Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: chiappa 1886 deluxe with 24 inch octagon barrel

Boolit Buddy

chiappa 1886 deluxe with 24 inch octagon barrel

do any of you have any information on this rifle, good or bad?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear1950 View Post
    do any of you have any information on this rifle, good or bad?
    I bought a Chiappa standard grade - used (as new six shots fired) - discounted - brought it home - wouldnt cycle a round from the magazine - the rims were hanging up in the carrier - I got mad at the dealer - was gonna take it back - shot ten rounds of blackpowder - scary accurate - no way they gettin it back !

shoulda took some dummy rounds to the shop to test it proly got a couple hundred more discount off it -- now fixed it is a good gun, attractive, well finished, accurate. The deluxe is several notches better again - just check it out (better than I did) for proper function and bore scope it.

My 1886 24" "Sporting Rifle" is a Pedersoli and I think Chiappa use Ped actions with their own barrel. If that is so, my is very reliable and accurate.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    That is an extremely nice looking rifle!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

I bought a Pedersoli 1886 in 45-70. The gun overall looked great and shot very well with my cast Gatling Gun loads. The gun was used and the butt stock looked like it was carried in the rain on a hunt. The plastic stock finish was starting to lift around the butt plate. So I removed the butt stock and forearm and applied Stripeeze paint and varnish remover. Steel wool cleaned it up quite nice. I was disappointed to find they used coil springs instead of the original flat springs. I have three original 1886 Winchesters that I have enjoyed for many years. After all the crap plastic stock finish was removed, I put three coats of Burchwood Casey Tru Oil on the butt and forearm. What an improvement! The Pedersoli looked almost original!!!

Mine had a serious issue. Still has a few minor issues. First, the carrier hook journals were sloppy, namely the one resting in the lever, I was forced to very carefully upset it to swell it a few thou to take the slop out.

Second, the forward most journal on the carrier hook that fits into the carrier was tapered and between the two issues, this would cause the carrier hook to pop out of the slot in the carrier and fall to the bottom on the action thus locking the action up in a bad way requiring a dental pick to lift back into place. I filed a positive angle into the journal and the end of the slot of the carrier creating a positive angle interface between the two to help keep the hook captive in the slot.

The carrier hook is also a hair short protruding through the carrier and on occasion, if it encounters a rounded point in a case rim, it'll skip under the rim and fail to draw the rim into the carrier rim clip, as the action opens fully, the unsecured cartridge will cartwheel out of the action defeating the purpose of the carrier. I could heat and change the angle of the hook and may, but most likely I'll machine an entirely new hook from a flat of 4140.
    I did try a Miroku made carrier hook but the journals are far far too small diameter, shame too because the rest was actually perfect.

I had to work over the locking bolts. They were so snug that I had to invert the rifle and yank on the lever to break the action open. Took some gentle lapping on glass backed 800 grit wet/dry soaked with water to lap down with 20 or so test fits until it wasn't bound up anymore. Layout fluid is of great help finding binds like this.

Remaining issues are: Carrier hook occasionally skips the rim, rims of cartridges leaving the magazine occasionally hanging up on the King's gate and flaking stock lacquer.
    Last edited by Brimstone; Today at 06:20 AM.

Boolit Master

Hey Brimstone: I must have gotten lucky as my 86 Pedersoli action is as smooth as my original 86's. My only problem was the crappy plastic stock finish. It was peeling like wax paper on the wood. Once removed, the #0000 steel wool cleaned up the surface of the stock. The Burchwood Casey Tru Oil worked great! Even if its a rain day during buck season the stock is sealed with the oil finish. Eventually the ole Pedersoli 86 will look like an original Winchester.