Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where lead came from in the old days (USA style)

Where lead came from in the old days (USA style)

Very informative, thanks for sharing.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    In Gouverneur, New York -- not too distant from me -- St. Joseph's had a lead mine, and my next door neighbor worked there as a carpenter. That's all I knew/know about the mine, other than he professed it was quite the "elevator" ride down to the working level. The video makes me think of the tunneling of ants -- I never imagined the mined caverns being so huge! Funny, too, that nowadays we're "supposed to" wear gloves and respirators near, much less being in contact with lead -- and these workers clearly wore neither! MOST interesting video! Thank you for sharing!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I'm impressed at the technology they had in 1948. I wonder how the worker's health fared as they aged. The narrator talks about putting lead in gas, lead in paint...
    I found a 15' pure lead water pipe under a floor in my house - I made roundballs out of it. I've seen antique toothpaste tubes made of lead.
    Great video.

There were lead mines along the upper Mississippi when the Spaniards still owned it in the 1600s. Galena IL. is one site. Dubuque is another

Also around the Wood River region of Idaho. They were actually after silver, but silver and lead are often found together.
    Cognitive Dissident

There was an old lead smelter in Sullivan, MO where I lived as a small boy. Apparently, there was quite the industry there in several types of mines. I know my grandfather worked in the iron mine until lit closed in the mid 70's. Guessing about the timing.

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/sullivan-missouri/

Glancing through the search results, apparently, there are still a few lead production facilities in Missouri.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    How many of you were drooling over all those lead bars as they were loaded into the railcars? I know I was. I also noted the safety harnesses in the mines! That was WAY ahead of it's time. I did see that the workers at the last smelting stage where they were taking the powdered dross off were wearing masks, probably not much more than a fabric filter but it was something.

Boolit Master

Was at the Missouri State Historical Site at Park Hills (old Federal Mine #3) and went through the museum there. Really interesting and the museum staff...mostly former mine employees...are willing to provide a lot more information than in the brochures. After looking at some of the pics I took while I was there, I think the Bureau of Mines film was probably shot there, too.

Was interesting for me because I grew up in northwestern Illinois, right next to the Galena lead mining area. Recall several abandoned mine excavations while hunting in the hill country around there when I was in high school.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 04-07-2024 at 11:42 AM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

That was very interesting, thanks for posting it.

Banned

I was surprised at the number of steps required to get from galena to ingot!

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting that for the final purification to remove the silver, copper, and nickel from the lead they add zinc and it forms an amalgam (at ~23 min). Normally the last thing we would do is intentionally add zinc to our pure lead. I am wondering if this will work in reverse? What would happen if you add some copper powder to your zinc contaminated lead?

Boolit Master
    Tar Creek - first paragraph points out a few health hazards.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master

I spent most of my adult working life in and around the Cominco Lead/Zinc smelter in tTrail, B.C. Canada. I was surrounded by thousands of tons of lead but couldn't even buy any! Before lead was considered "evil" the smelter let the crews take what they wanted but that changed many years ago. I know a guy who was an operator in the refinery and he used to take his bullet moulds in and cast when he had time. The bullets went home in his lunch box!

The Trail lead refinery was the first electrolytic lead refinery in the world and produces 90,000 tons of lead/year. The Smelter takes lead concentrtate and pyro refines it then ships 6 ton pigs to the lead refinery where it is cast into anodes then put in electrolytic cells where the lead is dissolved off the anodes and plated onto pure lead mother sheets at the cathodes then that becomes product lead at 99.999% purity. The black slimes left on the anode contains a lot of silver and some gold along with arsenic and other things. The slimes are dried then processed in the silver refinery.

There are several 235 ton pots containing both product lead to be cast into pigs as well as recycled anodes to be remelted and recast into new anodes with the addition of smelter lead. I was always tempted but never took any lead home! I scrounge like most people.

A link to a pic of the original tank room in the early 1900's:

https://search-bcarchives.royalbcmus...lter-trail-b-c

What it looks like now:

https://www.teck.com/products/other-metals

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Lead is often associated with the silver in solver mine in Nevada. I once visited a ghost town with silver mines and in the tailings many of the rubble seemed like almost pure lead.

Vendor Sponsor

That was a good old film. I think I saw sometime in the dim past.

In the 1980's I owned a house in Leadville, CO. Leadville, a mining town was primary about Silver mines. We never hear much about Lead bi-products of silver and gold mining but I am sure there was some. Most of the mines closed and mining of silver had ended by the time I had a house there but the big mine that employed everyone at that time was Climax that produced Molybdenum. I imagine in the name of reclaiming every last dollar, any secondary metals like lead were processed.
    Chill Wills

100+ years ago there was a small mining town northeast of Deming NM called Cook's Peak. All underground operations and a lot of silver was mined, but the high lead concentration caused the miners enough health problems that it was was abandoned.

Boolit Master
    I enjoyed that thoroughly! I never imagined a mine being so large as those shown. Glad they included the look at the end showing how much raw materials are taken from the ground to produce one lead bar of 130lbs I'm going to bookmark this video so I can watch it again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I spent most of my adult working life in and around the Cominco Lead/Zinc smelter in tTrail, B.C. Canada. I was surrounded by thousands of tons of lead but couldn't even buy any! Before lead was considered "evil" the smelter let the crews take what they wanted but that changed many years ago. I know a guy who was an operator in the refinery and he used to take his bullet moulds in and cast when he had time. The bullets went home in his lunch box!

The Trail lead refinery was the first electrolytic lead refinery in the world and produces 90,000 tons of lead/year. The Smelter takes lead concentrtate and pyro refines it then ships 6 ton pigs to the lead refinery where it is cast into anodes then put in electrolytic cells where the lead is dissolved off the anodes and plated onto pure lead mother sheets at the cathodes then that becomes product lead at 99.999% purity. The black slimes left on the anode contains a lot of silver and some gold along with arsenic and other things. The slimes are dried then processed in the silver refinery.

There are several 235 ton pots containing both product lead to be cast into pigs as well as recycled anodes to be remelted and recast into new anodes with the addition of smelter lead. I was always tempted but never took any lead home! I scrounge like most people.

A link to a pic of the original tank room in the early 1900's:

https://search-bcarchives.royalbcmus...lter-trail-b-c

What it looks like now:

https://www.teck.com/products/other-metals

Longbow
    Looking at those two pictures side by side you can see that little has changed other than the modern handling machinery.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the day Lead was a high demand commodity. used in the new fangled indoor out houses and other plumbing, roofs, fuels to lubricate valves, seals, construction and solders. It was easy to work with and cast low temps that were easily obtainable. In organs and other instruments it gave a true tone. It was used for kids toys even. A lot was cast or formed on site as needed.
    There were many actual lead mines and also the side benefit of silver and copper mines where lead was present along with the main ore. A big benefit was unlike the other ores lead was much easier to refine into a usable product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast