit Master

Yea Grizz, I ordered it directly from Lee.
    I'm excited to try it.

Boolit Master

The old Lee die just put a bell on the case mouth. The new Lee die puts a step on the
    case mouth like the Lyman M dies. Makes it much easier to seat a cast bullet.

Boolit Master
    Do the new dies have a different part number?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    Do the new dies have a different part number?
    No, same part numbers as old ones. New stock/style will simply replace older style with new orders heading to retailers. Best way to “guarantee” is to order directly from Lee if you’re not willing to wait awhile for said stock to rotate out. Packaging will be the same. I spoke with Lee a few weeks ago and they recommended Titan Reloading to save a couple bucks since factory-direct pricing from Lee is higher than through their approved retailer chains. Apparently Titan was already selling the new style as they are one of Lee’s busiest retailers.

Hot diggity dog! I think this is great. I buy the NOE expander buttons that work like a Lyman M die and use those in my Lee expander die. I have already bought those for several calibers, the calibers I haven't are where I use a powder through expander die and didn't want to give up that convenience on a turret press.

The ability to size the case so it doesn't compress a lead bullet but instead has a consistent tension on the bullet is something you can feel when seating the bullet and I think shows up as more consistent ammo on the range.

Won't be rushing out to replace everything with the new "gizmo" but will be looking at my turret plates for where I could really use one to simplify my reloading.

One question: Does the new Lee die have both a neck sizing portion that ends with a slight step to open the case mouth? The NOE buttons the neck sizing portion and the mouth dimension are both specified. That little step at the top of the sizing die that opens the mouth I think helps avoid shaving lead and guiding the bullet in straight. For example 223 bullet the NOE size is a 222 224 which is 1000th under for neck and 1000th over at the very lip of the mouth. I think there is less stress on the brass than the flared expansion of the mouth using an expander with just that small step at the end.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    One question: Does the new Lee die have both a neck sizing portion that ends with a slight step to open the case mouth? The NOE buttons the neck sizing portion and the mouth dimension are both specified.
    Yes, that is the very definition of an "M" style expander. The new Lee expander plugs seem to have a .005 step. The new style expander plug I received for the .38 spl powder thru die measures .357 on the lower part and .363 on the upper step with my calipers. The 45 Colt plug measures .451 and .456 respectively.