Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: 1:10+ Twist 7mm Rem Mag

Boolit Master

1:10+ Twist 7mm Rem Mag

Anyone herd of this?

I have a Interarms MarkX in 7mm Remington Magnum. I have been "sprucing it up for the last few months. I first replaced the stock. Then bedded the front lug. It came Pillar bedded. Then I picked up some LWT one piece Talley bases and a Sig 30mm 4-16 scope.
    The gun has shot OK but same OK with anything I have tried. 1.25-2" groups. I found H4350 and Speer 160's will shoot 3/4" @ 100y. But "slow" @ 2860 max loads.
    Ultimately, I want to shoot Federal Terminal Acsent 155g bullets. Well I tried some last week and discovered it would not stabilize them!! They are longer then 175g Sierra or Hornady BT bullets. Oblong holes!!!

Checked it with a tight dry patch and came up with just over 1:10. Not believing that and expecting 1:9 range... I got bore scope and carefully measured and counted rifling. Yup, confirmed, 1 turn in 10.25".

I read that Weatherbys 7mags was twisted 1:10 but most 7mm's I have seen are 1:9 range.

I can absolutely live with Speer 160's but invested in these Terminal Acsent bullets cause... Well cause they are awesome hunting bullets.

Anyone see this before??

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Back in my 7mag days, IMR 4350 was my favorite powder, IMR 4831 was OK too, but I kept coming back to 4350.
    It was also the most accurate in my Rem700 right up at the max. of published data.
    I can't remember exactly, but I was a big Sierra fan, and loaded (I think)150gr Game Kings in it.

Usually, bullets on the heavier side want a faster twist to stabilize,
    but 160s really shouldn't be a problem with a slightly slower twist.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Anyone herd of this?

I have a Interarms MarkX in 7mm Remington Magnum. I have been "sprucing it up for the last few months. I first replaced the stock. Then bedded the front lug. It came Pillar bedded. Then I picked up some LWT one piece Talley bases and a Sig 30mm 4-16 scope.
    The gun has shot OK but same OK with anything I have tried. 1.25-2" groups. I found H4350 and Speer 160's will shoot 3/4" @ 100y. But "slow" @ 2860 max loads.
    Ultimately, I want to shoot Federal Terminal Acsent 155g bullets. Well I tried some last week and discovered it would not stabilize them!! They are longer then 175g Sierra or Hornady BT bullets. Oblong holes!!!

Checked it with a tight dry patch and came up with just over 1:10. Not believing that and expecting 1:9 range... I got bore scope and carefully measured and counted rifling. Yup, confirmed, 1 turn in 10.25".

I read that Weatherbys 7mags was twisted 1:10 but most 7mm's I have seen are 1:9 range.

I can absolutely live with Speer 160's but invested in these Terminal Acsent bullets cause... Well cause they are awesome hunting bullets.

Anyone see this before??

CW
    I don't think that 1:10" is uncommon at all. My uncle's 700 from 1968 is listed as a 1:9", but it sure ain't! Handles the heavier bullets just fine. He finished off my brother's first elk at 950 yards without a hitch.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk