MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 1894 45 Colt

Boolit Grand Master

Cajun is right. I've had blow back in my .44MAG SBH and smokeless, none in my 44-40's and black. My 44-40's are all Uberti.

Welcome back, Joe. Missed ya!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    It's all a matter of pressure... The 45 Colt is a low pressure cartridge compared to 357 and 44 Magnum.

My CAS loads in 357 and 44 Magnum soot the case mouths less than my 45 Colt loads do at the same velocity 850 fps - 900 fps as the magnum pressures are 20K - 21K psi and 45 Colt pressure is 14,700. Increase the pressure in the 45 Colt to the 20K level and they are the same.

I use Remington cases for my low pressure loads because they are softer and seal better. Winchester cases are my prefered cases for high pressure loads. Starline cases are good and I use lots of them but Winchester cases are still my favorite. I haven't used many Federal cases in the past but for tough service in my M1A and 45 Autos my Federal cases are doing great.

Boomer
    Group Buy Honcho for 311440Mod, 312190-FNGC, 379230-GC, 380200-GC, 381268-PB, 360180-GC, 360180-PB, 413640-PB, 434330-GC, 434640-PB, 434640-GC, 454640-PB, 462420-PB, 462420-GC, 462420-PB Re-Run, 462420-GC Re-Run, 462640-PB, and 462640-GC Group Buys.

Lever Guns are my Passion!
    SASS Life 37141
    IHMSA 33587

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kooz View Post
    Well here's my 2 cents for what its worth. I have two Winchester 94AE trappers in .45 Colt and the chambers don't seem any bigger than the chamber s on the 5 Marlin .45 Cowboys that I have previously owned. I was never happy with the Marlins and had issues with the one I bought. Marlin ended up sending me 5 different guns before it was all over, and I finally refused shipment of the 6th one and got a refund. Take a bore light with you and look the bore over real good, all the ones they sent me looked like the rifling was cut with a bastard file. Maybe this was just my luck, I don't know. If it were me I'd be looking for a Winchester. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by kooz View Post
    Yea, I don't know what the deal was with the .45 Marlins. I have had other Marlin levers in the past that were great guns and made very well. I guess it was just a bad run of luck.
    My experience also. I bought the Marlin 20" octagon barrel Cowboy 45 Colt. The bore slug measured .450" and looked like it was hacked out with a chisel (I have a 25X bore scope). I sent it back to Marlin and it took 2 months for them to even look at it. They sent a letter, finally, that said nothing wrong with it and if I want a new barrel it would cost $177.00. Well it sure needs a new barrel so I sent them the money about three weeks ago. After that I was looking at a brand new Marlin Model 95 stainless in 45-70 in the gun store and just had to have it. I started the paper work and got to thinking . . . Hhmmm, I have one rifle at Marlin right now for a new barrel and I have the bore scope out in the trunk, I wonder what this bore looks like? Egad's, it's worse than the one I sent back. I stopped the paper work and told the guy sorry, I don't want it. They also had a new blued model 95 45-70 so I put the bore scope in that one and was just shocked, it was easily the worst bore (if you could even call it a bore) that I have ever seen.

I have no idea what's going on at Marlin but after looking at three really bad Marlin bores in a row (one of them mine) I have very little confidence in what I will get back from Marlin. Time will tell I guess.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    My experience also. I bought the Marlin 20" octagon barrel Cowboy 45 Colt. The bore slug measured .450" and looked like it was hacked out with a chisel (I have a 25X bore scope). I sent it back to Marlin and it took 2 months for them to even look at it. They sent a letter, finally, that said nothing wrong with it and if I want a new barrel it would cost $177.00. Well it sure needs a new barrel so I sent them the money about three weeks ago. After that I was looking at a brand new Marlin Model 95 stainless in 45-70 in the gun store and just had to have it. I started the paper work and got to thinking . . . Hhmmm, I have one rifle at Marlin right now for a new barrel and I have the bore scope out in the trunk, I wonder what this bore looks like? Egad's, it's worse than the one I sent back. I stopped the paper work and told the guy sorry, I don't want it. They also had a new blued model 95 45-70 so I put the bore scope in that one and was just shocked, it was easily the worst bore (if you could even call it a bore) that I have ever seen.

I have no idea what's going on at Marlin but after looking at three really bad Marlin bores in a row (one of them mine) I have very little confidence in what I will get back from Marlin. Time will tell I guess.

Rick
    I must have hit it lucky. I don't have a bore scope, but with the naked eye my bore looks just great and running a tight patch through it feels very smooth and even. Like I said I have probably the first series of these and with the 24 inch barrel. I've never had any leading issue what so ever with it. Shoots great and cases don't come out black on the sides. Must have been made on a Wednesday.

Joe

Slinger-don't get discouraged
    I have a marlin 1894cb45 (the 24" competition one) and it does give about 3/4 inch soot spot on the case on the ejection port side with a load of 8.0-8.5 grns unique (wonder why it smokes????) but the accuracy is outstanding. Went and bought ladder sight for long range work and I can really make it sing (still trying to lower the front ramp and knock it straight (windage))
    Sometimes I still see the 24" models around. Maybe this is the difference.

you might want to try some power pistol.Shoots into a inch at 50 in my 24 inch CB and very clean.I use a 305 grain PB boollit from Mtn Molds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12