RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Looking for a new BP boolit chucker

Boolit Master

Looking for a new BP boolit chucker

Recently I've been heavily interested in Cap and Ball revolvers, but they have their limitations. It would be nice to have a dedicated black powder cartridge gun so I started looking at Colts and they are darn expensive as you already know.

From what I gather, the EMF Pietta Great Western 2 line of guns is the closest thing to a Colt while still being affordable. I can't pay 2K for an STD gun. So, that's my first option.

Option number two would be to get a conversion cylinder for my 1857 Remington. It's slower to load and unload but that's not a big deal. The appeal of a metallic cartridge to me would be the added reliability and waterproofing.

3rd option would be to get a 38 S&W top break. It would be a new caliber so I'd need to buy dies and brass, but these little things are cool and not crazy expensive for an original.

What do you guys recommend?

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I wouldn't part with my Taylor's CCC and my 1858 44 for any reason. Just TOO much fun!
    I keep thinking I'm going to get an 1858 in 36 cal...
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Pietta makes a 36 cal Remington. I have one and it's great. Lots of room for powder in the chambers. Stuffed with 777 and a round ball I get over 1200fps.

Boolit Mold
    Krist makes nice conversions cylinders for cap and ball, and they have one version with a loading gate option. You have to "cut" the feed channel in the right side of the frame, or they will do it for a reasonable fee. That option has grown on me, and you can find decent used C&B shooters on many of the auction sites, just take you time and know the brand and markings to get what you want. Some deals still exist with patience.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd consider a Ruger Old Army and get a conversion cylinder from Howell. Best of both worlds at a reasonable cost. Your choice of stainless or blued.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are thinking of a .36 C&B conversion be aware that the conversion cylinders are typically .38 Special. Bullet diameter for .38 SPL is .358 and bore diameter for .36 C&B is .375. Options are to shoot hollow base wadcutters in .38 SPL or have the barrel modified to .358 bore. There are some conversions already done (I believe Taylors makes some) that are .38 SPL all the way. Otherwise, get a .38 SPL cylinder and rechamber to .38 Colt. With .45 Colt it's just a cylinder change with a Howell type conversion or with the Kirst a bit more machining. I'm partial to the 1858 Remington designs. Taylor or Cimarron makes a 1875 Remington clone that is ready to go. I've done several conversions for movie work and they tend to work well although some tinkering may be necessary, particularly with the Kirst conversions to the Richards style.
    Last edited by 36g; 04-14-2024 at 08:54 PM.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    My thinking, as well. Just happen to have swaging dies for turning a 158gr Keith into a .361" hollow-base critter. Works swell in my Webley.
    And it would be simple enough to rechamber the Taylor cylinder. Early in the game, Taylor's made the 36 cal conversion in 38 Colt. I suppose that caliber didn't catch on quite as well as the 38 Special.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    Recently I've been heavily interested in Cap and Ball revolvers, but they have their limitations. It would be nice to have a dedicated black powder cartridge gun so I started looking at Colts and they are darn expensive as you already know.

From what I gather, the EMF Pietta Great Western 2 line of guns is the closest thing to a Colt while still being affordable. I can't pay 2K for an STD gun. So, that's my first option.

Option number two would be to get a conversion cylinder for my 1857 Remington. It's slower to load and unload but that's not a big deal. The appeal of a metallic cartridge to me would be the added reliability and waterproofing.

3rd option would be to get a 38 S&W top break. It would be a new caliber so I'd need to buy dies and brass, but these little things are cool and not crazy expensive for an original.

What do you guys recommend?
    I say get an antique 38 S&W. If you are shooting black powder you can pick any number if different makes and models, don't limit yourself to top breaks and maybe go with a single action or even spur trigger. You can find one for under $200 easily.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Why not a Ruger Vaquero. You can shoot BP in it, and it looks the part. You should be able to pick one up used for a reasonable price.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Why not a Ruger Vaquero. You can shoot BP in it, and it looks the part. You should be able to pick one up used for a reasonable price.
    THIS!

I have stainless New Vaqueros in 38/357. Also blued Original Vaqueros in 45 Colt. Built like tanks. Load ‘em up and chootem!

Lotsa fun and can also use smokeless. What’s not to like.
    Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I have a few Vaqueros along with a Blackhawk and Redhawk. They are great for strength but mine aren't very authentic. They are also a bit more of a hassle to take down all the way. When I shoot BP loads I like to strip everything for a thorough cleaning.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I say get an antique 38 S&W. If you are shooting black powder you can pick any number if different makes and models, don't limit yourself to top breaks and maybe go with a single action or even spur trigger. You can find one for under $200 easily.

Tim
    I'm not too familiar with the other brands. What type should I avoid, or should I just buy the cheapest thing I can find?

Boolit Buddy
    Here are a couple of conversions of 1858 Remingtons using Kirst/Richards style design. These were in .44 C&B then .45 Colt. These were done for Sam Worthington's use in The Last Son movie.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LeMay's Revolvers, resized.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	325775

Boolit Master
    U.S. Revolver, Iver Johnson, H&R or even Colt New Line or Remington Smoot. The Colts or Remingtons are kind of pricey like the S&W but carry top names the others are less prestigious but are fine if in good function. Function is the key, they must be in proper timing even the top names can be in improper functioning/timing. You want a gun that is tight and proper functioning. Solid frame is more likely to be tight.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

My latest Boolit Slinger is my Taylor 56-50 Spencer carbine. If only I can locate some brass in stock.