Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Borescope recommendation

Boolit Grand Master

Borescope recommendation

I have been reading about barrel cleaning and have decided to invest in a borescope.

Some of the older threads mention the Teslong units and I found this on Amazon. It is very affordable and has decent reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Bores...zcF9idGY&psc=1

The same company offer this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Bores...b_title_sports

Are there better ones out there?

It will be used to inspect .22 chambers/barrels and to check my .38/.357 carbines for the "carbon ring". One of my projects is to work up some critter control loads for the carbines using .38 Spl brass loaded to +P+ levels.

Yesterday I ordered the Bore Tech products to address the cleaning of these problem areas.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have used a Hawkeye bore scope,, (borrowed) before many others were available. I also invested in a different brand of one that has never taken off,, and the computer software stuff was beyond my abilities & isn't as easy to use.
    I later invested in a Lyman one,, and have found it to be easy to use, inexpensive as compared to the Hawkeye, and worth the money in my opinion.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use the $15 ones off Ebay, they work fine for most people. They are handy to stick in the pocket to take to gun shows.
    I was surprised last summer to let a couple other gun builders and a prospective buyer of a rifle use one, and all declared a barrel excellent.
    I looked at it, and then explained to them what they DIDN'T see. The barrel was frosted from end to end, and had chatter on the lands. Unless you have been trained on inspecting barrels, you probably don't learn much from a close look. I was amazed the gun builders couldn't see that.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

jmho - unless you are a custom rifle builder or barrel manufacturer, borescopes are a waste of money + cause more problems than they prevent -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

I have both the Teslong and a Hawkeye. I did have a Lyman also. The Hawkeye is the best. The Teslong is great for the money and is my recommendation. The Lyman worked well but the Teslong was less money and I like it slightly better.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I have one with the 26 inch ridged rod. I also bought a set of different size mirrors for $20. Plugs right into my laptop. You can buy it with mirrors for $10 more, worth it in my opinion. Maybe not high end but it works for me.

I am not a gunsmith but enjoy owning it and have learned a few things. Waksupi is right there is a learning curve. I do know that I have looked at bores that looked shiny but after inspection with a bore scope I learned different. Been pleasantly surprised also. And yes you might see things you can't unsee but that's happened before.

A good friend had a 270 Win that accuracy had fallen off noticeably. We looked it over and found some throat checking and a lot of carbon in the rough area. After a through cleaning the carbon was gone and accuracy was close to normal. It has been his hunting rifle for 43 years, decided that at his age it was more than good enough to outlast him.

I bought 2 of the Lymans and the first time the mirror gets dirty and you clean it, you'll never get another clear picture. Yes, I used the cleaning kit that came with it.

I bought 1 of the Teslongs and have had no problems. Least expensive too at about $60.

Boolit Buddy
    I saw a used Hawkeye with 90 degree eyepiece for sale recently for $550. That's a good buy. The Hawkeye is hands down better than a Teslong.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornSutton View Post
    I saw a used Hawkeye with 90 degree eyepiece for sale recently for $550. That's a good buy. The Hawkeye is hands down better than a Teslong.
    Comparing a $2,000 item to a $100 item can be a suprise. Either one works well for the intended usage. Yes, the Hawkeye has the edge but that comes at 20 times the cost.

What is the best is also highly subjective. My Teslong goes to the range and gunshows. My Hawkeye never leaves my shop due to fear of damage.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-10-2024 at 05:51 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

I recently purchased a 'scope, not for firearms, but instead for the more noble purpose of my checking cylinders in two older Stihl chainsaws I have -- notably an MS261 Pro which shows compression but I can't seem to get a'going . Anyhoos, Don, Amazon dot com was my friend, as it often (though not always $$$-wise!) is, and for forty-seven U S dollars it arrived at my door. "Yup" -- it told me all I wished re the chainsaws -- UNBELIEVABLY clear images, which I was even able to save to the INCLUDED SD card. For kicks, I had a Mossberg .22 rifle in shed, and checked it out. Did I say, awesome" already? The only complaint -- if there is one -- is the wire from camera to unit is waaaay long -- great for, say, plumbers. But for me -- for chainsaws and firearms -- I could not think of an improvement. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camera.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	325614
    Note, too, Don -- Amazon dot com takes returns with no hassle... Not my regularity, but I recently needed return an item (boots -- my feet got toooo fat), and they emailed me a return label; dropped off to local UPS store; and within hours had my money back! So, if you opt it, and then don't like it -- no worries vis getting your hard-earned denaros back .
    Yupper -- my suggestion!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I've got the Teslong fixed rod with side mirrors and have used same on a number of my rifles, its works great and in my mind its in the nice to have basket but not essential, for the price if wanted they are not going to hurt much at all. Like of a lot of reloading tools we all have in our houses or sheds if we have them, we will use and if not will get by anyway!

Cheers

They can be fun, and they can be depressing, it all depends on how you look at it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very much appreciate the quick replies and informed comments.

I just order the "cheaper" version of the Teslong. Basically, the input from M-Tecs swayed me as well as the .2" size of the probe. Plus Teslong has been mentioned by others on other threads. I have an older out of date phone I can use for it.

I have spent thousands of dollars on this hobby and $60 seems a good value to get information I cannot get any other way.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Very much appreciate the quick replies and informed comments.

I just order the "cheaper" version of the Teslong. Basically, the input from M-Tecs swayed me as well as the .2" size of the probe. Plus Teslong has been mentioned by others on other threads. I have an older out of date phone I can use for it.

I have spent thousands of dollars on this hobby and $60 seems a good value to get information I cannot get any other way.
    You'll have a learning curve, but seeing is believing.

Boolit Master
    I was gifted a Lyman and it is okay, it works. Have access to a Hawkeye when serious discussion needed/wanted and the opinion of a bud. The thing I still have a hard time with is the memories of the firearms I have owned for decades. When I bought a lot of them I had a bore light in my pocket and remember most likely saying out loud it has a mirror bore. Decades later on these with several exceptional shooters, slide the old tube in and OH MY, mind blown!

Feeling and get the additional mirror kit for different bore sizes.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve got a Teslong flexible one. It’s OK for my purposes. Will get a rigid one, the flex one is a PITA because it wants to turn away from what I am trying to look at. They are inexpensive enough that storing one more damnable thing is a bigger concern than the cost.