Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lookin' for loads, in all the wrong places? 44 Special

Boolit Mold

Question Lookin' for loads, in all the wrong places? 44 Special

New here. Not sure this is how to go about my search.

I have always had an affinity for the .44 caliber. I have loaded many rounds for 44 magnums over the years. NOW that I have turned 70 years ofr age I have settled down to .44 Specials. I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog daily, and while I have owned many magnums but I have very little info about the Special 44.

I am looking for suggested loads for the caliber using cast wad-cutters for EDC daily use. Weights are either 215 grain HBWC, or 185 grain LWC. I also have the option of a 165 grain cast cowboy boolit in 165 grain RNFP. I have 231, Bullseye, Unique, and REDDOT to name a few of my favorite powders.

Purpose will be for EDC self defense of myself and my wife. Looking for 700-900 FPS loads in these 21 oz revolvers.

I have shot, over the years, the Skeeter load, but recoil is ferocious!

So, how about it? Any suggestions? I have shot, cast, and reloaded over 50 years now, so I shouldn't have any problems grasping your ideas. Thanks, WDW44

Boolit Buddy
    Load the 215 grain HBWC as intended, with the hollow base facing the powder. At 700 f/s that should reliably give about 18" of penetration in bare 10% gelatin with about 40 grams of wound mass by MacPherson's calculation. I'd use Bullseye until I ran out.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Boolit Master

+1 on both the powder and bullet choice. I've really come to like Bullseye for this sort of load. Currently running Titegroup in the Special, but pushing 255 grains with it.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Well you’ve got some good components. Like PettyPace, I’d be using Bullseye first.

For boolits, I’d load a few of each weight and see which ones shoot high, low or just right. I’d think 5 grains of Bullseye would work great with all of them except the heavy hollow base if you load it hollow base to the back. Wouldn’t want to worry about blowing a skirt.

If I was loading the 165 gr RNFP, I’d turn it around to get a full meplat bevel base wadcutter. I really prefer full meplat wadcutters for making big leaky holes.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    My, decidedly Old Bulldog won't shoot light bullets to POA. So, 3.8 gr of Red Dot or 6.0 Grains of Unique give 650fps, under the Old Speer Swaged 240.. or of course, Soft cast 240's, and are POA. If I could get away with 200's I would use that same charge of Unique or Red Dot, as all that changes is the FPS...jumps to 775. In My Particular Bulldog. Odd...but...tested repeatedly.

I like 4.5 grains of red dot/promo 7nder a 190 grain button nose solid base wadcutter.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    There is a lot of controversy about using handloads for EDC. From what I have read, the most legitimate concern is that factory loads are, for the most part, a known load. It is possible for a forensics lab to determine how far the shooter was from the shootee by using powder burns. The specific case I read about involved a handloader and target shooter that, for his wife, loaded light target loads in 38 SPL +P cases. The way the story goes, wife commits suicide using one of these cartridges. Husband tries, unsuccessfully to stop her. He has powder residue on his hands. She has powder burns consistent with a +P load shot from a distance. Even though he has in these cases, with this light charge, prosecution has the +P cases as the cartridge that killed the woman.
    I know I am somewhat comparing apples to oranges here, self defense to suicide. The point is if one is forced to shoot someone in self defense, it is a preferable to do so with a factory load that distance from shooter to target can determined.
    All that being said, I've been handloading for 45+ years, casting boolits for 35+ years. The only factory ammo I buy is rimfire and EDC. I'll use handloads for self defense in a TEOTWAWKI situation, but only then.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I like 4.5 grains of red dot/promo 7nder a 190 grain button nose solid base wadcutter.
    In the Charter Bulldog!!! Yeowch..
    on the Ammo end;
    If I have a Need to Shoot someone...last thing I will worry over is "what with"
    most of those "scary stories" are Internet BS and Liberal Crap... but, opinions are like???? I forget..
    Last edited by racepres; 04-06-2024 at 10:50 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WDW44 View Post

New here. Not sure this is how to go about my search.

I have always had an affinity for the .44 caliber. I have loaded many rounds for 44 magnums over the years. NOW that I have turned 70 years ofr age I have settled down to .44 Specials. I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog daily, and while I have owned many magnums but I have very little info about the Special 44.

I am looking for suggested loads for the caliber using cast wad-cutters for EDC daily use. Weights are either 215 grain HBWC, or 185 grain LWC. I also have the option of a 165 grain cast cowboy boolit in 165 grain RNFP. I have 231, Bullseye, Unique, and REDDOT to name a few of my favorite powders.

Purpose will be for EDC self defense of myself and my wife. Looking for 700-900 FPS loads in these 21 oz revolvers.

I have shot, over the years, the Skeeter load, but recoil is ferocious!

So, how about it? Any suggestions? I have shot, cast, and reloaded over 50 years now, so I shouldn't have any problems grasping your ideas. Thanks, WDW44
    Just as an off-the-wall idea -- note word, "idea" -- not a suggestion or anything more, but perhaps I have been watching too many episodes of television series, "Forensic Files"? If you feel you have a need for self-defense, I think I would go for a shot-shell load. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 sp shot.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	325492 Vis forensics, the only thing I might consider remaining would be the firing pin indent on cartridge case -- but as long as you police your brass -- no worries.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Just as an off-the-wall idea -- note word, "idea" -- not a suggestion or anything more, but perhaps I have been watching too many episodes of television series, "Forensic Files"? If you feel you have a need for self-defense, I think I would go for a shot-shell load. Click image for larger version. 

ID:	325492 Vis forensics, the only thing I might consider remaining would be the firing pin indent on cartridge case -- but as long as you police your brass -- no worries.
    You would Not Believe the variety of "materials" a friend was putting into those capsules back when they first became available!!! some very effective (on chicken carcasses), some...Not at all...some in fact Comical!!!!

I've worked up some lighter loads with Bullseye and heavier bullets, and that's where I'll start when I begin working with 200 grain bullets. For the RCBS 44-250-K that I use a lot of, which weighs 265 gains, I use 4.4, 4.6, and 4.8 grains of bullseye.

I settled on the 4.8 grain sort of a standard plinking load, but the 4.4 and 4.6 grain loads were light and still thumped when it hit, and all were pretty accurate, though not as accurate for me as slightly heavier loads.

I haven't worked much with the lighter end yet, but I do have a 200 grain Lee mould that I'm going to tinker with. I expect this range of powder charge with Bullseye to be right where I want to be for a nice light load.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master

About 10 years ago I loaded up some light plinking loads for the kids using 4.0 grs. of Clays behind a 200 gr. SAECO RNFP. It motors along at 812 fps. shot to 1 1/2"@ 25 yards, and I decided that it would be MY plinking load from then on.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    About 10 years ago I loaded up some light plinking loads for the kids using 4.0 grs. of Clays behind a 200 gr. SAECO RNFP. It motors along at 812 fps. shot to 1 1/2"@ 25 yards, and I decided that it would be MY plinking load from then on.
    Thank you sir!
    i have not reloaded for 25 years, so many of the powders, ie Clays, are complete unknowns.

i will aquire some and give your suggestion a try. Does Clays require a heavy roll crimp

Thanks again to Stubshaft!

Boolit Mold
    thanks Bazoo! I have a past acquaintance with Bullseye, and that is where I may start tinkering. Kind of hoping to use a more case filling powder, but...

Boolit Mold
    Appreciate the reply, but I will have to refuse. If I have to defend self or family nowadays I wish to stop the threat asap, and not just anger he/she/it/them. ( Must be gender inclusive, right...LOL) Thanks again.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Just as an off-the-wall idea If you feel you have a need for self-defense, I think I would go for a shot-shell load. Click image for larger version. 

Being re-tired LEO I loaded some .38/.357 Speer shot shells with 3-"ooo" buck and snuck a couple into my yearly qualification training. Shooting 300/300 was my norm, so imagine when the range officer, a captain who was a friend of mine, was scoring mine and found I had scored a 306 out of a possible 300! I showed him one of the rounds, and he quipped, "This idea may help those who CANNOT shoot to qualify!" We all chuckled, but even those I do not think I would choose for self-defense use, althoug...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WDW44 View Post
    Thank you sir!
    i have not reloaded for 25 years, so many of the powders, ie Clays, are complete unknowns.

i will aquire some and give your suggestion a try. Does Clays require a heavy roll crimp

Thanks again to Stubshaft!
    Not at all. Just a standard crimp is fine.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to you, Shooting on a shoestring. I have acquired some cast 185 grain full double ended wad cutters,and since I am prone to "big leaky holes" as you so aptly state, that may be the one. If I shoot with 5 bullseye,ad maybe 5-5,5 RED DOT I can almost hear the "SLAP" on flesh that will follow a well placed shot. I expect they will allow for quick follow-ups, should one be needed. BOOM! BOOM! is always a nice percussive sound!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    In the Charter Bulldog!!! Yeowch..
    on the Ammo end;
    If I have a Need to Shoot someone...last thing I will worry over is "what with"
    most of those "scary stories" are Internet BS and Liberal Crap... but, opinions are like???? I forget..
    I agree! I am certain some ******* will help our memories. I have carried daily for 52 years, and have had to pull on three occasions (on and of duty), and never have had to do the dirty of defending my life...yet. But times being like they are, the odds are more in favor of the armed citizen if serious social intercourse is in the offering. WDW44, ******* eliminator at large!

Boolit Mold

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pettypace View Post
    Load the 215 grain HBWC as intended, with the hollow base facing the powder. At 700 f/s that should reliably give about 18" of penetration in bare 10% gelatin with about 40 grams of wound mass by MacPherson's calculation. I'd use Bullseye until I ran out.
    That penetration should be sufficient, if all the variable coincide. Do you load those flush to the case mouth as intended, or...? I reversed the HBWC in 38 special for years and have a fun story when out hunting squirrels with a couple of old, and older friends who had .22 LR rifles. Handguns are quicker into action!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast