Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Snub nose .32 H&R Mag load data. 100 Grain

Boolit Mold

Snub nose .32 H&R Mag load data. 100 Grain

Good Morning,
    I am new to reloading and have all my supplies decided except the correct powder to use for my practice range ammo. I have the S&W Ultra Carry (J frame) in .32 H&R Magnum. I plan to only reload .32HR and.38 Special with cast lead for paper targets.

Will be using Starline .32 H&R brass, CCI Small pistol primer and Rim Rock Bullets.32 100 grain RNFP (.313) and their .32 100 GR. DEWC (.313). These are all I can currently find for range ammo. I got their info from the Handloader article by Brian Pearce:
    https://www.handloadermagazine.com/3...gnum-pet-loads

That article has a chart for J-Frames and the Rim Roc 100 Grain RNFP with 6.0 grains of A-7 is listed as : "Potentially being the most accurate with that particular bullet". I was ready to purchase the Accurate #7 but was told by the only reloader i know that "A-7 is for larger caliber loads and is dirty". Is there any truth to that or should i stick with A-7 as posted on Handloader article.

I have The Modern Reloading Man. 2nd Edition and it only has Bullseye listed for 100 grain .32HR MAg.

If you have a recommendation for a better powder to use with 100 grains threw a snub nose than #7 for .32 H&R i would really apricate any insight. Thank you!
    Last edited by Ultarnr25; 04-03-2024 at 11:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    Don't know about better...But, I have had much more success with AA#5 than AA#7 in 32's. In fact AA#5 is my go to, in .32, H&R or S&WLong.. or, good ole Unique...which cannot be sourced locally here...so BE-86
    tho Unique has not been bested in 32S&W (no L)

Boolit Grand Master

Accurate #7 is a slower burning powder , better suited to longer barrels and possibly larger bores ... It wouldn't be my first choice ... or my second .
    Accurate #5 is shown in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 as possibly the most accurate powder with a 100gr. cast bullet .
    I , at first , thought Accurate #5 would be too sloww , but looking at the data ...
    it might be just the ticket ... The 32 H&R Magnum develops more pressure than I thought . No loading data is shown for A #7 ... so it might be a little too slow .
    My first thought for powder was ... Unique and 231/HP-38 ... Accurate #5 is just a tad slower than Unique so A#5 makes sense in the 32 H&R Magnum .

If you are going to load cast bullets ...you realy Need the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition !
    Lee's Modern Reloading Manual ... is ok at best but honestly ... it sorta Sucks Rocks ... and I like a lot of Lee Products ... just being honest about the reloading manual.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-03-2024 at 07:06 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Accurate #7 is a slower burning powder , better suited to longer barrels and possibly larger bores ... It wouldn't be my first choice ... or my second .
    Accurate #5 is shown in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 as possibly the most accurate powder with a 100gr. cast bullet .
    I , at first , thought Accurate #5 would be too sloww , but looking at the data ...
    it might be just the ticket ... The 32 H&R Magnum develops more pressure than I thought . No loading data is shown for A #7 ... so it might be a little too slow .
    My first thought for powder was ... Unique and 231/HP-38 ... Accurate #5 is just a tad slower than Unique so A#5 makes sense in the 32 H&R Magnum .

If you are going to load cast bullets ...you realy Need the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition !
    Lee's Modern Reloading Manual ... is ok at best but honestly ... it sorta Sucks Rocks ... and I like a lot of Lee Products ... just being honest about the reloading manual.
    Gary
    Correction...3rd Edition...the 4th is Lame!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had pretty fair luck with WW-231 in my experiments with the 32 H&R. An MP 314-640 100 grain HP over 4 grains is pretty good. Some place I have some loaded with Power Pistol but I have never got around to testing them.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I have had pretty fair luck with WW-231 in my experiments with the 32 H&R. An MP 314-640 100 grain HP over 4 grains is pretty good. Some place I have some loaded with Power Pistol but I have never got around to testing them.
    I like 231 alot...not as much as AA#5 in the H&R...But, maybe more in the 32 S&W Long.. Can't get either locally at this time...and Prices?? Yeowch!! so, experimenting with BE-86, cause it IS available...

Boolit Mold
    Just ordered the 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Handbook. I will try 1 pound of each 231 and Accurate #5 and make a few batches of each.

Thank you for the replies, very excited to press my first rounds!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultarnr25 View Post
    Just ordered the 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Handbook. I will try 1 pound of each 231 and Accurate #5 and make a few batches of each.

Thank you for the replies, very excited to press my first rounds!
    If you buying books, and reloading Handguns, I have nearly Dog-Eared the pages of the Lyman second edition Pistol and Revolver reloading handbook!!!

Boolit Master
    Since you're reloading for a short barreled revolver you might be better off using a faster powder. For a 100 grain cast bullet I'd recommend a 3.2 grain load of Red Dot. This should give you some good target accuracy without a lot of the powder burning up after it's left the barrel. When You do start casting your own I highly recommend the RCBS 32-98-SWC mold, which generally drops bullets at around 100 grains. Also, you can download a pdf copy of the 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for free here; https://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Man...-%20Reduce.pdf

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    405: thanks for the link, sir!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    While I love me some RedDot...in my .32's it has just Not been the Berries!! Maybe it will be in yours...I really Like win 231...wish we had some Locally...at a price I don't have to sell a Child to Afford!!
    When/If, I find a load for my 32S&W and S&W Longs...with Nitro100 NF...I can let ya know if you like..
    Last edited by racepres; 04-04-2024 at 04:45 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can't find W231 ... I've been told HP-38 is the same powder by another maker
    I think Hodgdon has now bought both powders ???
    But if you can't find W231 ... look for HP-38 , they are two peas in the same pod .
    And would be good for short bbl 32 H&R Magnum application .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"