Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 454Casull R92

Boolit Mold

454Casull R92

Ever buy a gun and it turns out to be one disappointment after another? Me too, like this thing. It sounded like alot of fun. Light, handy, lots of horsepower, sounds fun to me. However it has turned out to be just a pain in the butt.
    The first one had to be returned to rossi, couldnt be repaired. What does that tell you? Why was it sent out the door? Replacement turned out to be great though. After waiting over 18 weeks for it I cycled the action and for having the factory springs it was very smooth, heavy but definitely smooth. Wood to metal fit was real nice and the metal finish was well done. So, all was well finally.....

Until I borescoped it, two little ridges in the bore right under the front sight. Yeah, we all know what the cause of those is. Man, their QC is disappointing.
    I thought though instead of just immediately sending it back and probably waiting another 12-18 weeks ( a friend recently waiter 16 weeks for a barrel with a bad chamber) Id just go ahead and shoot it to see if it was complete junk or or just half. Half I guess because half of the loads Ive tried are ok and the other half terrible, nothing spectacular for sure. However I havent even begun to exhaust all of the possible load combinations so I do have hope, plus Im shooting 100yds, with open sights and old eyes, not a great combo. I thought about scoping it until I discovered that the 4 tapped holes under the rear buckhorn sight are drilled off center. The front sight looks to be straight up and down but that scope base is definitely off. I thought a scope might help rule me out as the accuracy problem.
    So what do I do? I guess Ill just keep it for now and tinker with it. Perhaps Ill shorten the barrel and mag tube then recrown it. Im not able to cut a new dovetail but a few locals can.

I did smooth it up a little, reshaped the lifter to feed the beercans Ive been loading, lightened the loading gate to save my fingers, modified the front sight into a fiber optic instead of the brass bead that I couldnt see, refinished and shaped the stock and forend, did a trigger job and added some new springs. The thing is a slick and as fast as the 16" 357 rossi I own, and it has over 4000 rounds through it. Its been an absolute jewel and why I bought another rossi. I didnt get that lucky twice.

Stay tuned. In the mean time a few pics

Boolit Master
    Sounds like Rossi needs to shoot you an employment contract!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Is it a pre Braztech Rossi or a newer one made by CBC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. I'd not waste any more components on it, I'd lop the barrel and mag tube off and be done with it. The wood to metal fit is decent on that one, I've seen some that are horrible. I hope you get it straightened out to suit ya.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Mold
    CWT, what rossi needs to shoot me is about $500 back.

Texas BG, its a new CBC, so new in fact that I had to wait about 18 weeks for them to make it and ship it from Brazil, or so they told me, and why Im probably not going to send it back to them for a barrel replacement, which also has to come from Brazil, or so they told me. Seems a bit silly that "Rossi USA", USA doesnt have parts for repairs and such IN the USA.

Bazoo, I most likely will do just that. I can live with 9 instead of 10 rounds of 454, yeah, this one holds 10 rounds with the right bullet loaded up.
    Ive not spent much $ on it, just a mag spring and an ejector spring. Havent really spent much of my time on it either and my time is basically free at this point. The stock redo took less than a day and no $. My "action" work was minimal.
    I appreciate all of the responses.

I really am itchin to checker that forend and wrist thoughand that is an investment of time for sure.

Great looking rifle. I do like the stock and pad rework that you have done. I have one that I am getting ready to cut the LOP and reprofile the top of the stock and pad also. Luckily after reading your post I decided to bore scope mine and no bulge from the sight installations. Relief, mines pretty good all around and really be happy when I get around to shorting that LOP, what a power house rifle.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Mold
    Thank ya J. Be sure to look under both dovetails, much less likelihood with the rear but jeez, their qc seems to be horrible.
    Yeah, it is a powerhouse and I really expected that front sight to fly apart but I think if that 34.6gr of h110 and the 240gr xtp didnt knock it apart I think Im good. I honestly cant believe it held up to that but Im glad it did, its powerful bright.
    Best of luck with your inspection and future stock mods, it will look better.
    Im thinking Ill just shorten my barrel a little, match up the mag tube. Im not sure about which crown to usr though. Im not sure an 11° crown would be of benefit on such a thin walled barrel. Any thoughts on that?

Yessir, Trapperize it !

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Super RedHawk in 454, I would sure like to have a lever gun to go with it. I’ll keep looking and find one some day.