Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BP revolver chamber lube ratio?

Boolit Bub
    Delkal; Why would you throw the gun away? And it just scrapped the side of the gun. I found the problem corrected it and still shoot the gun. The balls come out slower due to not going down the barrel in front of built up pressure. More smoke n noise than anything along with more recoil.
    Graysmoke

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Beeswax = 0%, Crisco = 100%

I've always used straight Crisco in the chamber mouths - besides lubing the barrel/boolit, as the sloppiness spreads around the revolver during repeated firing, it makes for easier cleaning at the shooting session's end.
    if you lived in SC you would know how silly that is....

Boolit Master
    100% Crisco worked fine when I lived in Southern California.
    But when I moved to Arizona with our heat, it melted too easily

Boolit Master
    Y’all that mentioned beveling the chamber mouths, what tool did you use? I was thinking a hand turned reamer or a cone shaped stone.

Boolit Master
    I used an angled reamer that I got from Brownells for doing barrel muzzles crowns .
    I just made a collar that fit the cylinder to hold it square.
    It didn’t take long with that 45 angled reamer to take off that sharp square edge .

Boolit Master
    how did my post on lube ratio turn into this? Some cant stay on topic to save their lives

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Barnabus: that is the joy of creating a thread on the forums. First rabbit to run, and there we go! I haven't had a thread yet that didn't go south.

BTW: my favorite lube is 100% lard, in the Fall/Winter/Spring and a mix of 1-to-3 beeswax/lard for Summer. I found. years ago, that lard improved my groups. Don't ask me why: all I know (and a couple of gents I was associated with that shot BP Competitions tried it and switched) is that it works.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Are you trying to say
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    I need to consider making my own wool felt wads as well. Wayne, where do you buy your felt, and what thickness?
    Regarding chamber mouth grease, I am going to experiment with "Udderly Smooth" lanolin skin moisturizer. The Victorian rifle shooters over at the British Militaria forums have discovered that dipping the noses of their already-lubed .577 Snider and .577-450 Martini cartridges just before firing into the little tub of Udderly Smooth results in perfect fouling control.
    Sorry I didn't see your response before this. I got the wool felt from a local JoAnn Fabric store (there is probably an equivalent in TX.) I didn't bother to measure, but did check to make sure it was 100% wool felt. I use the lid from a large tin and cut the felt to fit. Then pour melted lube to saturate. A hollow punch of the correct size completes the job. When using a very soft lube, the wads have a tendency to stick together, so getting them apart in good shape to use can be a challenge.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Bub
    I started my black powder adventure with a revolver, a cheap brass framed one. My wife got it for me for Christmas '73. I took it to the farm to try it out that afternoon. All the men went with me to see the spectacle!!! And a spectacle it was! I failed to put grease over the balls and the balls were a bit irregular and I had serious chain fire, like all six went off at once! The ball in bottom cylinder lodged in frame. Oddly enough it didn't damage the gun or ME! I shot it for many years afterward until the frame got hammered out, giving the cyl a lot of play. I then made a steel ring to take up the play and shot it some more! Sold or traded it, I don't remember.....Have fun!...LK

Boolit Bub
    Longknife, I did the same around the same time, only couldn’t do the steel ring replacement. I just found a steel frame to replace the brass, works just fine still shooting it. Never had a chain fire due to loose caps, only on powder management or mismanagement to be correct. SLOPPY LOADING!
    Graysmoke

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I nearly always make bold statements reflecting my experience. It does cause people to argue with me. it used to bother me a lot. These days I just don't care. Everybody should just do as they want, it doesn't affect me at all. I don't post my experience much anymore because people don't listen anyway. Waste of time.....
    They dont listen to me either but I figure I must need the typing practice. If you reckon its more likely a chain fire starts at the back - I proly agree

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    They dont listen to me either but I figure I must need the typing practice. If you reckon its more likely a chain fire starts at the back - I proly agree
    Same here. There have been numerous chain fires caught on video, and on a frame by frame analysis, shows that they all started at the nipple. The only chain fire I ever had, was on an 1860 Army. It was a mouse fart load of 12 gr of powder behind the .454 dia ball, and the chamber mouths were completely packed with CVA lube. Impossible for it to start in the front.

As to the original post, you will have to play with your lube a bit, because I have found that your environment plays a big part of it. Here in MO, what works in the summer, won't work in the winter, and vice versa, and none of my lubes like south Texas where I pig hunt, as they don't soften the fouling enough in the dry heat there, a couple of cylinders full and things start to get a bit gummy.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy
    Not long after having two chain fires in the same Pietta Shooters Model. (I ignored the owners manual instructions to use a .465” ball and used the same .457” balls I used in my other revolvers. I seldom use lube pills and didn’t in this case.) This resulted in two chain fires so I cleaned the gun and put it away until I had the proper balls.
    This raised the question. Are they caused from the front or the rear of the cylinder? I loaded a revolver which had never chain fired in my normal manner but I left the caps completely off of the cone on every other chamber. Fired every other chamber without issue. Feeling brave I reloaded those 3 chambers and then capped one chamber. Bang. Proceeded to cap each advancing chamber and fire them all normally. This was using a Colt 1860. I’ve done the same with the Remington Shooter referred to above and later with a Ruger Old Army. I have never been able to get a revolver to chain fire other than by using an undersized ball.

I contend that if you use the proper size ball or bullet in a revolver in good repair you will never experience a chain fire. Or at least that’s been my experience of the past 60+ years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12