Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cart before the horse? Have a barrel blank...

Boolit Grand Master
    If you build a 15-40 lb rifle, you will not want a break open.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    I’m trying to achieve lowest muzzle pressure possible. Seating the boolet against the powder helps according to quick load. Get a copy and play with it. I think it’s worth the price I paid.

Yes. I’m aware seating deep drastically raises pressure.
    I haven’t played with quick load, but I don’t expect that their algorithm fully contemplates what you’re contemplating. Then again, maybe it does.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I don’t trust the program as much as some people might. I’ve seen it show different pressure and higher charges than published data. I worked down under 1 grain without the program. Seating deeper is what I was missing.
    The program shows dramatic pressure changes with deep seated boolets and minuscule charges. I intend to make very small changes and probably at least ten loads for one test sample. I don’t know that I’ll have the courage to go to the limit the program predicts.

It sounds like to me if you were to find a H&R / NEF Ultra Slug Gun model SBS 980 and have a 24”liner barrel turned to insert in the 12 ga. you would have pretty close to what you want to make.
    The USG has a very heavy 24” barrel already and with a 12 ga. Liner it would even be heavier plus you would have 2 calibers 12 ga. Rifled bore plus 9 mm or whatever you want the liner chambered in.
    A working extractor would be hard to make for it but you are not looking for a fast repeating rifle anyhow so it could be made simply as a finger nail eject.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 04-11-2024 at 03:47 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123