MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite rimfire scope

Boolit Master
    fixed 3 or 4x leupold a 2x7 leupold would be ultimate

Boolit Master

Sorry guys, I have to make a correction of my earlier post. I did not check the rifle before I posted and my memory is nowhere near as good as it once was. I haven't shot the rifle in over 25 years. The scope on my Marlin 39A is a 4X Burris Mini scope and it is clear as a bell. I like the smaller scopes and have several of them on my rifles. I just never like to see a rifle with a scope on it that was nearly as long as the barrel, just a visual thing with me. james

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1560C007-A6B4-4FE0-A607-B80F5C876EDC.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	325724]. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81F33377-9384-45B9-BC79-09540A65300E.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	325723

I picked the wrong photo on the Ruger 6.5-55mm, and don’t know how to get it off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B5297DDA-E0A2-4555-8126-086D5B5D3213.jpg  
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 04-15-2024 at 10:21 AM.

Now you’re just bragging!
    Both those rifles are nice,
    Those Burris Mini scopes are good to go.
    I had a Mini 6x on my BRNO K98/ Shaw 8mm sporter when it was my only deer rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is one big advantage to a cheap scope, besides being inexpensive of course.
    If you miss you can blame it on the scope.

Boolit Master

Back in 1981 I splurged.... licked a stamp and signed a check for a Bushnell Banner .22 Scope a couple weeks later it arrived, went directly onto my Ruger 10/22 circa 1967. I was so impressed that the following payday I licked another stamp and got a second one for my Western Auto Model 100...both 4X and both still functioning flawlessly crystal clear after years of constant use. That Model 100 accounted for at least 50 Jack Rabbits yearly along the Colorado River agriculture area in Mohave Valley AZ. It was a great tune up for Mule Deer season. 40.00 bucks ea.
    I imagine Ebay might have one from time to time.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Oh my Lord James. That is one beautiful rifle.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

You ought to have seen it when I first bought it. We had a local hardware store in town in the 60's and 70's that was being run by a really nice guy who had inherited it from his father, who had inherited it from his Father. All Great people and gun people. Anyway, every time my brother and I went into the store on our lunch hour, George would be there and hollar at us from wherever he was in the store. One day he asked me if I was willing to do a little work on a nice rifle that had come into the store in a large shipment of guns. He took me upstairs to a storage safe and pulled on the little Marlin 39A and handed it me. Some one at the factory should have been fired for letting it out of the factory in the shape it was in. It had been sprayed, the whole rifle, with the plastic finish that Marlin used on their stocks. It was called Marshield and tough as nails. He said he was going to send it back if I didn't take it as there was no way he would sell it to a customer that way. I took it for a ridiculous low price and went home and started work on the stock and handguard, leaving the metal receiver and barrel to last as I really dreaded trying to get the plastics finish off it without ruining the blue. Long story short, it took me about 3 weeks of hard work to get the plastic finish off the stock and forearm. But it was worth it as you can see the tiger tail streaking in the wood. I finish the stock in Linspeed oil and it looks great to me. I used bore cleaner and patches and rubbed and rubbed for 6 months or longer to get the plastic all off the metal but it slowly came off. It was amazing at the beauty of the wood underneath all that plastic and also the beautiful polished blue also. I even got plastic finish off some of the internals such as the extractor and firing pin. AS well as the lifter and inner part of the lever. But in the end it was well worth it as it is a tack driver par excellence. I have been offered far more money that I paid for it over the years but it is one rifle that will be with me when I cross over the Jordan. james

Boolit Grand Master
    Good story James and it is a beautiful rifle. Your efforts paid off.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

My skills are average at best. There are legions of people on Cast Boolits that have far greater skills than I do. Really I jus lucked into a beautiful rifle that had been hidden beneath a terrible job at the Marlin factory and it had to be done by someone who knew better. Maybe drunk on the job, high on pills, who knows. Biggest thing I thought about when I got it home was the question "who in their right mind would spray a rifle after it had been assembled and finished". I still have a hard time believing that it happened and how it ever got out of the Factory that way. ow well, I have beat this one to death in my mind over the years and still no answers, james

Boolit Buddy
    KimberLH #1 has a 2-7 Leupold with plex.
    Wife's Kimber has a 4x Leupold. (She could outshoot me and the above rifle.)
    KimberLH #2 has a 2-7 Leupold RF MOA. I wish this was gloss finish, but l like the scope. The clicks are not a clear as the older scopes but I am having fun learning to use the hash marks.
    All the above scopes are held on with Conetrol rings and bases.

My most used 22 scope fits on a SS Ruger 10/22 and is an older silver Weaver 2-7. This is the rifle that gets to go shooting the most. The first scope came apart inside (parts could be seen "floating" inside) but was replaced by Weaver with a new one that has held up for many many years.

Boolit Master
    EFR Leupold. Got a couple of the 6.5x20x40's mounted.

Boolit Master
    I bought the Burris Rimfire, the parallax is set a 50 yards. It has hold over hash marks that work nicely to 100 yards. Cost about $110

Boolit Master
    ive been thoroughly impressed with the vortex diamondback 2-7 35 and the warranty cant be beat

Boolit Master
    I use a 3X9 Nikon Prostaff on my lightly customized 10/22. Does a good job.

Boolit Master
    6-24 power nightforce.
    Seen a couple now on some tactical railed out , dialed in things which have 308 size mags. I assume , so you can pretend you are shooting the big boys toys.

4x was all I used for hunting 32 or a bigger 40mm was considered optimal for low light shooting.

But then again we didn’t need Eley tenx or Lapua to shoot rabbits in the head either.

On a 14 inch Contender a Weaver T36 is the best
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    My skills are average at best. There are legions of people on Cast Boolits that have far greater skills than I do. Really I jus lucked into a beautiful rifle that had been hidden beneath a terrible job at the Marlin factory and it had to be done by someone who knew better. Maybe drunk on the job, high on pills, who knows. Biggest thing I thought about when I got it home was the question "who in their right mind would spray a rifle after it had been assembled and finished". I still have a hard time believing that it happened and how it ever got out of the Factory that way. ow well, I have beat this one to death in my mind over the years and still no answers, james
    My thought was an intentional "mistake" by a line worker, hoping that he could buy the 'defective' rifle for a song instead of the factory having to rework it. And then his plan didn't work out for whatever reason ?

Perhaps more plausible with the wood being choice like that; anyway, just brainstorming on my end.

Boolit Master

After giving your post a little thought Kestrel4k, your reasoning is most likely better than mine. I know one thing for sure; it was a lot of work but it was well worth it. james

Boolit Bub
    I have been very happy with the Burris Droptine 22LR scope on my Remington 512 and my Marlin 60.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12