RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scam Alert

Scam Alert

I recently agreed to purchase an item posted by a member on S&S. I commented on the post "I will take it" and followed up with a PM to the seller. In my PM I gave the seller my address and phone number. Not long after, I received a text message on my phone stating the item was mine and that the seller would accept ppff or zelle. So I sent ppff. I then get an alert in my personal email (like i always do) that I have a PM on CB. It is the seller saying he has the total with shipping and will wait fo my money order. I asked the seller to call me which he did and sure enough the text message did not come from him. The scammer had to have somehow seen my PM to the seller in order to see my phone number. Anybody else have this happen?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I recently agreed to purchase an item posted by a member on S&S. I commented on the post "I will take it" and followed up with a PM to the seller. ?
    Yes a while back one of the members was hacked and a scammer was using his profile and PM's to run a scam on a forum listed handgun. I turned it over to the mods. The IP address was out of Europe some place.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-09-2024 at 10:36 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Scammers are swarming right now.
    The good news is that it's an open season with no bag limits.

We need members to be vigilant, and help hunt down & catch 'em so the Staff can fry 'em.
    If ANYTHING doesn't look right---
    please report it by clicking the little black triangle at the bottom of every post.
    One of the moderators can usually zap 'em within a hour or so,,,, often less.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post

We need members to be vigilant, and help hunt down & catch 'em so the Staff can fry 'em.
    please report it by clicking the little black triangle at the bottom of every post.
    That is a great plan however, whoever got me did not post nor comment on a post on the forum. Somehow they were able to see my PM to the seller in order to get my phone number. Perhaps the seller was hacked?

This was a very common scam on many of the gun sites I frequent.

Boolit Buddy
    That is a great plan however, whoever got me did not post nor comment on a post on the forum. Somehow they were able to see my PM to the seller in order to get my phone number. Perhaps the seller was hacked?
    The point here is the the private message was not private. Someone outside of the site was able to read it and use it for a scam.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

I don't agree. I have been filling bullet orders for co-workers for over ten years and have shipped over 1,700 pieces of mail. Moreover, customers pay for my products only after they are sent by mail. In all my time, I have only ONE time encountered a scammer who did not pay me for the products and did not return them. But I punished him: at a regional forum, in the city where the fraudster lived, I found an arbitrator who understood my situation and double-checked my claims against the fraudster - as a result, the fraudster was ostracized by the community of shooters and hunters.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    The point here is the the private message was not private. Someone outside of the site was able to read it and use it for a scam.
    Suggest both of you change your passwords ASAP.

A favorite tactic is for them to join, then go straight to S&S,
    and PM a buyer for the buyer to send money to them instead of the seller.

The seller doesn't get hacked, more like 'spoofed'. A scammer pretending to be the seller.

To join, go to S&S, and send a PM can be done in a couple of minutes.
    Catching them in that window before they can click 'send' is like playing 'wac-a-mole' at the carnival.
    The scammers will keep sending those PMs until they get busted.
    That's why it's so important for members to report them so moderators can shoot them on sight.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_4x4 View Post
    I don't agree. I have been filling bullet orders for co-workers for over ten years and have shipped over 1,700 pieces of mail. Moreover, customers pay for my products only after they are sent by mail. In all my time, I have only ONE time encountered a scammer who did not pay me for the products and did not return them. But I punished him: at a regional forum, in the city where the fraudster lived, I found an arbitrator who understood my situation and double-checked my claims against the fraudster - as a result, the fraudster was ostracized by the community of shooters and hunters.
    Good to see you are still around, Alex_4x4...hope all is well in your world.

With regard to scamming, it is at historic levels in the USA and increasing in frequency. Most of it originates in a foreign country, outside our borders.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post

With regard to scamming, it is at historic levels in the USA and increasing in frequency. Most of it originates in a foreign country, outside our borders.
    Just a guess but it only seems to be really bad in countries that don't do anything to the scammers?
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-09-2024 at 05:40 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    This is one reason to use a USPS money order and ship through USPS. If you get scammed, the federal government will investigate the federal crime of mail fraud. If you ship via UPS or FedEx, it is not legally mail fraud.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    This is one reason to use a USPS money order and ship through USPS. If you get scammed, the federal government will investigate the federal crime of mail fraud. If you ship via UPS or FedEx, it is not legally mail fraud.
    Sounds good until you actual have to submit a claim. I have and it takes forever with a massive amount of effort with a 50/50 chance of actually recover your money. I've done it twice. I got scammed here with the river stone sharpeners here by Riverwarker76 in 2010. I am still awaiting a refunded and legal action for mail fraud. The USPS, local LE and state LE laughed at my request to prosecute.

Most of the scammers want nonrefundable payment methods like zelle or venmo. Mostly they are hacked accounts using that as a front. The hackers/scammers are usually not in the US.

USPS insurance for lost items in no better.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-09-2024 at 05:29 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Just a guess but it only seems to be really bad in counties that don't do anything to the scammers?
    They don't have the will, or resources to go after violent crimes
    much less scammers plying their trade on the www in other countries.

EVERYONE!

Is it possible to have a 2 step verification on the S&S items?
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    Is it possible to have a 2 step verification on the S&S items?
    You already have that. If it's too good to be true or it seems a little off, I request they call me on the phone and provide a physical address. That's not something non-US based scammers can provide.

Unless I know you the only electronic payment method is PayPal Good and Service. I am not aware of any other electronic method that will actually refund your money if the item is not delivered. If you use zelle or venmo or PayPal Friends and Family, you have zero recourse.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-09-2024 at 06:07 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I always wondered what that was.
    With computers, if I don't know what it's for, or what it does, I don't mess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    if I don't know what it's for, or what it does, I don't mess with it.
    After working with and around heavy machinery, airplanes, and various other things that could hurt me:
    I've found that to be very good advice myself.

EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post

I now access this forum not through the “front entrance”, but through the “back door” using VPN technology. In Russia, since the time of the Mongol-Tatar invasion, they have been saying: “an uninvited guest is worse than a Tatar.”

So, this seems to be about me - they didn’t call me, but I came. But I can be forgiven - I miss the community of nice people.

As for “is everything okay in my world?” - It's not always the same. I managed to treat Charlie the cat (and he is already 16 years old) at the end of last year and he is now healthy and makes me happy that he exists - this is good. It has become harder to earn money and there is less of it - this is not very good. Inflation, in my opinion, is much higher than official statistics declare - this is both bad and good. It’s bad because food is becoming more expensive, but it’s good because my loans are depreciating. In general, everything has been as always for almost four decades in a row, starting with “perestroika”. In any case, the disaster of 1992 is still very, very far away - I still don’t eat canned dog food like I did then.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

If you are contacted by someone that is not the seller and has 0 posts asking you to contact them by email for a faster response. Report the PM to staff and PM the seller to verify it was them. 90% chance it is a scammer.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast