RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: LE Head Space Gauges

Boolit Mold

LE Head Space Gauges

Beat to death in other places is 303 British Head Space Gauges VS SAAMI.

It would seem the general consensus was, when shooting old LE - ArrowMark was the go to gauge company, but they have not been available for a long while.

Is there a current "best" recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Buddy
    Read up on the British specs for 303 British head space, the SAAMI specs are tight which is why just about all US made 303 brass has rims that are to thin and create head space issues, ppu makes brass with the correct thickness of rims.. there is a way to measure the head space with a peace of brass and a spent primer.

Boolit Master

Having never used headspace gauges, I use the o-ring trick to set headspace right away, even using factory rounds on the first firing. As you stated in your other post, keep that brass with that rifle, as it is now 'fireformed' to that rifle. Happy shooting!
    Last edited by Bloodman14; 04-21-2024 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

I use some Forster gauges that I bought from Brownell's back in the early '80s.

DG

Boolit Mold
    I ordered a set of Tectal .303 button gauges, Go Field and NoGo they are really fast and easy to use and outstanding quality. Shipped from Austria took about two weeks or so if I remember correctly. I think it was less than $100 US dollars. As I have quite a few LE's and my friends do also, I felt this was worth the investment.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dhe View Post
    Beat to death in other places is 303 British Head Space Gauges VS SAAMI.

It would seem the general consensus was, when shooting old LE - ArrowMark was the go to gauge company, but they have not been available for a long while.

Is there a current "best" recommendation?
    Can't help you with info on recommended gauges; I have a set I was given by a Canadian gun plumber, but I've never even used them. Can't recall any markings that are on them as far as who made them.

With the Lee Enfield, unless the rifle has been badly abused, I fit the cases to the rifle's chamber, versus measuring headspace. I go with forming a false shoulder and then gradually resizing until the case chambers with just a crush fit. Having done that, the case is supported at the shoulder at the front of the chamber and by the bolt face at the rear. They're essentially fire-formed before they're ever fired, pretty much. Combine that with regular annealing and .303 British brass will have the lifespan of pretty much any other caliber.

As far as headspace goes, The Brit's 1929 Textbook of Small Arms specifies rim thickness as being between a low of .058" and a high of .064". You can compare that to what SAAMI and CIP call for today.

I had some idle time on my hands years ago and compared various WWII/Korea cases and Greek HXP cases to the commercial cases available today. PPU is essentially an identical twin to the cases of Commonwealth Mk VII ball ammo during the war years and afterwards. It's easy to find and I use it exclusively in my Lee Enfields

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_.00.HH.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	325718

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_.00.HH1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	325719