MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 mm Mauser Cast question

Boolit Master

8 mm Mauser Cast question

Well i did the unthinkable and bought a rifle that I have no dies / brass or bullets for
    its a Husqvarna Commercial Fn98 in 8x57 and when I saw it I thought rebarrel to 358 winchester as I have looked for a 358 and have not found one in my price range. been looking for a savage 99 in 358win for about 5 years passed on the last 2 i saw as they had been molested and too much $$

My Problem is when I got it home handled it cleaned and bore scoped the barrel.
    I like it the way it handles / the weight / feel / balance Barrel still needs a brush but looks excellent

It has a few problems cracked toe on the stock / no butt plate ...it came with a tasco scope and mounts (mounts were loose)

Question how cast friendly is the 8 mm Mauser thinking pinking round 100/200 yards max 300

Bonus it came with express rear sight

I have 30-06 brass as I load for m1 garand and a 35 wheelen

358 win was to be a pistol bullet plinking fun rifle but this one is too nice to do that to
    Last edited by Ford SD; 04-05-2024 at 09:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I have an Lee Karabiner that casts about a 215gr bullet, if I recall. It shoots well. I never plinked beyond 100 yds myself, but I would guess your rifle would shoot cast bullets well.
    You may want to slug the barrel and measure the throat, as there are a variety of molds available for 8mm.

Boolit Master

8x57 .323" is very cast friendly. All of mine are military but the Czech Persian 98/29 will put 5 rds into 1 hole at 50 yds. Heavy is better: Lyman 323471 sized .324" or .325" seated to touch the rifling. Powders like Unique are my favorite but 700X is also excellent as is 2400.

Dutch
    Last edited by Dutchman; 04-05-2024 at 11:17 PM.

My favorite 8 mms mold is an Accurate 33-205T, shoots GREAT in my Yugo M48. Flat nose hits hard on whitetail too. I have NOE 325470 or 471 too. My brothers Yugo has a smaller throat and loves the Lee 323- 175 grain. Your 8 x 57 will love cast!

Boolit Master

Well I was having some fun shooting that 230 gr 8mm Lee boolits over about 11 grains of Herco at 100 yds. I was hitting a chicken target on an 8X11 piece of notebook paper. My 8mm are both old model 93 Turks refurbished in the 1930's.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 04-06-2024 at 08:05 AM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

I’ve only shot cast in two 8x57 rifles; a Tikka T3 and a 29 (98) Polish sporter with original barrel.
    Both liked the 175 Lee bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Plain base or Gas check bullets ?

I have mostly used gas checks. I have since started powder coating, but haven't tried pc with plain base bullets yet. hc18flyer

Boolit Master

I have been making a few videos on the 8mm Mauser. Some cast but mostly jacketed. Its a good cast shooter. I have a few suitable molds.

https://youtu.be/SCR0eqpYEaQ?si=V8LorScmSF_LUZD1
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Mold
    I have a Mauser K98 that I inherited from my grandpa. I have only fired what was left, about 12, of a box of Remingtion "Kleanbore" and a box 20 of military surplus. Difficult to find ammo around here. I got a Lee 175gr mold, but I have not yet got set up to cast. My son, 42, has recently expressed interest in shooting, and loading, so I do not want to delay getting started, so I ordered a box of precast, lubed bullet and a box of new Hornady brass. I also have some IMR 3031, IMR 4895, and Trail Boss powder.

I have found loading data on the Hodgdon site for using both 3031 and 4895 with a 175 grain bullet, BUT that is a jacketed round. I am guessing that data would be too hot for a cast bullet. Where do I find data for cast bullets? Can someone suggest a starting load for what I have on hand?

Thanks for your help.

PS ....Well I am embarrassed.. Right after posting this, I found the "Sticky: CB load data: online sources". It was hidden, right AT THE TOP of the list. oops
    Last edited by hemmjo; 04-06-2024 at 09:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    I shoot Only Cast, in my 8X57's, wether Sported, or Military Trim. Red Dot for Fun, and 3031, for business..

Boolit Master
    Hemmjo:

Where in Ohio are you?
    Maybe I'm close enough to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    Plain base or Gas check bullets ?
    The Lee Precision 8mm boolit is gas checked.
    The Karabiner is too.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Ford SD ,
    Hang on to that 8 X 57 chambering .
    As a dedicated cast boolit shooter , a 175 gr or 190 gr. cast boolit ...
    Over 13 grs. Red Dot , makes for a real sweet shooter .
    Don't fear the gas check ... they can help with accuracy .
    Test it out before you dump it ... The 8 X 57 is a real sleeper and that Husky 98 was made to feed it perfectly .
    Try it ... you just might Like it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

+1 on the Lee 185 gr Gc boolit. The Lyman Loverlern design works well. Now I have this one https://www.mp-molds.com/product/8mm...2-cavity-mold/
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...r+jig&_sacat=0 get one!!!
    https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...saw-62136.html same!!!
    You can just use your full length die but these help https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012624638?pid=552646
    https://www.badacetactical.com/colle...nt-for-mausers These work well!

Boolit Mold
    Fred, just saw your message.

I am in central Ohio. Used to shoot at the ODNR Delaware range, 50 years ago. Then was able to shoot at home when I first moved out in the country. Then the corn and bean started growing houses. I can squeeze of a round once in a while to delete a groundhog, but I don't want to push my luck shooting too much. Now, traffic wise, I am a bit closer to Zaneville there are a couple of ranges in that area/

Boolit Master

I load for a couple old Turks..rough lookig rifles..but decent bores..cast n gas checked do great on paper for me. i use the lee c-324-175-1r mold.

Boolit Master

Quite a bit of my 8mm brass says 270 Win on the headstamp. I didn't have a 270. Point is it's easy to come up with brass from found brass in several calibers If brass is rare in your area. It is an excellent chambering to play around with.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    A Mauser 98 in 8x57 works as well as an ought six on any game. Excellent with cast bullets, I have used plain base commercial .324 cast boolits made for the 32-40/32 special for light plinking loads. Matt's Bullets has a .323 185 grain flat nose gas check bullet that runs well. The Lee 8mm 175gr works well, I have the Lee 8mm molds made for Midsouth, but have not tried them. The 8x57 is pretty much the grand daddy of all the 12mm/.470 based cartridges, 7x57, 30-06, .250 Savage... For a long time, most of my 8x57 brass said RA53 or FA 52 for the head stamp. Easy conversion, lube outside and in neck, size, trim.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Husky 640 on the FN commercial action. My most used deer rifle.
    30-06 can be resized into 8x57 easily. All my brass is converted Lake City 30-06.
    You don't need any special dies to do it. I just shorten the brass on a band saw, remove the decapper/expander button rod and run the brass through my Lyman sizing die. Then lube the inside of the neck and resize with the decapper/expander button rod installed to get the neck expanded. Trim to final length. Not bad or tedious if done in batches one step at a time.
    Tons of cast reloading data on this site. Plus, get the Lyman Cast Bullet book. Not a ton of boolets are listed for 8mm, but plenty of powders are covered. It will get you in the neighborhood and a place to double check any loads you see on this website.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast