Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38spl brass

Boolit Master

After many years of using vibratory tumblers and a mixture of walnut or crushed corn cobs media and Car-Nu or other car waxes. I first bought a Frankfort arsenal wet tumbler and it leaked pretty badly. I sent it back and got a refund. I then bought a Thumblers Tumbler. Boy what a difference it made. A few hours in it with Dawn, car wax and SS pins and the brass comes out bright and shiny, inside and out; even the primer pocket. I use an old jerky drying unit to dry the brass. my experience anyway, james

Quote Originally Posted by max it View Post
    I traded off my vibrator. Now I am waiting for Father's Day; my youngest promised me a Frankfort Arsenal wet machine.
    Meanwhile I need to wash/clean a few hundred .38, .45. 9mm ? so I was thinking I would wash them in a bucket with some Dawn and Rinse Agent from the dishwasher. Will it work?
    Much obliged, Max
    I just use regular dawn dish soap and stainless pins in my wet tumbler with great success. I’m not sure how dishwasher soap would work out.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    My guess is that there was some dirt in your brass somewhere. I had that happen with some 44 AutoMag brass several years back. I changed out the media and the problem went away.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the brass, it just has a light frosted surface is all.
    The second batch of this same brass came out great after I changed the media.

I was more concerned with the integrity of the brass than the actual finish. I was thinking that maybe I had tumbled too long or caused a problem that would make it weaker. Just wanted to ask more experienced people before I blew up my rifle.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    EyeRon, that brass is toast! Send it to me and I will give it a decent burial!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    I was more concerned with the integrity of the brass than the actual finish. I was thinking that maybe I had tumbled too long or caused a problem that would make it weaker. Just wanted to ask more experienced people before I blew up my rifle.
    That is a valid concern. Since nobody wants you to shoot your eye out---
    When in doubt: Ya probably should send your problem children to one of us older guys for proper disposal.

Once upon a time, I was wondering about polishing a case too much and thinning it out.
    I had some odd ball case like a .338Wheatherby I picked up somewhere.
    I left it in the tumbler and ran it with every batch for a couple years. It sure looked pretty.
    If it had thinned out enough to matter, I wasn't smart enough to be able to tell.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

If you want shinny brass that looks new factory go to a stainless steel pin tumbler and mix in a couple drops of Dawn dish wash soap and a teaspoon of powdered citric acid and 2/3 rds full of water in the drum. Tumble for a couple of hours. Ahhhhhhh! Its a thing of beauty. Ditched my vibrators a couple of years ago. The Franklin Arsenal tumblers are reasonable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12