MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trophy Carpenter Bee

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    If you run out of grits, salt works pretty good.
    Kosher salt has bigger granules.
    I found it hits harder than regular table salt in my bug-a-salt gun.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    How I envy you and others residing in great states/areas! In New York State, most places, one might last minutes even carrying out a revolver with cylinder open and by a pencil in barrel before you'd probably get arrested!!! For bugs of most all types, those cans of Black Flag Wasp Spray are about all we may safely employ.
    Yes I imagine a lot has changed in 40 years since I left. Don’t think I’d get away with ghosting woodchucks off the back porch anymore. Like I did when I lived up near Ticonderoga. Heck for all I know they’re protected species up there now lol. Is it true the chipmunks are having a sexual identity crisis. Sorry couldn’t help it you have my condolences. Like I said I left 40 years ago and don’t regret not ever being back there.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I am using a 629 S&W and although they are not prone to rust, I wonder if the salt residue would hurt the gun. After reading the suggestions, I found some walnut shell media that I was going to throw out. I guess hording has advantages....sometimes.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

What is the process for the grits or walnut shell loads? Cereal box wads with the grits sandwiched between the layers? Also about how much media is a good load?
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Grand Master
    I have seen reports of folks using acini di pepe pasta or pastina for "shot".
    Don Verna

I was reading thru the shot load threads and realized I had 10lbs of spent water filter media. It is 75/25 copper and zinc shavings, called KDF-85. Would probably shred anything hit with it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240405_093523.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	325460

Boolit Master

Have you tried those in a pistol/revolver? Would not those tiny flakes plate the bore with copper and zinc. Not all that sure, just curious. james

Boolit Buddy
    Loaded a bunch of 45 Colt with rice. Used it for 10 years every summer. Loads of fun.

Loaded some 444Marlin cases with Red Dot and rice for the Pedersoli Howdah. Going to really go after those big wood bees.

Don

Boolit Man
    My bride thought my son and I were silly shooting carpenter bees and wasps with the 45 colt walnut shell loads until she tried it. Now I have to keep a good supply of walnut loads just for her.
    Indeed we now get a chuckle of seeing her patrolling about the porch. Also has a good hit ratio.

We also make #10 and #12 shot rimfire loads with #4 gelatin capsules for slightly longer distance work. Just don’t get them wet.

Boolit Master

When the occasional carpenter bee buzzes my shop, I break out my badminton racket. It makes for great fun. Just stand still with your racket at “cocked & locked” and swing away.

Not sure why they come around. I don’t have any wood exposed anywhere.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Man
    And one day last summer I managed to get about 2 dozen carpenter bees with a 5 foot piece of furring strip just outside my hangar doors. A racket was too short. They were lying wounded all over.

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Have you tried those in a pistol/revolver? Would not those tiny flakes plate the bore with copper and zinc. Not all that sure, just curious. james
    I have not but would it be worse than lead shot?

Boolit Master
    For the underground yellow jackets, I use a weed eater over the hole and stomp the ground around the hole to get them to come out. I call it my whirling dervish. For around or inside the house, I use a bug-a-salt gun.

Loaded some .45LC 2.0gr of TiteWad with long grain rice between 2 cardboard wads. I chucked a .45ACP case in my drillpress, ran it with a file on the mouth at angle to sharpen it and cut the wads with it spinning. Drilled the primer out and pushed the wads out from the back.

Shooting out of my ADC .45/.410. Blows them away like Dirty Harry. How about a new caliber name?
    .45 Long Grain

Here's a couple vids of me hunting lol.

Name:	20240405_160219.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	325472

Name:	20240405_163925.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	325473

https://youtube.com/shorts/dKzC7qiK5lc?feature=shared
    https://youtube.com/shorts/AAhpTP48dF4?feature=shared
    Last edited by steve urquell; 04-05-2024 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    What is the process for the grits or walnut shell loads? Cereal box wads with the grits sandwiched between the layers? Also about how much media is a good load?
    I drilled my 44 brass primer pockets with a 1/8" drill bit and seated a std primer. Then weighed 1.5 gr of Bullseye and loaded it, then took a Lee powder scoop and filled the case with grits, walnut shells or what ever directly on top of the powder charge. Then, like Steve showed in his post, I sharpened a 44 case with a chamfer tool and used a hammer to pound out some milk carton wads with a piece of scrap carpet to pound on. Next take a ball point pen, pencil, small wooden dowel and seat the wad just below flush in the whole concoction and apply a roll crimp. Easy to do. Good luck
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I drilled my 44 brass primer pockets with a 1/8" drill bit and seated a std primer. Then weighed 1.5 gr of Bullseye and loaded it, then took a Lee powder scoop and filled the case with grits, walnut shells or what ever directly on top of the powder charge. Then, like Steve showed in his post, I sharpened a 44 case with a chamfer tool and used a hammer to pound out some milk carton wads with a piece of scrap carpet to pound on. Next take a ball point pen, pencil, small wooden dowel and seat the wad just below flush in the whole concoction and apply a roll crimp. Easy to do. Good luck
    The "Steve" you are referring to is me lol. I went thru the forum on here after posting my question for shot loads and got a little direction. I did a wad on the powder and another on top. I will try no wad on the bottom next time. Thanks. This is fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    When the occasional carpenter bee buzzes my shop, I break out my badminton racket. It makes for great fun. Just stand still with your racket at “cocked & locked” and swing away.

Not sure why they come around. I don’t have any wood exposed anywhere.
    chinese sells everywhere a sort of cheap electrified tennis racket, just engineered to fry anything flies.
    beautiful ZOT sound, btw
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

You need to get it mounted ...
    A nice shoulder mount would look good on the wall ...
    But you have to stop with the "Heel Stomp" ...
    That drives the Taxidermists insane ... all the extra work !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    You need to get it mounted ...
    A nice shoulder mount would look good on the wall ...
    But you have to stop with the "Heel Stomp" ...
    That drives the Taxidermists insane ... all the extra work !
    Gary
    He was wiggling just a bit, so I put him out of OUR misery. After a couple of these flying insects put me into anaphylatic shock, I find it really hard to have a shred of compassion for them. Hard to believe that only 2 little critters this small can kill you....but they can.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123