Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead ammo ban in Wisconsin

Boolit Master

Lead ammo ban in Wisconsin

Just FYI. There is a question on the Conservation Congress asking whether lead ammo should be banned for hunting in Wisconsin. You can vote tonight, or online later this week.

Boolit Master
    I have friends that are hunters in Wisconsin. Do you have a link to where they can cast their vote?

Boolit Master
    You Recon they gonna follow you around as you Hunt???
    Bust out and Be a Law Breaker...just like yer Fearless Leader....

Boolit Master
    I don't know if there just isn't a live link yet or what. On-line input doesn't begin until the 10th. I will return and post a link to the on-line input when I find out more.

In the mean time, here is a FAQ page on the on-line input process.

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/sites/defa...neInputFAQ.pdf

Boolit Master
    racepres: Yes, they do. There's a lead bullet ban in effect in California. People here are not allowed to hunt with any bullets that contain lead. (this includes 22 long rifle and muzzleloaders) The department of Fish and Wildlife WILL stop you and inspect your ammunition. If you're caught hunting, or even possessing ammo that contains lead while your on a hunt, you will be cited and have to pay a hefty fine. I'm not sure if they will confiscate your firearm, but I'm about 99% sure that they will. The game wardens can come onto any public or private property in this state without a warrant. Please don't tell people to break the law unless you're willing to stand beside them while their facing a judge.

Boolit Master
    great no lead,, no firearms instate parks,, = mountain lion bait. Think i would take the fine

Boolit Master
    Wondering if Zinc Counts??? Can they tell the difference?
    Pewter????
    Last edited by racepres; 04-09-2024 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    racepres: Yes, they do. There's a lead bullet ban in effect in California. People here are not allowed to hunt with any bullets that contain lead. (this includes 22 long rifle and muzzleloaders) The department of Fish and Wildlife WILL stop you and inspect your ammunition. If you're caught hunting, or even possessing ammo that contains lead while your on a hunt, you will be cited and have to pay a hefty fine. I'm not sure if they will confiscate your firearm, but I'm about 99% sure that they will. The game wardens can come onto any public or private property in this state without a warrant. Please don't tell people to break the law unless you're willing to stand beside them while their facing a judge.
    Amen, a friend here in Kali had one round left in his chamber. His fine was $7,000. And that after pleading for Mercy from the Judge.

Boolit Master
    Once California initiated it's ban on lead hunting bullets, any bullets used for hunting must be tested and placed on an approved list for them to be considered legal. Even if you cast your own bullets out of zinc or tin, you'd still have to pay the state to test your cast bullets to have them placed on the approved list. This wouldn't make ALL the bullets cast from that material, in that mold style, legal for hunting - just your own cast bullets. Unless you were a bullet manufacturer or distributor I would assume that getting your own bullets tested and approved would be cost prohibitive. The way I solve these problems is to drive for hundreds of miles and cross over an imaginary line to hunt in another state.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Once California initiated it's ban on lead hunting bullets, any bullets used for hunting must be tested and placed on an approved list for them to be considered legal. Even if you cast your own bullets out of zinc or tin, you'd still have to pay the state to test your cast bullets to have them placed on the approved list. This wouldn't make ALL the bullets cast from that material, in that mold style, legal for hunting - just your own cast bullets. Unless you were a bullet manufacturer or distributor I would assume that getting your own bullets tested and approved would be cost prohibitive. The way I solve these problems is to drive for hundreds of miles and cross over an imaginary line to hunt in another state.
    Luckily...I vowed back in the '70's...No Kommiefornia for Me!!
    Michigan ain't far behind tho...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Luckily...I vowed back in the '70's...No Kommiefornia for Me!!
    Michigan ain't far behind tho...
    You are sooo correct about that. Just follow the I94 / I69 corridor.

Boolit Buddy
    For california hunting, you can still cast your own boolits using rotometals non lead alloy. It is on the california approved list. It is $15.00 per lb.
    https://wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nonl...tion/Certified

Boolit Grand Master
    If I wanted to hunt in a lead free state, I would buy Barnes lead free bullets. They are about $1 each. Once a load is worked up, every year you I would use 3 shots to check POI, maybe another 3 shots if an adjustment is needed and one shot per critter per year. $5-10 a year for hunting bullets is not going to be a game changer. My jacketed lead bullets cost $.40 each. A cost increase of less than $6 a year is inconsequential.

It is a stupid law, but 99% of hunters can work around it. It affects a small percentage of hunters that want to use their own lead bullets.

Hope it gets defeated. I am not worried about hunting but fear it will someday apply to all bullets. That would make plinking and target practice very expensive.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If I wanted to hunt in a lead free state, I would buy Barnes lead free bullets. They are about $1 each. Once a load is worked up, every year you I would use 3 shots to check POI, maybe another 3 shots if an adjustment is needed and one shot per critter per year. $5-10 a year for hunting bullets is not going to be a game changer. My jacketed lead bullets cost $.40 each. A cost increase of less than $6 a year is inconsequential.

It is a stupid law, but 99% of hunters can work around it. It affects a small percentage of hunters that want to use their own lead bullets.

Hope it gets defeated. I am not worried about hunting but fear it will someday apply to all bullets. That would make plinking and target practice very expensive.
    All bullets is no doubt the goal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

My concern is the ban on all lead bullets and all lead shot at all shooting clubs. It is coming. Could they do that at a club located on a lead mine property, say in Missouri where lead is removed from the ground?.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    great no lead,, no firearms instate parks,, = mountain lion bait. Think i would take the fine
    Look at all the $$ you save taking a bus OUT OF KOMIFORNIA!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

How will muzzle loaders handle this? Tin seems too hard?? Bismuth?

Boolit Buddy
    There was probably already a post about this a few weeks ago when it was proposed, but Minnesota is proposing something similar. Except in the case of Minnesota (to my understanding), the ban would be on lead for hunting, lead for shooting sports, and lead for all commercial ranges. I haven't seen anything about public comments, but I remember reading an article that quoted one of the proponents of the bill citing the "dire health and environmental consequences of lead use." I think I even saw someone quoted saying that lead exposure leads to various disorders in youth including decreased attention spans.
    Personally, I would think that being involved in shooting sports and reloading and casting specifically would tend to require one to increase their attention spans, but what do I know...

Boolit Buddy
    I am a Californian and the lead-free idea spread from protecting the endangered Condor species. I suggest contacting your State NRA to discuss what approaches can be used to defeat this proposition. After the lead hunting bullet ban, groups went after the gun ranges. Here in the SF Bay Area, ranges have been closed because those who are against guns cited lead poisoning of the water table. Three ranges were closed, and existing ranges now have to be vigilant. For example, an indoor club I belong to was discovered by the City Officials. Before, I'd mine the range with a sifter for the .22lr and pellets and later melt it into ingots for person use. Now the City requires full hazmat gear and picking up the pellets with tweezers. I don't get lead from there anymore.

Boolit Master
    Good to know that Rotometals lead free alloy is on the approved list. I don't want for this topic to start skirting on the political rather than the reloading and hunting point of view, but there is one thing that should be pointed out; increasingly environmental issues are being used to restrict shooting sports. One of the tracts of public land where lots of people liked to shoot was recently closed because the state, working in coordination with one of the state universities, released 10 endangered lizards onto 1 acre way out in the back country where there are no roads or trails, on a tract of federal public land that's way over 600 acres. I looked online at another tract of federal public land that's to the north, and the gate there is also locked. The picture was blurred, but it looks like there were signs and messages about some endangered rat or bug or something. It's not just lead and endangered species, municipalities also use "noise abatement" as an excuse to close shooting areas. These uses of environmental issues being focused on restricting shooting areas are becoming more common. On the radio last week I heard a commentator referring to the individuals that are championing this as "watermelons" (they look green on the outside, but they're red on the inside) Again, this is skirting on the edge of becoming a political topic rather than a casting and reloading issue so I'm going to refrain from posting further about it. If you live in Wisconsin or plan on hunting there contact their Conservation Congress and let them know that you are opposed to them banning lead bullets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast