Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Unexpected treat this morning.

Boolit Buddy

Cool Unexpected treat this morning.

I went to the town barn this morning to drop off our recently defunct microwave and some waste oil. In front of the metal dumpster were three hefty lead ingots. I asked the kid working there why they were laying there. He said they couldn't accept that kind of metal in the scrap dumpster. I asked if he was keeping them for himself. He says he wasn't and didn't even know what they were.

I told him I'd solve his problem. Not that I NEED more lead in the garage stockpile but I sure can't say no to clean free lead. The ingots feel pretty soft too. Will need to cut them up into smaller pieces to fit in the pot when it's time to turn them into bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ingots.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	325688

This was an unexpected treat this morning. I wonder what the significance of GEE-GEE was.

This was an unexpected treat this morning. I wonder what the significance of GEE-GEE was.

Probably their way of saying "Oh-Boy! we get to be bullets and not some lousy sewer line joint".

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Now that is a find . Sounds like it will be put to good use ! Good for you !
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master

Good for you. james

Boolit Master
    The scrap yard I use, won't sell you lead, but one day the guy that does the weighing of your scrap, gave me 6 lbs of linotype. Go figure.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice find! It pays to keep your eyes open!

Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    The scrap yard I use, won't sell you lead, but one day the guy that does the weighing of your scrap, gave me 6 lbs of linotype. Go figure.
    Linotype is a useful metal but lead is a toxin dontcha know?

Boolit Master
    That was a great find, they look like 25 plus lbs. each. Toxic, yea right. I live in NJ and I have three superfund sites within 5 miles of me. A military missile silo where a nuke missile caught on fire, a military dump with god only knows what in it and a junkyard that some Iranians took over right behind me that was on the superfund site before they took it over but somehow mysteriously got a clean bill of health once they bought out the local officials. I know a guy whose father use to truck drums of chemicals there and they buried them. 20 years ago they had a fire that erupted from underground when the chemicals mixed together that burned for two weeks. So, I am not in the slightest bit worried about my 1.75 tons of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    That was a great find, they look like 25 plus lbs. each. Toxic, yea right. I live in NJ and I have three superfund sites within 5 miles of me. A military missile silo where a nuke missile caught on fire, a military dump with god only knows what in it and a junkyard that some Iranians took over right behind me that was on the superfund site before they took it over but somehow mysteriously got a clean bill of health once they bought out the local officials. I know a guy whose father use to truck drums of chemicals there and they buried them. 20 years ago they had a fire that erupted from underground when the chemicals mixed together that burned for two weeks. So, I am not in the slightest bit worried about my 1.75 tons of lead.
    Not to go to far off topic, but this reminds of the old joke, "Why does NJ have all the toxic waste dumps and DC has all the lawyers....NJ had first choice."
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.