MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Powder clinging to plastic 1# mfg container?

Boolit Buddy

Powder clinging to plastic 1# mfg container?

i have a 1# factory container of H110 that the powder is clinging to the walls of the plastic container. Per Hodgdon's recommendation i have cleaned all parts of my 550b associated with powder handling and scale with alcohol last night so everything should be dry. Any suggestions as to how i can safely remove the static charge from the 1# powder container?

Boolit Master

Get a dryer sheet and rub the outside of the container. The static will go away. Works for cars too if the owner keeps getting shocked by static electricity when first touching the door handle. Rub the seats well with the dryer sheet then put the sheet under the front seat.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    DOH!!!! Why didn't I think of THAT! Brilliant! Have a new powder reservoir for my Redding that has been driving me batty!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have ever used a tape recorder much you probably have a degaussing tool. Just plug it in and wave the tip over the outside of the powder bottle and it should remove all the magnetism.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the info! I have rubbed outside the 1# original factory plastic container with a new dryer sheet (Bounce brand dryer sheet if it matters). Did it enough that my wife asked me what smelled like dryer sheet! Put 2 spent (1 dryer cycle) dryer sheets inside powder container with the powder and rolled to hopefully reduce static charge(used spent so nothing flaked off a new sheet and contaminated the powder).
    Loaded about 10 more 357, watching powder funnel for clinging powder flakes/disks. Still seeing some powder clinging to bottom of Dillon 550 powder funnel. I remove and weigh charge it is good( a hair under scale line) but close enough. Before putting charged case back in press i tap bottom of powder funnel and about 5-10 powder particles fall. I brush them out of the way, reinstall charged case and index press. Next operation--same (a few powder flakes on bottom of powder funnel), but weight in scale perfect. Every charge when weighed has a few flakes clinging to the scale weighing pan, which it was doing prior to cleaning all powder handling components. The scale powder clingers were freed up by my finger. I loaded a few more and then noticed same powder problems and some of the powder clinging to the funnel had fallen onto the shellplate and the deck below it. That put me at the " time to quit" point so i cleaned the inside of the H110 1# plastic bottle with a dryer sheet and put the powder from the 550 hopper back into the powder container and put everything away and cleaned up the powder spilled on the 550. When i put the 550 away, i always put 2-3 spent dryer sheets in the empty powder hopper which usually gives me zero powder cling issues. I will reclean with alcohol the 550 powder handling components, scale pan, and the 2 funnels i use to get weighed charges back in case and the bigger funnel to get powder back in factory container. I will give it 1 more try after cleaning, if still have issues -- will feed the lawn with the rest of that # of powder, and go for another # of H110. The previously advised dryer sheet did help but did not completely remove the powder cling issue. I have had very few minor powder cling issues in past, all of which were able to be cleared with cleaning and dryer sheets. Never had a # of powder that was so difficult!
    Have used up a minimum of 10 # of H110 and am aware that some powders are more susceptible to static charge than others. Had a career in instrumentation, controls, automation for utilities so i am somewhat familiar with grounding and static charge precautions. I don't expect to need a wrist strap to load.

Boolit Buddy

I do have a degaussing tool, so i will try that, thanks!

...rub the part with graphite powder_
    straight from a pencil or from a hardware shop (sold to lube the locks)
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    When I bought my first powder funnel, the intruction sheet advised to wash the funnel with dishwater, and not to rinse it, just set it out to dry. must have worked, cause, I can't recall ever having problems with powder flakes clinging to it.

Boolit Buddy

Did the sospy water, no clear water rinse, do use dry graphite on steel powder bar and primer slide on the 550. Dryer sheet helped the most. Last attempt had about 3-5 powder kernels clinging to powder funnel/expander. Also powder clinging to RCBS 1000 scale pan. Have had a few previous powder static charge issues which went away with the dryer sheet. Never had as much issues with a single # of powder! Therefore i dumped the rest of the powder from that 1# of H110 on the lawn as it was not worth any more effort.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by upr45 View Post
    Did the sospy water, no clear water rinse, do use dry graphite on steel powder bar and primer slide on the 550. Dryer sheet helped the most. Last attempt had about 3-5 powder kernels clinging to powder funnel/expander. Also powder clinging to RCBS 1000 scale pan. Have had a few previous powder static charge issues which went away with the dryer sheet. Never had as much issues with a single # of powder! Therefore i dumped the rest of the powder from that 1# of H110 on the lawn as it was not worth any more effort.
    Jeeeze...I woulda took it off yer hands on my next trip over the top!!
    Oh Well...

Boolit Grand Master

The plastic tends to form a "Static-Cling" that attracts the powder ... that's why the anti-static cling dryer sheets work ...
    Several methods of fighting the problem work ... I think rubbing the plastic with the dryer sheet is easiest . I had a new funnel that was bad about sticking to powder, but I keep a dryer sheet around to rub it with ...
    Aluminum funnels don't do it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by upr45 View Post
    ...at worst, I would have tossed the container, not the powder !
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob