WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Casting for the summer!

Casting for the summer!

I had a few warm days at Christmas to render some wheel weights, and finally yesterday we had a decent day to cast some! I don't like to cast in the heat of summer, and I get cold too easilly it seems, so spring and fall I try to get ahead of what I'll need. These are approx 132gr with my lead, and the 8 cavity MP mold is really nice!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130gr1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	325572

Boolit Master
    Very nice! I did about 500 of my new MP359-159-SWC-BB the other day. Got them PC'd, and sized the following day. I also have about 500 Lyman 358477 cast up, so I'll have plenty for the 38s for a while. Working up some loads for my MP357-125-RN right now for the 9mm, but I've got about 1000 of those ready to go.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I've been holding out on the coating, although a lot of my friends are really into it. I have a Star, and just got too used to lubing them over the years.
    I will get quite a few of these PC'd for my granddaughter, (her favorite color is blue!)

Boolit Master
    I'm right there with you on focusing the majority of my casting to more pleasant weather. Although Too Cold rarely happens for me as I sometimes think I must have been predestined to be a polar bear rather than a human. I despise casting or even loading in the heat of Summer. For that matter I don't even like to shoot in the Summer. Don't even like living in the Summer. Imagine somebody who feels that way being born and living in the south.

Living again hopefully, here. But I’m trying to get my new mold to work the tail end of this winter. Lyman 266. And 154 grains. They are getting smoother. Mostly getting remelts. I don’t go out there below 50 degrees F. And that’s what I’m doing too. Preparing for summer.

Boolit Master
    I think we all had the same idea. Cast up 25lbs of the ELCO boolit today. I’ll finish the other 25lbs next week.

Moderator Emeritus

Very nice. Still under the nothing more than 10lbs for at least a few more weeks which means probably nothing until the fall with this back surgery recovery. Just a lil jealous

Boolit Master
    I just cast around 3300 140gr FP out if my 5 cav Accurate mold, Hi-Tek coated them and sized so I should be good for the summer.

The 9mm SWC is a start, still need to cast some 9mm TC, 45acp, and maybe some 180gr 44's, (I just don't shoot my 44mag much anymore, wish I could!)

Boolit Master

I have a 20 lb pot and cast till the PID temp probe is above the surface of the lead

interesting, I weighed the sprues, mine are all one long piece as I keep the pot flowing as I move the 6-banger from hole to hole, and they weigh 650 grains!!

don't throw them back in the pot till the end

total bullet weight is around 12-14 lbs depending on their size/weight
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I too run all the sprues together, but toss them all back in the pot every 5th or 6th throw. I don't have a temp controller on my old Lyman pot, depending on outside temp, setting it between 7 and 9, and throwing the sprues back seems to keep the casting temp about right.

Sunday was cold and wet so I cast up some 50cal boolits for 50/70 Sharps

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

One of my fond memories was a friend bringing his grandpa's Sharps 45-70 to a picnic in the mountains. Shooting beer cans full of sand at 100yds was a lot of fun! Those big bullets he cast really tore up the cans!