Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: What gun would you set up for hunting, 10mm, 40 Super, 45 Super, 460 Rowland??

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10mm

33 75.00%
  • 45 Super

6 13.64%
  • 460 Rowland

4 9.09%
  • 40 Super

1 2.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What were you guys recommend 10mm 40 Super or 45 Super?

What were you guys recommend 10mm 40 Super or 45 Super?

I'm debating on a build on which caliber to go with for hunting. The 10mm, 40 Super, 45 Super and even thought about the 460 Rowland?

I had a 45 super in the past which I liked but I sold the whole rig.

The 460 Roland would require a whole Barrel, muzzle brake setup and brass and the 40 super would entail a barrel, dies, brass.

From a cost perspective I think the 10 mm or 45 super would be the way to go.

Boolit Master

What are you hunting?

Boolit Master

As an aging cynic who sees more similarity between cartridges than differences or advantages, I lean toward superior logistics as much as anything.

The 10mm is not an exotic (just a little offbeat), or a wildcat, or a hotrod which can accidentally be stuck into a gun not rated for it. It pretty much duplicates the old 38-40WCF which does not have anything left to prove.

A Gen 5 MOS Glock 20 will run you about $600 delivered and be red-dot ready for use with off-the-shelf ammo. Your other choices will require time in the chop shop, a lot more money, and will likely deliver no discernable difference on meat.

A 4 to 6 inch DA .44 would be equally to the point.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    What type of hunting? Not enough info.

Boolit Master
    Would go with a 1911 10mm Longslide 6"... I've got a PARA and Kimber and both are excellent...

Also have a Kimber Stainless Target Longslide in .45 ACP that shoots Supers great...

If you want a Glock go with a 40 instead of a 20...much more shootable at longer hunting ranges...
    Last edited by RJM52; 04-04-2024 at 10:33 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    45 super. You can put it back to original and sell it later down the road. Doesn’t require anything special...

Boolit Mold
    Keep everything simple and go with 10mm

Boolit Master
    Yep, easy choice. 10mm longslide or std length compensated. Glock has that longslide version too but many choices these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    45 super. You can put it back to original and sell it later down the road...
    Building a gun, with thoughts of selling it later as one of the reasons you're building it, seems somewhat nonsensical... to put it politely. As much as I love the 45 caliber cartridges, I'm going to say 10mm, all day long. A ready-made solution to the theoretical problem. I'd personally opt for a revolver (in 45), but they're certainly not as cool as a semi-auto.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor's Daddy View Post
    Building a gun, with thoughts of selling it later as one of the reasons you're building it, seems somewhat nonsensical... to put it politely. As much as I love the 45 caliber cartridges, I'm going to say 10mm, all day long. A ready-made solution to the theoretical problem. I'd personally opt for a revolver (in 45), but they're certainly not as cool as a semi-auto.
    None of mine are for sale. But whenever someone else is getting rid of them after I am gone it will be easier on them.

Boolit Master
    .50ae

Boolit Bub
    45 super. It can do what the 460 Rowland will, using 45 acp brass.

I think, I'ma gonna go with the 45 Super or 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandspider500 View Post
    45 super. It can do what the 460 Rowland will, using 45 acp brass.
    45 Super web in the brass is much thicker than 45 ACP, I WOULD NOT HOT ROD IT.

Moderator Emeritus

If nothing else, reloading dies, brass, bullet moulds, etc., etc., etc. are fairly readily available for the 10mm Auto; this calibre can easily be loaded to charges more than minimally required for most hunting -- and, as a previous poster mentioned -- "keep it simple"!
    Yup -- if it were me, I'd go for the 10mm! S&W has a fine revolver -- their Model 610 -- in this calibre, and there is an abundance of semi-autos.
    As an addendum, my buddy Richard and I went on a hunt perhaps 25 years back -- old, but true story -- and he packed his .38 Super. Not a too-uncommon calibre -- but when we got ready to go out -- oops -- he had packed a box of "'38"s: .38 S&W Special. We wasted a half-day going to three different shops to seek some Super -- to no avail -- after which I told Richard that -- if needed/wanted -- he could use my .357 Ruger revolver. I still get a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing I most likely will be able to purchase ammo in the calibre I pack, should I need, at "local" purveyors.
    geo

Gotta agree with Bigslug on this one. 10MM is at least somewhat available, while the others are not.I can’t quote ballistics on any of them, and you don’t say what you plan to hunt, but to me handgun hunting is pretty much a stunt to begin with, so my advice is worth what you paid for it.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    10MM hey you asked.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    As an aging cynic who sees more similarity between cartridges than differences or advantages, I lean toward superior logistics as much as anything.

The 10mm is not an exotic (just a little offbeat), or a wildcat, or a hotrod which can accidentally be stuck into a gun not rated for it. It pretty much duplicates the old 38-40WCF which does not have anything left to prove.

A Gen 5 MOS Glock 20 will run you about $600 delivered and be red-dot ready for use with off-the-shelf ammo. Your other choices will require time in the chop shop, a lot more money, and will likely deliver no discernable difference on meat.

A 4 to 6 inch DA .44 would be equally to the point.
    +1 Goofy, odd-ball cartridges never do much more than stroke one's ego. Being able to pick up a box of ammo at a small town, hardware store during a hunting trip when your ammo is back home 500 miles away is a really good thing. Ask me how I know.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by huntersdog View Post
    45 Super web in the brass is much thicker than 45 ACP, I WOULD NOT HOT ROD IT.

If you plan on shooting it out of an unsupported barrel, then yes by all means use the stronger brass, that's what it was made for. If using a barrel that has maximum case support normal ol 45 acp brass will work just fine.

Boolit Bub
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/wh...loads.1944420/

If anyone I interested in real world velocities from factory 10mm muh magmum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast