Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebarrel Savage Striker Question

Boolit Master

Rebarrel Savage Striker Question

Where would our group recommend one Source a Stainless Barrel for a Super Striker?

Mine is in 22-250 cal...and I do Not use it all that much in that Caliber... Thinking maybe 250-3000, or better, 300 Savage... and a Bit shorter...which I can accomplish..
    I am relatively Confident that a 308 barrel would be Readily Available... Unfortunately...Not what I really want!!
    This will be basically a Cast Only arm... so maybe can learn to live with 308 ...Maybe, Unless there is something out there I do Not know about??

What is the Opinion of the Group Please...No Don't Hold Back...
    Thanks

Boolit Master

IIRC, the Striker was based on the Savage 110 action so it likely that a any 110 barrel could be shortened and turned down to a Striker profile. Or, you could send the gun to JES and have the 22-250 tube rebored to 300 Savage.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Oh yes...any 110 type barrel will work.. my problem is more about the Caliber I want.. Even a 7-08 is a bit much for "Fun"
    Maybe should off the thing...and get more Contender Barrels!!! The darn thing is just so Darn Cool!!!! I mostly was attracted to it by the thumbhole Stock!!!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Where would our group recommend one Source a Stainless Barrel for a Super Striker?

Mine is in 22-250 cal...and I do Not use it all that much in that Caliber... Thinking maybe 250-3000, or better, 300 Savage... and a Bit shorter...which I can accomplish..
    I am relatively Confident that a 308 barrel would be Readily Available... Unfortunately...Not what I really want!!
    This will be basically a Cast Only arm... so maybe can learn to live with 308 ...Maybe, Unless there is something out there I do Not know about??

What is the Opinion of the Group Please...No Don't Hold Back...
    Thanks
    Not of the "group" -- but just "me" -- the Savage Striker is , imho, kind of a rare duck -- along with, say, Ithaca's "X-Caliber" handguns. If I recall not that many were produced between 1999 and 2005, using one of their rifle's actions. Offered in blue and stainless steel, many -- including me -- bought one as much for the "investment" as well as joy of owning and shooting purpose. I believe I gave about $280.00 for mine -- in .22-250 -- back in 2000. At a recent (last fall) gun show I was "blown away" to see one just like mine -- stainless, in .22-250 -- with a price tag of $2,249.00 on it! Wowsers!
    "Not holding back", as you asked -- if it were me I'd sell the Striker I have for, say, two grand even -- and then buy what you wish in the calibre you desire.
    Just a thought. Note, the Striker was still on table when I left the show -- so perhaps dealer's price was inflated? But, too, it was -- albeit looking pristine -- offered on a light blue tag -- meaning "used/pre-owned" -- without its original box or papers...

Boolit Master
    @ georgerkahn
    Wowser...I had no idea the worth... Maybe I should just leave well enough alone...unmolested!!!! Puts me on the Look for a 30Cal Contender barrel...which aint all Bad...as I like the 357 Herrett, I have...so May enjoy a 30 Herrett...which are one of the least expensive Contender options just now!!!
    Still If I come across a Barrel I really want, for that Striker...I don't see what it will hurt value, to switch barrels back and forth!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think there is much of a difference between the 300 savage and a 7mm-08 energy/velocity wise. But I would be tempted more by the 7mm-08 just because I love my 7x30 contender barrel. The savage is a stronger action so use it. I don't see the point in getting one chambered with a round that can be used in a Contender.

Boolit Master
    @ Delkal
    Point Taken...you are correct...and...I am sure the Striker was offered in 7-08...so maybe can find a Barrel originally intended for the darn thing!!!
    I am just havin alot of Fun with the 300 Savage... But, I can build another Orphaned Mauser for Lots less $$$

Boolit Buddy
    From what I heard it is relatively easy to swap a Savage barrel and all you need is a special wrench and some headspace gauges. Since headspace is set depending on how far you screw in the barrel you shouldn't need to have a new barrel specifically chambered to your action. As long as you don't modify the bolt you would not devalue the pistol since all you would need to do was put the original barrel back on.

So, like a contender, why stop with just one barrel.

Boolit Master
    @Delkal
    Exactly... Maybe I start with a WTB here on Forum.... Prolly for me 308 is more versatile than 7-08..
    Edit; I will probably headspace with a Fired 308 from my Mauser...that way the brass should interchange with neck size only...which I prefer!!! Not any kind of recommendation for anyone else...Just me Musing!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Not recommended but people have headspaced on a new cartridge and a piece of scotch tape on the base. I think all of the simply necked up and down 308 cartridges have the same headspace so do it right. With one set of gauges you should be able to do 308, 7mm-08, 243, and 260 Remington (and probably some others). Those should keep you busy for a while.

Boolit Grand Master
    If the 308 length cartridges are more recoil than you want to enjoy on a regular basis, you could go with one of the BR series. Basically a small primer pocket .308 case that is ~1.5" long.

I have a Savage 110 that I rebuilt into a .30BR, 17" twist. With an weight of about ten pounds it is not quite recoilless, but it is easier to shoot than a .308 of the same weight.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    @ georgerkahn
    Wowser...I had no idea the worth... Maybe I should just leave well enough alone...unmolested!!!! Puts me on the Look for a 30Cal Contender barrel...which aint all Bad...as I like the 357 Herrett, I have...so May enjoy a 30 Herrett...which are one of the least expensive Contender options just now!!!
    Still If I come across a Barrel I really want, for that Striker...I don't see what it will hurt value, to switch barrels back and forth!!!
    A good friend, now deceased, had a couple of dozen handguns in several different calibres. Over the years he traded/sold off all except his 1911 .45 and Model 41 S&W .22 for competition -- instead having but one Thompson Center Contender -- and God only knew how many different barrels -- even in some cases, two barrels of same calibre but in different lengths! We swore by his T/C, and his allllmost one-hole in target after several shots proved their accuracy potential.
    You came up with a brilliant way to go, imho, that you already have a Contender -- to just pick up a barrel for it in the calibre you desire! As a btw, by happenstance yesterday afternoon I chanced into the owner of a nearby gun shop (at Wal*Mart -- we were both picking up RXs) -- and asked what Strikers are going for now? He replied he does not exactly know, but one "might be hard-pressed to get one for less than a grand," adding as I had suggested, they've kind of become collector items -- like the S&W Model 696 .44 Special -- a very few out there, being relatively both hard to find and very much desired.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Mk42gunner
    Interesting proposition...except..would need an Unchambered, or custom barrel!! Cost is creaping up!! vs factory take-off!

georgerkahn
    I appreciate that Update...I had No Idea, that that Savage was Appreciating at such a Rate!!
    Been owning at least One Contender since I was still in the Canoe Club.. fist one in maybe 78?? And That First one...was a 10" Octagon 30-30...which I disliked...Until I got an Octagon 10" 44 Magnum...Bad JuJu

Edit; Both of those Been Gone for a Long Time.. But...Barrels are readily available!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah cost creep is a thing.

The only reason I built that rifle is I bought the barrel at an estate auction for $30. It fit a Savage and they used to be cheap. Of course when I went looking for a Savage 110, they were no where to be found.

Robert

I have a 7 08 Striker that camewith the factory open/close brake which gave it only 12 " of barrel , I didn't like but like the 7-08 . So I bought a ER Shaw 26" barrel , cut it down to 14 3/4" . The kit came with barrel wrench and head space gauges . I can say that Shaw barrel shoots , 160 Lyman Sil Boolit over 30gr of 3031 under 1" at 100yds . With 140 Sierras that thing will hammer Whitetails . That is a option , but they still don't have a good of a trigger as an XP . I sold the take off barrel , bullet lube froze that thing up tight . The buyer was aware of it , and was priced according.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall623 View Post
    I have a 7 08 Striker that camewith the factory open/close brake which gave it only 12 " of barrel , I didn't like but like the 7-08 . So I bought a ER Shaw 26" barrel , cut it down to 14 3/4" . The kit came with barrel wrench and head space gauges . I can say that Shaw barrel shoots , 160 Lyman Sil Boolit over 30gr of 3031 under 1" at 100yds . With 140 Sierras that thing will hammer Whitetails . That is a option , but they still don't have a good of a trigger as an XP . I sold the take off barrel , bullet lube froze that thing up tight . The buyer was aware of it , and was priced according.

Never heard nuthin like that...Please Elaborate...

Racepres
    When I got the gun it had the Savage on off muzzle brake . Turn it one direction and the ports are open / back and they are shut . Open did very little to help recoil and only made it what seems like twice as loud . I started shooting cast in it with the brake shut and after 1 session it wouldn't even move . I tried heat , solvents, gas , Kroil . I really wanted a little longer barrel , so I bought the shaw kit .

Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall623 View Post
    Racepres
    When I got the gun it had the Savage on off muzzle brake . Turn it one direction and the ports are open / back and they are shut . Open did very little to help recoil and only made it what seems like twice as loud . I started shooting cast in it with the brake shut and after 1 session it wouldn't even move . I tried heat , solvents, gas , Kroil . I really wanted a little longer barrel , so I bought the shaw kit .

Oh My...Glad I decided No Brake, no Ports, Just a nice fluted barrel..

Here it is with the Shaw barrel . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240413_122012.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	325682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240413_122041.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	325683

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Is the Striker built on a regular rifle action? If so, I would get an SBR stamp or a 16" barrel and then be able to use it as a rifle or pistol.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast