RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: First shots: Mauser 1871-84 mfg 1888

Boolit Master

First shots: Mauser 1871-84 mfg 1888

First time shooting this rifle. Did a small number loaded with RCBS 380 gr RN .446" loaded with 12 grs Unique. Wasn't a powder-puff load. (and no filler).

I had modified Starline .45-90 brass with the rim swaged back to make a wider headspace and they functioned perfectly. I was given two boxes of the Bell Mauser Base and there are apparently two different headstamps but both functioned perfectly. I was watching mostly for protruding primers after firing. The fired primers were perfectly flush with the casehead. And in inspecting the edges of the primer and the firing pin indent all areas failed to show any excess pressure at all. I was pleased with the appearance of the primers. I was bustin' dirtclods at 200 yds with the old krautvapen. Its a heavy dang rifle!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0699.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	325671
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0700.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	325672

Boolit Buddy
    From what I see from the primers your load is relatively low pressure and perfect for that old girl. Absolutely no need for anything hotter so have fun!

If you want to tune for accuracy I would Start there and only go lower.

Interesting on swaging the rim to add to headspace. First time I heard of that.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for the info. I've got 20 Bertram cases and 370g flat nose bullets sitting on the back burner for maybe a decade. Just never got around to doing anything with a South American, shortened 71/84 "carbine" with a perfect bore. I think it was supposedly Columbian police issue maybe? That's probably just importer make believe bologna. I like to buy bologna sandwiches, mustard, no mayo.
    Considering using Buffalo Rifle (D060) with 45/70 starting data.
    Thanks for the nudge to check the back of the cabinets.

Good for you! I've never fired mine, to my everlasting shame. It also has a mint bore, but somebody sanded the heck out of the wood, so it's not the collector gun it should be.
    Cognitive Dissident