MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheel weight value

Boolit Master

wheel weight value

about 15 years ago i had a tire shop give me their wheel weights over a year period which i still have.Whats a fair price today with the same buckets? ive melted some before and had no zinc issues.im not going to go thru them either before moving them

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Dad used to tell me something is worth what someone will pay for it...
    I guess he’s right. There are a lot of overpriced listings out there. I went to your profile to look for your location, but couldn’t find it. I’d like the wheel weights, if you weren’t too far away.

I tried buying some here at the nearest scrapyard, and was told they couldn’t sell them to me, since I wasn’t a certified recycler.

Boolit Master

Not too long ago, maybe 30 years ago, I was buying lead and WW for a nickel or ten cents a pound.
    I sold some rather than move it for 25 cents a pound only to find out that it was going for a dollar a pound!
    Clean goes for more than raw with the clips on.
    Last time I bought some from a tire store I paid 30 cents a pound and out of 300 pounds I barely got 90 pounds of usable lead!
    The scrap yard was asking 75 cents a pound last time I checked.

I've only bought by the pound from a scrap yard.
    The tire shops I've visited have just sold them by the bucket.
    My main one that I bought the most from was $35/bucket. I've paid up to $50/bucket.
    Had one tell me they got $75 once. I politely declined.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Sold some here in summer of 2022 at $55 shipped for 50 lb raw. Sold quick.

When lead was selling for fifty cents at the scrap yard, the raw clip on wheel weights were ten cents a pound

Moderator Emeritus

It depends on how you plan to sell them. If you are gonna ship, Brassmonkey gave you a real good answer. If you plan to sell them locally, much depends on your area. Last Spring, due to lack of easy storage space, I decided to list my stash of vintage COWW in the Raw here on the S&S, as pick-up only. I recall I listed them at a buck a lb??? my memory ain't always so great. I did get 2 offers, and they were less than I liked (under 50˘), so I kept the WW. But in all honestly, the offers were fair, that alloy is just not rare enough in my area yet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I haven't collected any WW for over 15 years, but when I did, I never paid a dime for them.

It's a 'make your best deal' sort of thing and prices float up & down like gasoline or any other commodity.
    The scrap yards I used to deal with would sell Lead, or anything else for 1 & 1/2 times what they paid for it.

If they paid $1.00 a pound for something, they'd sell it for $1.50.

For casting boolits, old school wheel weights are more desirable than pure Lead since it already has a few 'goodies' in it.
    But pretty much only a boolit or maybe a fishing sinker caster would pay more for them than pure Lead.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    The Kitco 24-hour lead quote at the top of the page is a clue. Lead seems to be a buck a pound and that is what my scrap yard charges. They have wheel weights but just dumped in the bin with everything else including zinc wheel weights. You have to sort yourself or just grab whatever. Yeah, wheel weights are nicer for bullets than roof sheeting or lead pipe so maybe you get a few cents a pound more for wheel weight lead.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Bub
    25 years ago a case of beer on friday at the local tire shop. Once I month I walked out of there with 1-2 five gallon buckets full. Guys in the back wouldn't take the first friday of the month off the manager said. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    It depends on how you plan to sell them.

Yup!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I used to pay $25 for a 5gal bucket. When the price here went to $50 & almost half was non lead, I quit collecting. If you melt them into 1# ingots, you can flat rate box them for $1/# easy.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

It seems like a 5 gallon bucket will go for between $20 to $50. I would hesitate to pay much more than $20 with the amount of non lead weights that I've been finding. I recently passed on a bucket that they wanted $50 for. It looked like they were mostly truck weights and looked to be mostly lead. I would have bought them if I had needed them. Back around 2018 I bought 5600# of sorted weights and paid 40 cents a pound for the weights and 70cents a pound for some ingots that he also had. I posted about this haul back then and even started a game with prizes to guess the number of weights we had piled up on a pallet.

Good Luck with your sale.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I used to pay $25 for a 5gal bucket. When the price here went to $50 & almost half was non lead, I quit collecting. If you melt them into 1# ingots, you can flat rate box them for $1/# easy.
    ill just keep them before i melt them and do all the work and expense for a dollar a lb plus having to buy propane. ill find someone who wants them for making shot.

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    ill just keep them before i melt them and do all the work and expense for a dollar a lb plus having to buy propane. ill find someone who wants them for making shot.
    You might get a bit more but not much. Yeah, its work but I wont buy raw ww anymore. I used to, got a bunch of crud that had to be sorted & tossed anyway, plus the 20-50% or so loss, wasnt worth even the 20c/# I paid. Someone has to do the work.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ht=Making+shot

I’ve got a thread started wanting to make my own shot. What state are you in?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Barry54; 04-23-2024 at 06:32 PM.

Boolit Mold
    just for people searching in the future. Looks like currently wheel weights are $0.13/lb when I posted this. I paid 11 cents/pound last year at the local tire shop so price has went up a little bit. Of course, when you add in my time to sort, melt, cast into blocks it is probably $20/lb

Look at the "lead scrap dirty" for what the recycle yard will pay, the wheel weight prices haven't been updated, but the tire dealer told me the scrap yard buys from them for dirty lead price so that's what they sell to me for. My 5 gallon buckets were somewhere around 60-70 lbs each filled 3/4 full if I remember correctly. So just under $10/bucket. I haven't sorted it all yet but there did seem to be more lead than other metals. A lot of valve stem caps too...

https://www.scrapmonster.com/scrap-y...e/lead-scrap/5

but, like others have said, if you are selling, the weights are all sorted (no zinc or steel) people will probably pay more. If clean and cast into ingots I see people asking $2/lb around here in classified ads but not sure if anyone is buying at that price.
    Last edited by MDKelley; 04-24-2024 at 07:51 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    My local scrap yard charges $1.00/lb but buys for $0.10/lb last time I asked

Locally we can expect to pay $40 a five gallon bucket full of wheel weights. It's a mixed bag of types and in spite of the waste it's a good deal cheaper than buying it. Not to mention I sell my discarded ones to the recycling center so I get something back to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast