Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky Grips

Boolit Master

Sticky Grips

I picked up a Taurus model 82 in 38 Spl and the factory grips are very sticky. I tried various cleaning products and none helped. I’d like to replace them but selection choices are few to none. Hogue offers some, but I’m not a fan of their product. Any ideas on replacements?

Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master
    Whittle your own? This may or may not take more than one try.

I have to say that I have never been 100% satisfied with my own home made grips. Maybe because I knw where the oopsies are.

Robert

Boolit Mold
    I believe the grips on it now are from Hogue. Perhaps some solvent got on the grips at one time or another and is breaking down the rubber compound. I have used Hogue grips on different pistols, and even have one of their over molded rifle stocks and have never had an issue with any of them.

Boolit Master

As much as I’d love to whittle my own grips, I don’t think my arthritic hands are up to the task.

The factory grips did have a residue on their insides that was very gummy. None was on the outside, but they were/are very sticky. Nothing I tried helped this.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I picked up a Taurus model 82 in 38 Spl and the factory grips are very sticky. I tried various cleaning products and none helped...
    ...nothing to lose, therefore, before thrash them definitively, I would rub them with white petroleum = lamp oil.
    if fails, I would try spraying them with dashboard silicone, next dabbing the excess with a rag or kitchen paper_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

Dont whittle them with a knife use a rotary tool and burrs. Much easier on your hands. Once you got the holes in to work from you could rough them in with a 4" grinder and sanding discs. you do need a good eye and its messy.

The other is to use your grips to make a silicon mould and pour them from poly urethane or other material.

You might try Herrets. They will do fitted grips from a hand tracing.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve been told that spraying lightly with WD40 then immediately wiping with a rag will remove the stickiness. Never tried it though.

Boolit Mold
    I bet they might have been wrapped with something like hockey tape or other rough grippy tape.

if the problem concerns the interior only, and cannot be solved otherwise, a sheet of baking aluminum applied to the internal rubber faces will remain stuck, and can be appropriately cut_
    spraying the same internal faces with talcum powder, or any other fine powder as graphite, etc., can also work against the stickiness_
    Rob

Boolit Mold
    Have you tried using a product called "Goof-off"? WE use it to get residue off of many items in our home, I believe I have also used it on sticky rubber. You should be able to find it at Wally World and other such stores.

Boolit Master
    Huh?? All Of the New Hogue grips I have encountered, are fairly smooth...More so than Pachmyer's..
    Hogue grips are Not expensive, buy New and sell the poor ones on that auction site..

Mix some baking soda and water to make a thin paste and use a soft cloth to scrub the grips. Then wipe them down with a damp cloth. I used this on a spotting scope that had a rubberized coating that had become sticky. I don't remember where I found this tip, but it worked great.

...forgive my ingenuity: the main problem it's the excessive/sticky grip on your hand
    or the gummy residues inside ?
    Rob

Moderator Emeritus

I prefer wood grips.
    I've ordered 3 sets for revolvers from a ebay seller from Thailand. Price is right, fit has been excellent, I like the exotic orange Padauk wood, but shipping takes 3 weeks. They use to just have S&W grips, but as the years have gone by, they'd added all kinds of offerings. The last set I bought was Dan Wesson. I see they have some for Taurus grips now. If I had a Model 82, I'd probably order these grips. search seller name: monticha2014, for the grips shown below, but there are other Thailand sellers and other styles.

“Fit for New Frame (1980s) of models 44, 80, 82, 83, 96, 431, 441, 607, 608, 669, 689.”
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2024APR10 Taurus grips mod 82.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	325618
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I prefer wood grips.
    I've ordered 3 sets for revolvers from a ebay seller from Thailand. Price is right, fit has been excellent, I like the exotic orange Padauk wood, but shipping takes 3 weeks. They use to just have S&W grips, but as the years have gone by, they'd added all kinds of offerings. The last set I bought was Dan Wesson. I see they have some for Taurus grips now. If I had a Model 82, I'd probably order these grips. search seller name: monticha2014, for the grips shown below, but there are other Thailand sellers and other styles.

“Fit for New Frame (1980s) of models 44, 80, 82, 83, 96, 431, 441, 607, 608, 669, 689.”

Name:	2024APR10 Taurus grips mod 82.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	325618
    Those look familiar from back in the day.

Boolit Master

Great ideas guys. I’ll give them a try. My main concern is the outside being sticky . I cleaned all the inside off ( it’s still gummy though ).

I saw those wood grips, but hesitated due to them coming from overseas. Will take another look at them. Another thought… I’ve only got $260 invested in this gun and would like to refrain from spending another $100+ on grips.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

I found a set of grips on Amazon at at fair price. Should arrive in 6-7 days. Much quicker than Thailand!

Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Those look nice, even have the Taurus emblem on them. Make sure to let us know how they work out after you get them (with photos of course).

Moderator Emeritus

Those amazon grips look nice.
    Also, I understand the hesitancy of ordering from Thailand. I pondered making the first order many months, then finally took a leap of faith to order. What swung it for me, was them having some conversion grips. I had a N-frame Rd Butt, that I really wanted to be a Sq Butt. I was so very happy with the end result. The only other option for that, was from Altamont, and I didn't like their offerings.

Name:	4 moon clip I Jul2021 550px.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	325621

Name:	2 comparison Jul2021 550px.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	325622
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

If goop off doesn't work, try a golf grip adhesive remover. I have found that goop off still leaves a bit if residue and I happened to still have a very old can of grip adhesive remover. Worked great for me. Good luck.
    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast