Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New heated luber mounts and press mount

New heated luber mounts and press mount

I switched to BAC lube which requires some heat in order to flow well. I also didn't want the lubers overhanging the edge of the bench because then the drawers couldn't be opened up.

So I fired up the plasma cutter and made mounts for the lubers. A 100 watt light bulb fits inside and brings the base of the luber up to 100 degrees in 20 min., which is enough to get it flowing. Sizing with it still plugged in for 40 min and the base of the luber body is 114 degrees.

I also made a new mount for the Dillion and a set of shelves for all the boolits which are mighty heavy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0010.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	325656Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0011.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	325657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0012.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	325658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0013.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	325659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0014.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	325660

Boolit Master
    Great stuff there!

I built my own heater base and fitted it with a couple of magnetic engine heater units. I am pleasantly surprised that a 100 watt light bulb can heat that well.

I like your use of rebar for your shelving frame work.

Thanks for sharing!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

That's a great project.
    However:
    I do have concerns about the clean and open surfaces on your bench.
    I'm not sure if it's a violation of Man Law, but I do know Nature hates a vacuum and tries to fill it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Great stuff there!

I built my own heater base and fitted it with a couple of magnetic engine heater units. I am pleasantly surprised that a 100 watt light bulb can heat that well.

Thanks for sharing!

Three44s
    An incandescent light built in reality is a heat source with light as a by product. 100 watts is a lot for something as small as that cube which is roughly 6 x 6 x 7". I will also make a back plate that will just lean in place with a notch for the cord to totally box it in making it heat up even faster. Using light bulbs, output can easily be changed by just going to a lower wattage. BTW, I stocked up on light bulbs before the environmental whackos made them come off the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Great stuff there!

Thanks for sharing!

Three44s
    Thanks for the kind words.

As I get older, the only way to find things is to PUT THEM AWAY.

I really don't like clutter. The rebar shelving is going to work out well. Before I had bins in a repurposed kitchen cabinets. But you had to get on your hands and knees to find what you needed and the bins are heavy and I would end up not getting spent brass put back where it should be and end up with general chaos.

As far as rebar goes, it is the only steel you can buy that is relatively inexpensive. Plus I have an apple customer who is the foreman of a large construction company. I trade him apples for steel that goes in the dumpster. Any rebar that is cut is considered scrap and they throw it. I made a LOT of stuff out of rebar. BTW, that shelf weighs 65#s.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0002.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	325677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0001.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	325678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0007.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	325679

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Man View Post
    I switched to BAC lube which requires some heat in order to flow well. I also didn't want the lubers overhanging the edge of the bench because then the drawers couldn't be opened up.

So I fired up the plasma cutter and made mounts for the lubers. A 100 watt light bulb fits inside and brings the base of the luber up to 100 degrees in 20 min., which is enough to get it flowing. Sizing with it still plugged in for 40 min and the base of the luber body is 114 degrees.

I also made a new mount for the Dillion and a set of shelves for all the boolits which are mighty heavy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0010.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	325656Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0011.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	325657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0012.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	325658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0013.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	325659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0014.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	325660
    You are, indeed, both a master craftsman and artist! If not presently, I'm SURE you can earn a substantial (2nd?) income from making and selling similar!!! (Put me on your waiting list ). My only "change" would be to put a "shield" -- perhaps a simple bent piece of metal -- in front of and atop your incandescent bulb. Also -- generally available in the "contractor-only" section of Home Depot are "rough service" bulbs. A spatter of anything, or even a wee impact -- might literally blow up your bulb if so impacted -- been there/done that. The "rough service" bulbs are MORE than worth the extra dollar one pays for them -- again, in my opinion.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    From its location, that looks like a light of some kind behind your 550. If so, can you tell us what sort it is and where'd you find it.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    You are, indeed, both a master craftsman and artist! If not presently, I'm SURE you can earn a substantial (2nd?) income from making and selling similar!!! (Put me on your waiting list ). My only "change" would be to put a "shield" -- perhaps a simple bent piece of metal -- in front of and atop your incandescent bulb. Also -- generally available in the "contractor-only" section of Home Depot are "rough service" bulbs. A spatter of anything, or even a wee impact -- might literally blow up your bulb if so impacted -- been there/done that. The "rough service" bulbs are MORE than worth the extra dollar one pays for them -- again, in my opinion.
    geo
    I left the light bulb where you guys could see it. It goes inside the luber mount, this give you a better idea.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0005.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	325693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0004.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	325694

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    From its location, that looks like a light of some kind behind your 550. If so, can you tell us what sort it is and where'd you find it.
    I just put another 10,000 lumen light over the bench along with two 16,500 lumen 5,000K LED lights in the loading room. I really don't need the light on the 550 now, but this light from Harbor Freight is rechargeable and works very well for seeing what is going on with the loader.

The portable light is $18 right now:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lu..._q=braun+light

Boolit Master
    I use incandescent bulbs in a few pump houses to keep them from freezing in the winter. This past winter they were near impossible to find. 4 100 watt bulbs cost $20 at the appliance parts store. That's the only ones I found.

I use a 100 watt cartridge heater for my PID setup in the lubesizers.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I use incandescent bulbs in a few pump houses to keep them from freezing in the winter. This past winter they were near impossible to find. 4 100 watt bulbs cost $20 at the appliance parts store. That's the only ones I found.

I use a 100 watt cartridge heater for my PID setup in the lubesizers.
    I bought a bunch of incandescent when they were being phased out. I got enough for the last of my days. My wife thought I was nuts.

Boolit Master
    I'm sure they were a 4 pack for a buck. Fortunately I wasn't the end payer for the $5 each bulbs. I ended up buying a milkhouse heater for the pump house with the filter, pH and pump control/well tank. Glad I didn't have to pay the light bill there.

Boolit Master
    I can vouch for how a simple light bulb's efficiency at heating a wellhouse. I have a wellhouse in my yard that is maybe 5ft x 5ft and 3 or 4 feet tall. I use two 60 or 70 watt bulbs in it during the Winter and it keeps it nice and warm. I made the top hinge open for maintenance sort of like a modern car hood with the prop rod to hold it open. If you open it up on a cold night, you can feel the heat flow out from just those two bulbs. Like you guys, I bought several of the bulk case packs of incandescent bulbs when they were phasing them out. I have no doubt this would heat a lubrisizer perfectly. I like the idea!

I just looked it up. A 100 watt light bulb turns 98% of the energy into heat. The 2% light is a byproduct.