RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Current advice/ best practice on shipping dies and molds

Boolit Buddy

Question Current advice/ best practice on shipping dies and molds

I'm looking for the brain trust's recommendation on shipping dies and molds that won't fit into a small flat rate box.

I've had very good luck shipping brass with flat rate boxes that are well reinforced with fiber tape. I've also gotten fond of the small flat rate boxes, however I'm observing many die or mold boxes won't fit inside the small box. It seems excessive to increase the postage cost by 70% by going up to a medium flat rate.

Does anyone use the flat rate padded envelopes to put a die box in? If so do you put a layer of cardboard in with the dies and do things arrive safely?

I've tried a few searches here but haven't found any current discussion.

Jason

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I ship with the USPS Padded Flat Rate Envelopes.

Slip the die box into the envelope, remove the sticky tape strip, then fold the envelope in half to restrain the contents.

For more protection, put the die box in an old Amazon shipping envelope and stuff the entire item into a USPS Padded Flat Rate Envelope.

Or, do the same process with a salvaged bubble bag from Amazon and ship the package via USPS Parcel Select.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Grand Master
    I put the die box in a small flat rate box first, it bulges, but I put it in a tyvek envelope then in a flat rate envelope. Same with brass. Those tyvek envelopes are tough. I think a flat rate envelope is cheaper to send than a small flat rate box. Not much, but still cheaper.

Boolit Master

USPS Padded mailer or tyvec envelope gets run over by a fork lift or truck equals busted box and possibly dinged/scratched dies or mold - Had it happen - I won't do it and would not want one shipped to me that way
    Last edited by square butte; 04-08-2024 at 08:16 PM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    USPS Padded mailer or tyvec envelope gets run over by a fork lift or truck equals busted box and possibly dinged/scratched dies or mold - Had it happen - I won't do it and would not want one shipped to me that way
    A medium flat rate box ain't any stronger that they tyvek bag. That fork truck will flatten that cheap corrugated just as flat in a heartbeat. Wrap the mold well in a bag and put in a second bag. If you have some other packaging fill it up

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

You are sure right about that - And I think the padded mailer or tyvec envelope is more likely to slide through the cracks or off the top of a pile and wind up on the floor under something that will crush it.
    Being human is not for sissies.

I use the padded flat rate envelopes. Tape it up good. Never had any issues, shipped brass that way too, when it was bagged and taped good for the internal bags.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Moderator Emeritus

I use the padded flat rate envelopes for shipping many items. Items that need protection, get some buble rap or something ...sometimes I use clothing that no longer fits.
    I recently received a shipment where the sender put 2 small flat rate boxes inside a padded flat rate envelope.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the suggestions gents. I'll get some of the Tyvek envelopes and some of the padded flat rate ones and will definitely use internal reinforcement when the time comes.