Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Reloading w/ LEE eq?

Reloading w/ LEE eq?

Hi Ya All, I had several reasons not to reload or cast, for a couple of years, almost all gone.
    One thing is that I am now loading .38Spl. on a single stage.
    Problem is powder drop using my Lee Auto Disk Powder measure. I pulled it of my unused Lee Pro 1000 press; has Adjustable Charge Bar ( I have the disks also).
    It doesn't drop uniform loads?

Much obliged, Max

Boolit Master
    I have Never even watched an Automatic or One Pull press operate...Only offer I can make is...with Flake or Flattened Ball powders, I have very good luck with the Lee Perfect Powder measure.. Fixed/Rigid chamber type Measures, work best for Me, with Ball Powders...
    Prolly no Help...But...My experience FWIW

Try it with the disks, but be advised that Lee's data for the disks is conservative. I.e., you may have to use a disk with a larger opening (cc's) than their data suggests. Btw, I've been using my disk measure on a single stage press with complete satisfaction, but you have to operate your press ram consistently to get good results.

Boolit Mold
    I have heard that the disk powder throwers don't like certain powders. I use the auto drum and the PPM. They are very consistant.

Boolit Grand Master

Try wiping it down with a dryer sheet static will cause this. another is operate it a uniformly as possible, check the set up make sure its making the full travel. if the slide disc dosnt get fully lined up or even a litle past this can happen.

I have used the Lee powder disks for many decades. I think the advice above is good. Perhaps you are trying for a standard that does not matter? Weighing every charge from my equipment it is extremely consistent.

Boolit Master
    Are you using the powder measure mounted in a stand, or moving it from case to case by hand. Free handing will often result in some jostling and that will shift the powder around and can result in random consistent filling of the chamber. Some powders can be problems as well. Sort of short on what you are doing keeps everyone guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Are you using the powder measure mounted in a stand, or moving it from case to case by hand. Free handing will often result in some jostling and that will shift the powder around and can result in random consistent filling of the chamber. Some powders can be problems as well. Sort of short on what you are doing keeps everyone guessing.
    Dusty. I have the hopper on a single stage press. And I am using my Ohaus 10-10 beam scale to verify loads. I am most use to my RL550 (which I dont have now) which dropped consistantly, I think. I am not anal about loads +/- a tich is good for me. most of my shooting was steel and only time matterd.
    Much obliged, Max

Thanks for reminding me that I need to test my auto disk after the mods I made to it.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I find my auto disk to be very consistent! I even have a safety disk (predates the auto disk it is bench mounted instead of mounting on the press/powder through die) and both are very consistent! The adjustable charge bar, not so much! Never could get that thing to work! Quit using it.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Hi Ya Tall, I think I will try the disk. No I am not very particular in weight of throw; since .38's take anywhere from 3 to 4gns.
    Much obliged, Max

Boolit Master
    The adjustable charge bar has never worked for me. I just work up my loads with the Improved PPM and then choose a cavity in a disc slightly undersized and slowly ream it to drop the pre determined load. I then mark that cavity and keep the disc in a clear plastic container with all the pertinent load data on a label stuck on the case. If a disc has more than one customized cavity I mark them differently and then make a note which marking pertains to its own label.

HI Ya, Maven, will do try the discs. And much obliged, I do Mavin!
    Max

Good idea Jet,
    Much obliged, Max

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by max it View Post
    Hi Ya Tall, I think I will try the disk. No I am not very particular in weight of throw; since .38's take anywhere from 3 to 4gns.
    Much obliged, Max
    And.... Your Lee won't stay in that Range????
    or...this really ain't about Lee Equip.

Boolit Master
    I use the LEE perfect powder measure. It is very consistent and accurate. I never used anything else. Never felt the need for anything different.

Never messed with lee stuff other than their old Auto Prime, a few die sets and push through sizer dies. I have a couple nice RCBS measures that I use for load development but run Dillon 450 and 550 measures on my progressive presses [Dillon 550b’s and Lyman T2’s].

Right on Mitten, it's likely me. Anyway with the adjustable powder bar very inconsistent for me. But I'm deaf and blind. So I likely double loaded a few.
    Anyway I cleaned the device and used the disks I have had for some 15 years, untouched. And now the drops are right on.
    Much obliged, Max

Yes Reed that's me before I traded my RL550 set up with all appurtenances to a good friend for work on my auto.
    that left me with similar Lee stuff. And a RL450 which I have somewhat modified. Getting that one up to speed will be next project.
    Much obliged, Max