Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Another new/old Remington rolling block.

Another new/old Remington rolling block.

Well with everything going on with friends and family in our world I took a break for a bit on Friday.

Was looking around on gun broker when a seller listed a spanish rolling block carbine that had been relined and chambered to 44-40. I thought wow!! Just what I'd like to do with the one I bought a few weeks ago. Showed the listing to my wife and she said what are you waiting for, buy the darn thing!

I called the seller, he gave me the short rundown on the rifle, a deal was struck and it's in the mail!

Was reported that it was relined by a very reputable gunsmith using a redman liner. Will be coming with test targets and a full write up on it that was done in the Remington Society journal. And numerous emails between the smith and remington about this rifle. Might be some history here??

The seller had some real good closeups on the whole rifle, not perfect cosmetic wise, 125+ years old so wear is expected, LOL. Mechanics are said to be 100% and an accurate shooter. Guess we'll soon find out.

Honestly I have a green mtn barrel coming in for my other rolling block, this is the one I was going to have rebuilt to a 44-40, however trying to get other parts for it and finding a local smith with time to do it has been a pain to say the least. Parts are on back order or sold out, smiths are backed up 3-9 months locally. Mailing it out to get it done is about the same time frame, plus the shipping process. Not to mention the cost, was cheaper buying this one than piecing one together. So when this one showed its head, why not!

Once it arrives and I get a chance to put it through its paces I'll give a range report!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3225.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	325509

Name:	IMG_3224.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	325510

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy4477 View Post
    Well with everything going on with friends and family in our world I took a break for a bit on Friday.

Was looking around on gun broker when a seller listed a spanish rolling block carbine that had been relined and chambered to 44-40. I thought wow!! Just what I'd like to do with the one I bought a few weeks ago. Showed the listing to my wife and she said what are you waiting for, buy the darn thing!

I called the seller, he gave me the short rundown on the rifle, a deal was struck and it's in the mail!

Was reported that it was relined by a very reputable gunsmith using a redman liner. Will be coming with test targets and a full write up on it that was done in the Remington Society journal. And numerous emails between the smith and remington about this rifle. Might be some history here??

The seller had some real good closeups on the whole rifle, not perfect cosmetic wise, 125+ years old so wear is expected, LOL. Mechanics are said to be 100% and an accurate shooter. Guess we'll soon find out.

Honestly I have a green mtn barrel coming in for my other rolling block, this is the one I was going to have rebuilt to a 44-40, however trying to get other parts for it and finding a local smith with time to do it has been a pain to say the least. Parts are on back order or sold out, smiths are backed up 3-9 months locally. Mailing it out to get it done is about the same time frame, plus the shipping process. Not to mention the cost, was cheaper buying this one than piecing one together. So when this one showed its head, why not!

Once it arrives and I get a chance to put it through its paces I'll give a range report!

Name:	IMG_3225.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	325509

Name:	IMG_3224.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	325510
    Looks like the perfect choice for a Remington carbine for a reline! Should be a really fun shooter that wont beat you up.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Looks like the perfect choice for a Remington carbine for a reline! Should be a really fun shooter that wont beat you up.
    Hoping so, that 43 spanish carbine with full bp loads kicks quite hard. My #1 sporter in 45-70 with a 34 inch badger barrel weighs just under 12 pounds. Is fun to shoot and don't beat you up. Bugger to hold due to the weight anymore.

Boolit Master

Always wanted a RB Carbine but never bought one for one reason or another. Looking forward to your report on it shooting. james

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy4477 View Post
    Hoping so, that 43 spanish carbine with full bp loads kicks quite hard. My #1 sporter in 45-70 with a 34 inch badger barrel weighs just under 12 pounds. Is fun to shoot and don't beat you up. Bugger to hold due to the weight anymore.
    I shoot my heavier single shots off the bench, or cross sticks. A rifle over 10 lbs. isn't easy for me to shoot offhand anymore. Bad shoulders.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I shoot my heavier single shots off the bench, or cross sticks. A rifle over 10 lbs. isn't easy for me to shoot offhand anymore. Bad shoulders.
    I find it most comfortable shooting seated using cross sticks and built a shooting box for just that purpose .

Quote Originally Posted by ric44 View Post
    I find it most comfortable shooting seated using cross sticks and built a shooting box for just that purpose .
    I use a turkey seat for seated off cross sticks. They're just tall enough to allow me to get down and back up gracefully, but not so tall as to require taller sticks. I have a pair of very short cross sticks for prone shooting, but rarely shoot prone as it's just not a comfortable position.

Boolit Master
    I have a twin to that one that was torn down years ago to do something? Back when I had a NDI level lll guy across the hangar I could buy lunch and had all kinds of stuff looked over. Receiver passed and was polished out and cleaned up and bought a long Douglas .458" I was going to go the Creedmoor round barrel shotgun butt thing. Barrel threaded and only needs bottom cut and extractor, chamber cut after breech fit. Well, the several years it has sat in box and all this RB talk around here lately has me thinking. I could drop off the threads and still have way more than enough barrel for one of my Magnum M70 receivers in the stash box to make a boomer. I was thinking maybe screw that frosted 7mm thing back on and try some PPing in it, but a 45 Colt has me wondering maybe a new buddy for my SAA?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    I have a twin to that one that was torn down years ago to do something? Back when I had a NDI level lll guy across the hangar I could buy lunch and had all kinds of stuff looked over. Receiver passed and was polished out and cleaned up and bought a long Douglas .458" I was going to go the Creedmoor round barrel shotgun butt thing. Barrel threaded and only needs bottom cut and extractor, chamber cut after breech fit. Well, the several years it has sat in box and all this RB talk around here lately has me thinking. I could drop off the threads and still have way more than enough barrel for one of my Magnum M70 receivers in the stash box to make a boomer. I was thinking maybe screw that frosted 7mm thing back on and try some PPing in it, but a 45 Colt has me wondering maybe a new buddy for my SAA?
    The bore of ,458" is much too large for a .45 Colt chambering. Why not just finish it as it was intended by chambering it to .45-70, and fitting some new stocks to it. If you can fit and finish semi inletted stocks the cost of buying them is very reasonable. I think CPA shows $120 for a set in standard wood, and a bit more for higher grade wood.
    Then once you've got it ready you can send off the barreled action and get it color cased, and barrel rust blued. You'll have a great Creedmoor rifle, and not be into it as much as it could be worth!
    Rolling Blocks make great basis for BPCR type rifle builds, and one of the few actions that are still a bargain to begin with.

Boolit Master
    That is exactly where I was going with it initially, had researched the wood, possibly working lower tang and all the good stuff. The .458" tube I guess I did not explain well enough, cut the threads off and thread up to fit on one of my Mag M70 rec's in .458WM, 458x2 stuff. It would be a new pipe for the 45C and the thinking was a pretty stout 45C would be more than safe in that #5 action. Between then and now thinking about all, new barrel, all the work, cuts, extractor mod on thin rim mods, source reamer, on and on. Last night the thought crossed 45ACP? Little if any extractor mod, drill original barrel and liner it up, I have several ACP reamers, clean it up and put the saddle ring back on and have fun with it on the cheap.

The #5 or #1 actions are plenty strong enough for most .45-70 loads. Not the crazy hot loads, but medium level smokeless loads are no issue. I load smokeless in my old BP #1 actions and my Ballard actions in .45-70 and shoot 530 gr. cast bullets at around 1350 fps with 4198 powder charges.
    I'd sure continue the Rolling Block build and not shorten the barrel or change boats mid stream.

Boolit Mold
    I have always wanted once of the Swedish Artillery carbines in 12,7x44R. They don't often come to the market and when they do they are invariably still rimfire. From what I understand, the carbines unlike the 12,7x44 rifles were not generally converted to CF since no one wanted to hunt with one. Since I already shoot 50-70, owning one of these seems like a good idea...