MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Sparkles in the end of my barrel

Boolit Buddy

Sparkles in the end of my barrel

Just was cleaning my SA 1911 barrel after a shooting session with my daughter and noticed some sparkles in the barrel after cleaning that I thought was dust. Well it defiantly is not dust. I can’t say that I noticed it the last time I had it out but might have been there. I haven’t had it out of the safe for a couple years. I have only been shooting cast hitek coated with it since I bought it. Powders have been vv n310?, titegroup, and bullseye.

The specks look like maybe pitting? But not deep pitting. I live in a dry part of Montana where the humidity is really low. During cleaning, I used copper choreboy for a few strokes and then hoppes no. 9. And then some dry patches until they were clean. The barrel looks really smooth looking through it, it’s just with a flashlight that I can see these specks. None of my other barrels have this.

Any ideas what it could be?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7D4CA5F46377-1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	325598

Boolit Master
    I bought some patches that tended to leaves white dust behind, looked a lot like that. If you hit it with compressed air do they move?

I’d also try some foaming bore cleaner, give it time to work.

Did you shot cast bullets? Sparkles could be small granules of lead..

It looks like PC residue to me. I've experienced it in my Winchester 94 30-30. I don't know how Hitek plays into the equation.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Looks like it extends outside the barrel too. Looking at the muzzle...shows the same white speckles. I'm guessing it has something to do with the Hi-Tek.

Try shooting straight jacketed bullets for a hooting session...see if it goes away.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Hi-Tek / Powder Coat does leave behind a bit of residue. I most often notice it in my S&W revolvers with very shiny bores. After shooting they look "clean" but without the level of shiny that they have when actually clean. Scrubbing with a bore brush and some Hopp's #9 is enough to loosen it up, and then just hit with a patch, and a little oil until clean.

Whether that is what the OP is dealing with or not is another story. Just confirming that the Hi-Tek / Powder Coat does leave a layer behind...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sometimes I get those or little tiny streaks of lead at the end of the bore. I just clean as normal and they never cause problems.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Granddaughters got glitter
    it went everywhere and looks like that
    sticky, shiny, tiny, and banned too late.
    We are breathing plastic pollution, chopped mylar.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m not too worried if it’s just hitek coating. Just didn’t want it to be pitting from rust or I would have to change my storage method. I do think that I’m getting some hitek coating film in the barrel because after cleaning for much longer than it would take to get powder residue out, with a really tight patch, I get brown glaze on my patches after a back and forth a few times. My hitek I’m using is bronze in color.

My 10mm Kim barrel cleaned up encredibly easy without any residue left behind.

Pixie dust

Pixie dust? Been fairy dog hunting?

All Vihtavuori reloading powders produced today have an added decoppering agent. Today they're usually bismuth or a tin-bismuth combination.

This is whats let over after firing.